Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. BLACK & WHITE #102 is OPEN to showcase your B&Ws > JOIN IN HERE <
    Dismiss Notice
  2. > PLEASE DONATE HERE < for your community, THANK YOU!
  3. Dismiss Notice

Time Stamp Closed: TS147 2pm Saturday Sept-1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by FundyBrian, 30 August 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Time Stamp - Phase 3

New Changes to Time Stamp: We have decided to dispense with the Wrap-up and the Grand Wrapper-Upper and see how that goes. No more favourite photo picked each week. In addition to posting our 2pm photos and the usual exchanges about photos and stories, the focus has changed to enjoying Time Stamp as a happening in itself.

If you have any ideas to make Time Stamp more fun please share them with us.
    -------------------------------------
    Join the intrepid Time Stamp team for Saturday, 2pm, adventures!

Overview: Here at MobiTog we have participants all over the world, in many different time zones. What if everyone made a picture at 2pm on Saturday, of whatever is going on, wherever they happen to be, and share that picture on Time Stamp. We should end up with a global snapshot of what is going on everywhere at 2 pm. This could be ordinary, humorous, puzzling, but it is bound to be interesting. The Time Stamp title comes from the metadata that is added to every new photo at the time it is made, the creation date and time.

Normally there is no theme, but it could happen sometime so watch out:). Set your phone alarm or alert to go off at 2pm. Wherever you happen to be at that time make some photos that tell us something about your location, what you are doing, what you see, whatever is happening, or make something happen. An important detail is that your picture(s) must be made between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, your local time, on Saturday afternoon. Post your pictures (up to 3) on this thread. See what others are doing in many places around the world.

If you would like some extra challenge to your Time Stamp activities make use of the opportunity to develop your ability to come up with good photos on the spot, or on demand, even when it seems there is nothing around to work with, and even if you don’t feel the least bit inspired. To discover the extraordinary among the ordinary. This is the skill of a photojournalist. Too often people only make photos when they feel inspired or when the weather is nice. It is about learning and personal growth. Sharpening your powers of observation and then igniting creativity to create something out of nothing. It is also the ability to make a good photo that can stand on it’s own without relying on a bunch of editing to prop it up. Time Stamp is also about sharing how you feel about the situations/subjects you discover.

Rules:
    • Standard Mobitog image rules apply. Images must be captured/created & edited entirely on a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet. Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE
    • All images must be photographed and edited between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, local time. Any editing must be done within that time frame. In other words, don't rely on extensive image manipulation or compositing. These things are allowed, but must be accomplished within the 20 minute window of opportunity. Better to concentrate on capturing a unique moment at 2pm.
    • In addition to the regular (up to) 3 images, you are now allowed to post one additional image, if you want, to help "set the scene". This image should be described as "to set the scene" or "setting the scene", or "the location" or something similar.
    • You are free to photograph something actually happening, or nothing happening, or make something happen, or to create your own image from scratch, as long as it and any added parts or layers are photographed within the 2:00 to 2:20pm window of opportunity.

Time Shift Exemption: This applies to special events happening outside the usual Time Stamp window. If you think the event is significant enough and that others would like to see it you can claim the Time Shift Exemption and move your 2pm to fit the event. Try not to overuse this loophole.

Post your images to this thread.

Closing date: entries must be posted no later than 2pm the following day (Sunday). You can post your images right away after making them but if you happen to be in a situation where this is not possible, you have 24 hours.

• Have some creative fun!

Time Stamp is hereby declared an acronym-free zone.

Tips on setting alarms: you can use the Calendar app to set 2 alerts. I like to set the first alert 1 hour ahead in case I have completely forgotten (where's my phone!)(my battery is dead). The second alert I set 15 minutes ahead so I can get ready. You can create a second event at the same time for more alerts! Maybe set your alarm clock to go off right at 2pm to make you jump. Set another alarm to let you know when your time is up.

If you would like to join in the fun, just post a message below saying "I'm in!"

2. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’m in. Awaiting the arrival of RoseCat on another leg of her road trip.

3. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    :thumbs:

GroovyGouvy and JillyG like this.
  4. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I’m in!

GroovyGouvy, JillyG and FundyBrian like this.
  5. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    326EE418-365F-4927-8771-9BE27F11D754.jpeg
    Saturday 2pm is coming soon to a time zone near you!

6. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Hey, this is cool!!

7. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    I'm invoking a slightly modified time shift exemption, the "I wasn't paying attention to the time and only thought about time stamp after the specified time had expired time shift exemption."
    I'm aware I can set an alarm on my phone but I prefer as few notifications as I can. My other half's phone is bleeping and chirping with notifications all day long and that's how she likes it but that would drive me to distractìon so I turn off all notifications except phone calls and texts.

That aside, at 2 today I was digging up spuds.
    This year I have around 15 plants with 3 extra that have come up from potatoes missed when digging up last years crop.
    I had a lot of seed potatoes from last years crop that I'd stored in the shed and forgotten about. Stumbling on them this spring and with no other space available I planted them in the compost heap. Several have died back already what with the hot, dry summer so I've started digging them up and processing the compost.
    This is 3 plants worth.
    20180901_145410.jpg
    It's not a big crop but I over crowded them and they've died back earlier than normal but no slug damage this year. The hot dry summer has given us a healthier crop than most years.

