• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Time Stamp Closed: TS150! 2pm Saturday Sept-22

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Time Stamp - Phase 3

New Changes to Time Stamp: We have decided to dispense with the Wrap-up and the Grand Wrapper-Upper and see how that goes. No more favourite photo picked each week. In addition to posting our 2pm photos and the usual exchanges about photos and stories, the focus has changed to enjoying Time Stamp as a happening in itself.

If you have any ideas to make Time Stamp more fun please share them with us.
-------------------------------------
Join the intrepid Time Stamp team for Saturday, 2pm, adventures!

Overview: Here at MobiTog we have participants all over the world, in many different time zones. What if everyone made a picture at 2pm on Saturday, of whatever is going on, wherever they happen to be, and share that picture on Time Stamp. We should end up with a global snapshot of what is going on everywhere at 2 pm. This could be ordinary, humorous, puzzling, but it is bound to be interesting. The Time Stamp title comes from the metadata that is added to every new photo at the time it is made, the creation date and time.

Normally there is no theme, but it could happen sometime so watch out:). Set your phone alarm or alert to go off at 2pm. Wherever you happen to be at that time make some photos that tell us something about your location, what you are doing, what you see, whatever is happening, or make something happen. An important detail is that your picture(s) must be made between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, your local time, on Saturday afternoon. Post your pictures (up to 3) on this thread. See what others are doing in many places around the world.

If you would like some extra challenge to your Time Stamp activities make use of the opportunity to develop your ability to come up with good photos on the spot, or on demand, even when it seems there is nothing around to work with, and even if you don’t feel the least bit inspired. To discover the extraordinary among the ordinary. This is the skill of a photojournalist. Too often people only make photos when they feel inspired or when the weather is nice. It is about learning and personal growth. Sharpening your powers of observation and then igniting creativity to create something out of nothing. It is also the ability to make a good photo that can stand on it’s own without relying on a bunch of editing to prop it up. Time Stamp is also about sharing how you feel about the situations/subjects you discover.

Rules:
• Standard Mobitog image rules apply. Images must be captured/created & edited entirely on a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet. Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE
• All images must be photographed and edited between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, local time. Any editing must be done within that time frame. In other words, don't rely on extensive image manipulation or compositing. These things are allowed, but must be accomplished within the 20 minute window of opportunity. Better to concentrate on capturing a unique moment at 2pm.
• In addition to the regular (up to) 3 images, you are now allowed to post one additional image, if you want, to help "set the scene". This image should be described as "to set the scene" or "setting the scene", or "the location" or something similar.
• You are free to photograph something actually happening, or nothing happening, or make something happen, or to create your own image from scratch, as long as it and any added parts or layers are photographed within the 2:00 to 2:20pm window of opportunity.

Time Shift Exemption: This applies to special events happening outside the usual Time Stamp window. If you think the event is significant enough and that others would like to see it you can claim the Time Shift Exemption and move your 2pm to fit the event. Try not to overuse this loophole.

Post your images to this thread.

Closing date: entries must be posted no later than 2pm the following day (Sunday). You can post your images right away after making them but if you happen to be in a situation where this is not possible, you have 24 hours.

• Have some creative fun!

Time Stamp is hereby declared an acronym-free zone.

Tips on setting alarms: you can use the Calendar app to set 2 alerts. I like to set the first alert 1 hour ahead in case I have completely forgotten (where's my phone!)(my battery is dead). The second alert I set 15 minutes ahead so I can get ready. You can create a second event at the same time for more alerts! Maybe set your alarm clock to go off right at 2pm to make you jump. Set another alarm to let you know when your time is up.

If you would like to join in the fun, just post a message below saying "I'm in!"

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
To set the scene, it was at this point that I realised that 1981mm is only 2cm short of 2m, not 20cm and that all my plans were out by 18cm.
20180922_141223.jpg

Luckily, I've still got 4 posts unsawn and won't need to buy more so it's no biggie but it makes me wonder what else I've gotten wrong.
I drew up these plans 18 months ago and was due to start work on it when I got hit by a bus, as you do.
Picking the job back up a year later and it's a bit like starting from scratch again.
20180922_140523.jpg

I've never built something this big before and although I think I'm quite handy, I'm no professional and aware of my limitations. I'll never try plastering again, for instance.
It's taken me decades of practice just to be able to saw in a straight line. Lucky I can practice on firewood where it doesn't matter.
20180922_140321-01.jpeg

Here's where the front door to the new bike shed will be. I'm building it around a standardised door size because I don't want to build a door from scratch...can you imagine the horror?
20180922_142126.jpg

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Today’s plan was to pick a camera app I don’t use much and see what I can do with it. I had a vague notion of soft focus in mind. I tried a couple and settled on Gloomlogue. I also used my Moment tele lens.
1D572CF7-6E3E-4751-8A19-988DEC383579.jpeg

I was looking out my front window at the ferns and decided to photograph them but when I got outside I found there was no way to get the same high angle necessary.

4DF6F8AB-2E4E-4205-89B7-2F6BB40A0257.jpeg

I was interested in bottom edge of some fronds had flipped up.

653180AE-F9CC-472A-B6FE-4A21DB3EF4E3.jpeg

We still have a few Brown-Eyed Susans in bloom.
We have red Turtlehead in bloom now but I forgot all about it during Time Stamp.
It was interesting to use a camera app with instant editing so I didn’t have to do anything later.

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I’m at Jiffy Lube..... sooooooo exciting!!!! :lol: I’ve always had a car lease until Claire 4.0, and since I’ve hit 100,000 miles I don’t get free oil changes/checkups any more at the Mini dealership. I’m a Jiffy Lube virgin...first time is today (it IS the 150th TS, after all :mobibabe:). My car is right behind this car. I’m told it’ll be about a 45 minute wait.

4D8EC79D-AB01-4F8B-96D7-350B003C83B4.jpeg

Evoking the Time Shift Exemption, an hour ago I was making some DEE-LISH apple, carrot, beet, celery, ginger juice. Hugs and drools to our Fabi, who so generously gifted me her juicer when I was telling her I was thinking of getting one. :inlove:

3E22AAB7-DC46-46B5-BA77-24785EC5F175.jpeg

C235ADC7-6EF3-45C5-8EBC-3C8F9774523F.jpeg

Snapseed

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
To set the scene, it was at this point that I realised that 1981mm is only 2cm short of 2m, not 20cm and that all my plans were out by 18cm.
View attachment 114599
Luckily, I've still got 4 posts unsawn and won't need to buy more so it's no biggie but it makes me wonder what else I've gotten wrong.
I drew up these plans 18 months ago and was due to start work on it when I got hit by a bus, as you do.
Picking the job back up a year later and it's a bit like starting from scratch again.
View attachment 114601
I've never built something this big before and although I think I'm quite handy, I'm no professional and aware of my limitations. I'll never try plastering again, for instance.
It's taken me decades of practice just to be able to saw in a straight line. Lucky I can practice on firewood where it doesn't matter.
View attachment 114602
Here's where the front door to the new bike shed will be. I'm building it around a standardised door size because I don't want to build a door from scratch...can you imagine the horror?
View attachment 114600
Impressive. The math and measuring alone would be the doom of me.... I’m excited to see it finished!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
....so 45 minutes turned into 2 hours. :barf: In addition to the oil change I needed new rear brakes (the invoice lists brake pads, brake rotor and brake wear sensor) and got my tires rotated. Ending bill was $400. :eek::barf::eek:

Question for the car buffs: Is $300 an okay price for the brakes?

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
....so 45 minutes turned into 2 hours. :barf: In addition to the oil change I needed new rear brakes (the invoice lists brake pads, brake rotor and brake wear sensor) and got my tires rotated. Ending bill was $400. :eek::barf::eek:

Question for the car buffs: Is $300 an okay price for the brakes?
You would have to check the prices for the parts and figure how much time was spent. Labour adds up very fast. Of course my car is not made by BMW so the prices are probably less, but I would figure about $40 each for rear brake rotors, and another $40 for a set of rear brake pads (plus tax). I would probably spend more time doing the job than a mechanic because I end up checking everything I encounter, doing some anti-rust spraying on anything that looks vulnerable, like brake lines and exposed areas, and putting anti-seize on any bolts I reinstall, so maybe 4 hours. I also don’t have a fancy lift to raise the whole car at once. But generally speaking, $300 US is probably a good price to know your rear brakes are in good order for the next xxx miles. The question is whether they really needed changing right now or if they would have been fine for a few more months.
When you go to a garage without having quite a bit of your own car knowledge you never really know if the work was necessary or not. For them the main issue in running a car repair centre is making money, more than providing a service. I think the approach many repair centres take is that people will avoid going to the garage if at all possible, so if something looks like it will need replacing in the next few months they will encourage you to get it done now rather than too late.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
The question is whether they really needed changing right now or if they would have been fine for a few more months.
They were really transparent and showed me how the brake (pad? rotor?) was worn down - not black & shiny like the front ones - and rusty. So I could actually see the difference. The Mini dealership would never have done that.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 114599
View attachment 114601
View attachment 114602
View attachment 114600
Well, anybody who can do DIY jobs has my admiration.

I always wanted to do carpentry at school but I went to an academic school and I still regret that I never did one in my younger days. Can’t be bothered now - too many other hobbies.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Today’s plan was to pick a camera app I don’t use much and see what I can do with it. I had a vague notion of soft focus in mind. I tried a couple and settled on Gloomlogue. I also used my Moment tele lens.
View attachment 114612

I was looking out my front window at the ferns and decided to photograph them but when I got outside I found there was no way to get the same high angle necessary.

View attachment 114610
I was interested in bottom edge of some fronds had flipped up.

View attachment 114611
We still have a few Brown-Eyed Susans in bloom.
We have red Turtlehead in bloom now but I forgot all about it during Time Stamp.
It was interesting to use a camera app with instant editing so I didn’t have to do anything later.
Great images. I wouldn’t have thought of using Gloomlogue as an actual camera.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m at Jiffy Lube..... sooooooo exciting!!!! :lol: I’ve always had a car lease until Claire 4.0, and since I’ve hit 100,000 miles I don’t get free oil changes/checkups any more at the Mini dealership. I’m a Jiffy Lube virgin...first time is today (it IS the 150th TS, after all :mobibabe:). My car is right behind this car. I’m told it’ll be about a 45 minute wait.

View attachment 114619

Evoking the Time Shift Exemption, an hour ago I was making some DEE-LISH apple, carrot, beet, celery, ginger juice. Hugs and drools to our Fabi, who so generously gifted me her juicer when I was telling her I was thinking of getting one. :inlove:

View attachment 114618
View attachment 114620
Snapseed
Deelish as you say! Lucky you!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
At 2 we were just getting to our local food coop. I stayed outside to take some photos while Grace went inside. Just some of this and that.
View attachment 114627 View attachment 114628 View attachment 114629 View attachment 114630

First 3 edited in Gloomlogue, last one unedited.
I see you were much more subtle in your Gloomlogue editing. I tended to just accept the Gloomlogue defaults and move on quickly to making the next image. Only later when I could see them better indoors did I realize I should have backed off the adjustment by at least half.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I was so in that I forgot time a bit before I headed to the shopping mall, this time to the Skyline Plaza for a good reason: it was celebrating its 5th birthday. But before I drove off I had a chat with a neighbor and missed the alarm, because bag with pod and phone were already in my car. So I’ll invoke timeshift and start when I arrived the rooftop ant took the first pictures which was 2.33 pm.

The map photo was later when on the way home. You could have a 60 seconds flight on a big ventilator. Just for reference.

AA0CE7A2-A6A3-4FA3-80F3-6D329F8D9099.jpeg

Time Stamp pictures:
On stage played an Italian band.

0013DC9F-16D8-4F32-A3E5-BF1B7A46216E.jpeg

This set was auctioned by the Frankfurt Lions Club. A bottle of Champagne, a book and a BlurRay by our cosmonaut Alexander Gerst (who is actually back in space again) for the Clown Doctors (went for 300€ later).

1329B9B1-9C80-409A-B3E7-793E328FEA68.jpeg

A “Lion” and a Clown Doctor explained what it’s about. Look at the fascinated girls!

DF72BA2C-19BE-4D99-B8F1-EC0E12BF6B9F.jpeg

Balloons everywhere! (You had to attach a postcard with wishes).

E8F15F11-73C5-4B4B-9087-8E61F8A7559E.jpeg

Out of TS:
The Stratosphere Ballon was ready to lift off and so where the green balloons (Venomator and FundyBrian would have enjoyed all the greens!)

D738C598-F85E-4AA8-B11D-7949A68AE519.jpeg

And finally the tower allowed the lift off of the ballons – but the stratosphere one had to stay earthbound with a leash, too many air planes at the moment so they kept it on a line while all greens were freed. (3.20 pm)

1DAFA224-B2CF-47A6-9F58-5104514FFC29.jpeg

All Hipstamatic no edits.