• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Time Stamp Closed: TS152 2pm Saturday Oct-6

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m in!
Out of curiosity I signed up to a photo class at the apple store. That was Friday. Saturday I was in time and the “class” was on at exactly 2 pm. We were just 7 people and I somehow wondered why not more people join those free classes. It’s free and fun and even if you take just one new hint home it’s worth going. Well, the duty stuff was from 2 to 3 and after that we were four that joined the coach for a photo safari through the MTZ (mall).
So here are my shots from both events:
2 o’clock shot: our coach. It was the dry lesson (though we had some fun :)) about settings and editing. (Xmax native, “edited” in photos (straightened, cut, added text))

View attachment 115330

2.12: still no picture taken just watching and listening. :) thought I see if Hipstamatic works fun with ios12. Obviously does. (Xmax, Hipstamatic)

View attachment 115331

3.14: After signing a paper that you go on this safari on your own risk and leave an emergency contact we finally went outside into the shopping mall. We tried the portrait mode and then were looking for light and shadow what made us walk though the whole center. The first picture of portrait mode on my Xmax.

View attachment 115332

3.24: The pure Escher feeling without Escher effect. :D Found in the staircase of the park house.

View attachment 115333

This hour also went quick, at the Apple store we showed some of the picture we did and was great to see those differences of what we’ve taken along the same walk. It was really fun.
Oooooohh! An XMax? How lucky you are!
It was interesting to hear about the Apple photo course and see your photos from the events.
In my own photo courses I do the sit down learning session and the field trip but there isn’t time for evaluating photos afterwards and I’m sure that part would be worthwhile. The difficulty would be in getting photos out of all the different cameras in order to view them in a group.
There are no real Apple stores near us but we have the Jump+ “official authorized Apple reseller”, which isn’t quite the same thing at all.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I almost posted first but got interrupted by dinner prep and eating. We weren't doing much of anything at 2. I had a little excitement before 2. A couch in our parlor had gotten extensively mildewed so I went with my across-the-street neighbor in his truck and took the couch to the dump. Unfortunately, while offloading the couch it came down on my finger, squashing it and splitting it like a tomato that's been dropped on the floor. ( No pictures were taken.) Fortunately (for me), the truck owner's wife is the preeminent plastic surgeon in town (about a year ago she sutured Grace's finger one evening after a mishap with a knife.) She kindly spent an hour of her Saturday afternoon suturing up my finger.I got home from her office just before 2.
View attachment 115312
If you look closely you can see a V-shaped paleness in my upper palm and paleness at the base of my middle finger - spillover from the epinephrine she injected at the base of my ring finger. My finger is still numb about 5 hours after the injection.

Here's where the couch was.
View attachment 115314
Ewwwwwww! And what a graphic description. I can just imagine it. How fortuitous to have a plastic surgeon “on hand” as it were.:lol: I hope the throbbing stops soon. I can just see the start of a lovely bruise forming.:tongueclosed:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m in!
Out of curiosity I signed up to a photo class at the apple store. That was Friday. Saturday I was in time and the “class” was on at exactly 2 pm. We were just 7 people and I somehow wondered why not more people join those free classes. It’s free and fun and even if you take just one new hint home it’s worth going. Well, the duty stuff was from 2 to 3 and after that we were four that joined the coach for a photo safari through the MTZ (mall).
2 o’clock shot: our coach. It was the dry lesson (though we had some fun :)) about settings and editing. (Xmax native, “edited” in photos (straightened, cut, added text))

View attachment 115330

2.12: still no picture taken just watching and listening. :) thought I see if Hipstamatic works fun with ios12. Obviously does. (Xmax, Hipstamatic)

View attachment 115331

3.14: After signing a paper that you go on this safari on your own risk and leave an emergency contact we finally went outside into the shopping mall. We tried the portrait mode and then were looking for light and shadow what made us walk though the whole center. The first picture of portrait mode on my Xmax.

View attachment 115332

3.24: The pure Escher feeling without Escher effect. :D Found in the staircase of the park house.

View attachment 115333

This hour also went quick, at the Apple store we showed some of the picture we did and was great to see those differences of what we’ve taken along the same walk. It was really fun.
Ooooh Gouvs, an X Max.:thumbs: Blimey, you’re going to notice the difference from your previous phone/pod. I can see the difference in your photos already.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Great shoes!!! Oh, the train is cool, too.
:lol:

That’s no walking shoes, is it? :D I like the train inside, it’s like spits of colours enlightening the gray. :inlove:
Haha.... no, they are felted wool Berkenstock-type shoes. Haflinger - made in Germany! I hadn’t planned on walking the trail, but the shoes are comfy and the trail is packed earth and easy to walk.

I love the colors too!