And here's a random 'grew from last years crop because I accidentally didn't dig it up' spud plant that's come up between bedding plants.
    You can also see the toilet bowl plant pot my other half created a few years ago in this pic.
    20180901_145741.jpg
    And lastly my fig has finally produced a couple of fruits. I've had this over a decade, possibly 2 for all I know and this spring I repotted it for the first time, chopping half it's pot bound roots off and it's rewarded me with these. My other half says they are ripe so I'll harvest them later.
    Tea tonight will be jacket spuds with cheese and baked beans with figs for after.
    20180901_151110.jpg

deepop, MsDee, zenjenny and 6 others like this.
  8. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I am sooooo impressed with your spuds (no pun intended :mobibabe:). I struggle to get anything from my potato plants. And just look at those figs. Incredible. I bow before your green fingers.:notworthy: Oh, and you oop North too.:notworthy::notworthy:

9. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Brilliant. Figs are so expensive so I haven’t had them for ages but quite coincidentally I bought some on sale today. Lovely.

10. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    We have been without power since 2pm more than 6 hours ago! I decided to go for a walk in the woods for timestamp and couldn’t understand why I couldn’t set the house alarm. Waiting for the internet to come back at home before I post my pics. Ended up spending the whole afternoon reading a book. Couldn’t do any of the other things I needed to do without electricity. Now I’m sitting in the dark with a candle wondering what to do. :confused:

Edit: yippee the lights came on at 8.35pm

So here are my images. Trying to find an manual camera app that I feel comfortable with. Halide is in the lead at the moment although I don't seem to be able to save RAW and jpg. Quite like Prime too. Struggle to focus with ProCamera.

This is the entrance to the forest. Halide RAW and Snapseed
    IMG_6128.JPG

Halide Portrait and Apollo
    IMG_6129.JPG

Muslim Memorial. Halide RAW and Snapseed
    IMG_6130.JPG

Last edited: 1 September 2018
  11. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    As one would expect when in Alma, New Brunswick, Canada, we were hiking at 2:00pm. :D

3E19055F-2C02-4B56-B966-29DA3745B2A7.jpeg 9F6401D6-8B54-4F0C-9240-238751A9A3F0.jpeg 44E0CE7D-7B45-492B-88CF-2329BA617FCC.jpeg
    Shot with Pure camera app, edited in Snapseed

12. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Fab!

Ah, shot with Pure. Is Brian giving you some tips?

13. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    :lol:
    Wow....that’s an amazing crop! They’re beautiful.
    Oh, look at these beauties!! I bet they taste even more delicious because it took so long to get them. I echo Jilly’s sentiments. :notworthy:

GroovyGouvy, rizole and JillyG like this.
  14. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Isn’t it amazing how our lives seem to fall apart without electricity? And not that long ago families were living every day without it.

Your trail looks similar to the one I was on today!

ImageArt, GroovyGouvy and JillyG like this.
  15. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Yes!! I’ve had it forever, but having someone show tips/tricks in person is soooooo much easier for me. Now you and Jilly have to give me iColorama tutes next time we hang out.

ImageArt, deepop, GroovyGouvy and 2 others like this.
  16. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    Good news :)

17. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    Spud update:
    Some of the plants produced fruits this year. Fun potato fact, they are from the nightshade family and so are tomatoes. Which is why the fruit of potatoes look a bit tomatoey. 20180901_165822.jpg
    Many nightshade plants produce alkaloids that have toxic effects, which is why you shouldn't eat green potatoes. The family include tobacco, peppers and belladonna.

deepop, MsDee, GroovyGouvy and 3 others like this.
  18. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Cool.... I knew about the nightshade bit but didn’t know potatos fruited! Nor have I ever seen the fruit.

GroovyGouvy and JillyG like this.
  19. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    Apparently you can grow potatoes from the seeds in the fruit but none will produce the same variety of potato and usually quite a poor quality crop, which is why you use the potato tuber to grow new plants. I've often fancied growing a load from seed. Every now and then the process will throw up a good quality crop and is how new varieties are created. It can take very many years so you've got to be motivated I guess.

ImageArt, GroovyGouvy, JillyG and 2 others like this.
  20. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    And Nightshade. I have some growing in my front yard.

21. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    A little before 2 we were at the end point of the East Branch trail in Fundy National Park. There’s an old logging dam at the river and a little pond above the dam. Here’s a link to an interactive 360 panorama that shows Fabi and RoseCat trying not to look posed.
    http://pnr.ma/avwCys
    DMD Panorama.

We considered staying until 2 but decided to continue on our hike and see where we ended up at 2pm.

Our 2pm alerts went off at the same time and we began to look around for subject matter.
    C63544DD-0FB9-4BA9-9525-BB9489E52B65.jpeg
    Here’s Catherine photographing the mushroom she posted.
    A63B5FED-9E32-43BF-8B2A-91D4BDFBE708.jpeg
    Hiking feet in action.

FF913CE3-9E54-4B70-87C6-B83935D93C85.jpeg
    Close-up of a nice community of lichen on a trail-side rock.

55613ED2-7999-4DE6-987F-27D355517A0F.jpeg
    Here’s Fabi & Catherine continuing on our hike.

Last edited: 2 September 2018
    ImageArt, deepop, MsDee and 7 others like this.
  22. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    These are fun!!

FundyBrian, GroovyGouvy and JillyG like this.
  23. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Wow, what a successful gardener. Even unexpected. :thumbs: The figs must be delicious.

RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  24. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Glad to hear you have the electrickery back. :thumbs:
    Great pictures. Sooo inviting.

RoseCat, ImageArt and FundyBrian like this.
  25. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Same thought … :lol:

ImageArt likes this.