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I notice in your first two photos there are a lot of leaves already brown and on the ground, yet I don’t see any noticeable fall colour in the photos. Did you notice what type of trees were dropping their leaves so soon?
This has been happening the last couple of Autumns... the leaves just turn brown and fall. :( It’s a bit early here for any color though...most trees are still green.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I’m in!

View attachment 115330

View attachment 115331

View attachment 115332

View attachment 115333

Wait.... you got an X Max??? Whoohoo!!!!! :D This looks like fun, and your Escher shot is fantastic!! The portrait is wonderful too.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Ooooh Gouvs, an X Max.:thumbs: Blimey, you’re going to notice the difference from your previous phone/pod. I can see the difference in your photos already.
The jump from 6s+ to XSmax is not too hard actually, but I hate that I lost again so many apps. Lots are even loadable, but after opening they got stuck. Some even worked quite fun under 11, but no more on 12. Decided to keep my 6s+ with 10.3 to use those apps. :D but now need to clean up the Xmax bit by bit or app by app.
What surprised me is that I got very quickly used to the missing home button. Now I start to swipe on the 6s+. XD.
I love the Tele lens, the portrait mode (which has also improved of what I've seen formerly. No missing ears anymore. :D
I haven't had time to explore it excessively yet, but it feels smoother than the 6 and now I have a looooooot of room for pictures. As long as I don't start to like videos I'm definitely fine for a good while. But will still use my 6Pod. :p

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
FundyBrian, what’s the story behind your squirrel? A former pet? :sneaky: ;)
Once upon a time....
Ahem. That’s a chipmunk. Not a squirrel. The chipmunks will go nuts if they hear of such blasphemy. I can just see them picketing up and down the yard with their little placards. "Unfair! Discrimination!" in their chippy little voices
Oh yes, the story. Well, I had a cat for 19 years, and she was a very nice cat, too, but her presence warded off the local wild creatures. Pippi Longstocking was her name because, well, you can guess. She was a beautiful tortoiseshell cat, white, black and orange. (I’m sure I have some pics if you’re curious, but they are all in the before digital era, mostly slides). After she died I noticed how the chipmunks and rabbits were so much more at ease. It was like they suddenly appeared, but really, they were always there but hanging back. The red squirrels, on the other hand were as ornery as ever, scolding all the time, and always trying to find a way to get into your house to make a mess, I mean nest.
It is always painful to lose a beloved pet and I decided to remain pet-less for a while. Instead, I began to see the neighbourhood wild creatures as my part time outdoor pets and I enjoyed watching them come and go. Not only that but they look after themselves when we go away. Being able to observe wild creatures close up is very informative about the way animals interact and move about.
That all came to an end when we got Woofie, and that was another wonderful chapter in the pet saga. To the local wild creatures she looked like a savage predator. How one old dog could bring us so much joy is beyond me. Another painful parting.
Back to pet-less status and back to enjoying the local wildlife. This chipmunk photo was made Aug 14 of this year, so not long before your visit. I sat on the grass by the deck and watched the chipmunks come and go, just 3 or 4 feet away. They’re very cute and entertaining. And they never try to move in.

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The jump from 6s+ to XSmax is not too hard actually, but I hate that I lost again so many apps. Lots are even loadable, but after opening they got stuck. Some even worked quite fun under 11, but no more on 12. Decided to keep my 6s+ with 10.3 to use those apps. :D but now need to clean up the Xmax bit by bit or app by app.
What surprised me is that I got very quickly used to the missing home button. Now I start to swipe on the 6s+. XD.
I love the Tele lens, the portrait mode (which has also improved of what I've seen formerly. No missing ears anymore. :D
I haven't had time to explore it excessively yet, but it feels smoother than the 6 and now I have a looooooot of room for pictures. As long as I don't start to like videos I'm definitely fine for a good while. But will still use my 6Pod. :p
I suspect some of those apps that worked under ios11 but not 12 will be updated once the developers figure out the problems. There are a whole lot of app updates these days.

deepop

No Mobi-limiter...
MobiSupporter
Real Name
David
Device
iPhone Xs
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Ouch.

Are you R handed?

And if you’re going to injure your finger is such spectacular fashion, you may as well have the town’s pre-eminent plastic surgeon at hand.

Is the prognosis good? Or will you have to wait to see how it heals?

Very best healing wishes!
It's all good. I'm left handed. Prognosis is excellent - sutures out in 7-10 days. My neighbor is very sweet. She's my neighbor first and my plastic surgeon second. (Maybe I can get her to do something about the increasing lines on my face.)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Ahem. That’s a chipmunk. Not a squirrel. The chipmunks will go nuts if they hear of such blasphemy. I can just see them picketing up and down the yard with their little placards. "Unfair! Discrimination!" in their chippy little voice
:lol: I forget that your squirrels look just like our chippers.

I began to see the neighbourhood wild creatures as my part time outdoor pets and I enjoyed watching them come and go.
I agree! :)

Last edited: