Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. > CHANGE IS NIGH < Help with costs DONATE & help update MobiTog, THANK YOU!

Time Stamp Closed: TS164 2pm Saturday Dec-29

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by FundyBrian, 26 December 2018.

1. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Time Stamp - Phase 3

Last Time Stamp of 2018.

New Changes to Time Stamp: We have decided to dispense with the Wrap-up and the Grand Wrapper-Upper and see how that goes. No more favourite photo picked each week. In addition to posting our 2pm photos and the usual exchanges about photos and stories, the focus has changed to enjoying Time Stamp as a happening in itself.

If you have any ideas to make Time Stamp more fun please share them with us.
    -------------------------------------
    Join the intrepid Time Stamp team for Saturday, 2pm, adventures!

Overview: Here at MobiTog we have participants all over the world, in many different time zones. What if everyone made a picture at 2pm on Saturday, of whatever is going on, wherever they happen to be, and share that picture on Time Stamp. We should end up with a global snapshot of what is going on everywhere at 2 pm. This could be ordinary, humorous, puzzling, but it is bound to be interesting. The Time Stamp title comes from the metadata that is added to every new photo at the time it is made, the creation date and time.

Normally there is no theme, but it could happen sometime so watch out:). Set your phone alarm or alert to go off at 2pm. Wherever you happen to be at that time make some photos that tell us something about your location, what you are doing, what you see, whatever is happening, or make something happen. An important detail is that your picture(s) must be made between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, your local time, on Saturday afternoon. Post your pictures (up to 3) on this thread. See what others are doing in many places around the world.

If you would like some extra challenge to your Time Stamp activities make use of the opportunity to develop your ability to come up with good photos on the spot, or on demand, even when it seems there is nothing around to work with, and even if you don’t feel the least bit inspired. To discover the extraordinary among the ordinary. This is the skill of a photojournalist. Too often people only make photos when they feel inspired or when the weather is nice. It is about learning and personal growth. Sharpening your powers of observation and then igniting creativity to create something out of nothing. It is also the ability to make a good photo that can stand on it’s own without relying on a bunch of editing to prop it up. Time Stamp is also about sharing how you feel about the situations/subjects you discover.

Rules:
    • Standard Mobitog image rules apply. Images must be captured/created & edited entirely on a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet. Please see the Rules and Guidelines for MobiChallenges posted HERE
    • All images must be photographed and edited between 2:00pm to 2:20pm, local time. Any editing must be done within that time frame. In other words, don't rely on extensive image manipulation or compositing. These things are allowed, but must be accomplished within the 20 minute window of opportunity. Better to concentrate on capturing a unique moment at 2pm.
    • In addition to the regular (up to) 3 images, you are now allowed to post one additional image, if you want, to help "set the scene". This image should be described as "to set the scene" or "setting the scene", or "the location" or something similar.
    • You are free to photograph something actually happening, or nothing happening, or make something happen, or to create your own image from scratch, as long as it and any added parts or layers are photographed within the 2:00 to 2:20pm window of opportunity.

Time Shift Exemption: This applies to special events happening outside the usual Time Stamp window. If you think the event is significant enough and that others would like to see it you can claim the Time Shift Exemption and move your 2pm to fit the event. Try not to overuse this loophole.

Post your images to this thread.

Closing date: entries must be posted no later than 2pm the following day (Sunday). You can post your images right away after making them but if you happen to be in a situation where this is not possible, you have 24 hours.

• Have some creative fun!

Time Stamp is hereby declared an acronym-free zone.

Tips on setting alarms: you can use the Calendar app to set 2 alerts. I like to set the first alert 1 hour ahead in case I have completely forgotten (where's my phone!)(my battery is dead). The second alert I set 15 minutes ahead so I can get ready. You can create a second event at the same time for more alerts! Maybe set your alarm clock to go off right at 2pm to make you jump. Set another alarm to let you know when your time is up.

RoseCat likes this.
  2. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ll be here for sure.

This will be the last Time Samp of 2018 and I think we’re in for a change for 2019. What that change will be will depend on the people who have been following or participating in Time Stamp thus far.

GroovyGouvy and RoseCat like this.
  3. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I’m in! :D

FundyBrian and GroovyGouvy like this.
  4. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    In anyway! :)

RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  5. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Here’s what I’m thinking about for Time Stamp. I like to learn new things, especially about expanding my way of seeing and thinking about photography. I originally imagined Time Stamp as a way to develop the ability to turn on your creativity at will rather than just photographing when you feel inspired. I’m pleased to see how well that worked but now we need some new challenges to work on.
    I’m imagining Time Stamp as a Mobi workshop where we can explore new ideas every week. Something I’m interested in pursuing is Contemplative photography. Unless you have already read about it, the name Contemplative photography doesn’t tell you much about the topic. Years ago we used to call it Pictorial Abstraction. I don’t mean like abstract painting. You might say it means seeing everyday things in new or unusual ways, an a different context. Seeing the world in a new way. It’s all about seeing. A few times in the past few years I have stumbled into contemplative photography without knowing exactly what it was. Looking back, I can see that the photos I made at those times have a certain outlook that I want to explore in greater depth.
    There are various routes to the same thing. We may draw on various resources as we seek a route that works best.
    Like meditation, you don’t just read a few paragraphs and then you’ve got it. It takes practice. Some of it involves unlearning old ways of thinking.
    I propose to take it one step at a time, something new each week, something new to try and practice. Go out and photograph using each new idea. Then post photos and discuss them. Inspire each other. Learn as we go.
    If you’re willing to give it a try let me know. Feel free to suggest topics you would like to explore.
    You can imagine this probably means the Time Stamp name will have to evolve to something new.

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  6. Starzee

Starzee MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’m in. How can I not for the last one of the year?

As I always say, part of my problem with Time Stamp is we are most always at the same place. I like the idea to use this as a vehicle for experimenting. If that’s what you have in mind. Instead of reporting, who, what, where and why, try something new at 2:00. I am not very good at the Diana camera. I wouldn’t mind using that 20 minutes to try some double exposures, then post a few of the best. (Or at least the ones that aren’t totally laughable.)

Is this what you mean?

zenjenny and FundyBrian like this.
  7. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve always been impressed by how varied your pictures were even though from the same location. That is a good exercise in itself.
    We’re always happy to have your participation and if you want to use your time using Diana then that’s great. I find when I use Diana I can use a lot more than 20 minutes. On the topic of Diana, it makes such a big difference having the right kind of images to start with. Some with good silhouettes or near silhouettes, and others that have lots of lighter toned details. If your two images are too much the same in tonality you don’t get a very good blend. For instance, if you consider a situation such as looking out a window. You could have one image that provides a good silhouette of the window shape but with a white sky. Then another image but exposed for the outside scene. Make some silhouette images, people, trees, etc, to keep in your album of Diana work photos.

What I have in mind for 2019 is more of an ongoing workshop series where everyone would be following the same steps rather than each doing their own thing. The starting topic will be contemplative photography. We have to start out defining just what that is. I’m sure each person will have their own insights to contribute to each step and that will help us all learn and be inspired by each other’s efforts. Also, this would go beyond just 2 pm on Saturday. We would just use some particular day as the start and end points of each session. You would work away at the current session in your own time and post the results. Then we can all review the results and see what progress we are making. Time Stamp was all about building one particular skill. The one I like to think of as, “Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat”. Now it’s time to move on and expand the skill set.

Starzee likes this.
  8. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    At first it sounded like MobiColour with a theme.
    Now it seems to have more facets but we have more time. I’m in anyway and will follow your footsteps as long as my feet will carry me, master. :)

FundyBrian likes this.
  9. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Thanks for your vote of confidence. :)

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  10. zenjenny

zenjenny MobiStaff Site Staff

jen
    Device:
    iPhone 6s Plus
    I’m in - and interested to join in the new focus for 2019 :thumbs:

GroovyGouvy and FundyBrian like this.
  11. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yay!

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  12. Starzee

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I see. I’m certainly willing to go on this journey, especially if recommended by Bullwinkle J Moose and Rocket J Squirrel.

By the way, thanks for the tips on Diana cam.

GroovyGouvy and FundyBrian like this.
  13. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Last Saturday of the year and I’m back again to the NWZ shopping mall.

065C0726-B4EB-448D-AF71-194380E175AB.jpeg

The reindeer waiting to go home for having a rest until it’s Christmas again. (Above)

The flood of gifts are on the roof of the now closed Christmas market stalls.

EA71AF48-415D-49DB-ABFA-BD478B562870.jpeg

What always surprises me are the sparrows twittering their messages through the noise carpet. This time I could catch one though I had to zoom in to make him visible.

7400C4D5-107F-46B8-A5AD-A3C209E04950.jpeg

And the kids enjoy the carousels along the way.

A7816468-B821-47DA-A87D-2D2004E1146F.jpeg

A funny one to close the story: a new shop to be opened seems to be ready decorated inside, but the shopfront isn’t ready yet.

416E4286-681F-489C-955B-D154874780CE.jpeg

Now relaxing at Starbucks with a coffee latte and thankfully working WiFi. :)

All Hipstamatic shuffle on 6Pod, the first + photomapo.

Last edited: 29 December 2018
    Starzee, RoseCat, FundyBrian and 2 others like this.
  14. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    They sure go all out on their decorations.

GroovyGouvy likes this.
  15. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    My daughter & her boyfriend were visiting overnight from Fredericton. They arrived just as the snowstorm began and left after the roads were all cleared the next morning.
    At noon we were having a great walk on the beach.
    C29DC64D-A9C1-4A59-93B2-7F6C4C92D454.jpeg
    It still amazes me how the tide clears the beach of snow for us to walk on.
    The day started out clear and sunny but became increasingly foggy as the temperature rose to almost +3°C. Yesterday it was -12.
    2pm arrived just as our guests were packing the car to leave so I rushed around making some Xmas close-ups.
    FD7ABE22-A224-4FD1-A4E9-8E0014DA9157.jpeg
    296EB9BC-3C09-47F8-A414-E93D5ACB4665.jpeg
    A33F1AC4-AF54-48D4-BA29-03D82F1731FC.jpeg
    Just as we were waving goodbye my 2:20 alert sounded saying time’s up.
    My last Time Stamp entry for 2018.

ImageArt, Starzee, RoseCat and 3 others like this.
  16. younger

younger MobiLurver

Juliana
    Device:
    iPhone Xs
    Spaaaaaarkles! :rolleyes:

17. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    For Christmas my brother gave my mom a gift certificate to a local spa, so we are here today getting facials, and it’s my mom’s first ever facial. :mobibabe: Although we were able to get 2 last minute appointments on a Saturday, they had to be one after the other. So here are some scenes from the waiting room.

FF43ECCF-9317-499C-A8C6-B5671910A66D.jpeg
    3A0E921C-2312-4A9B-AED9-BCAB751CFA46.jpeg
    3195F29E-165B-4310-9D3D-6607F240414D.jpeg
    Edited with Hipstamatic

18. Starzee

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I tried Diana. The first is a Santa through a Barley Wine sample. Barley Wine is named because the alcohol is closer to that in a wine than a beer. Most are over 10% ABV. I’ll stick to my regular 5-6 % ABV IPA, thank you very much D8C43F6F-BB0A-4995-B7E6-792965945E6E.jpeg 7C0C022A-EF37-4965-93E6-F7A767673EB8.jpeg

19. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Hey, that’s great you worked with Diana in Time Stamp. Interesting results, too.

20. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Time Stamp 164 is now closed to entries.

RoseCat likes this.
  21. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
  22. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    So it still will be Time Stamp? Or Time Stamp Café, because we’ll have a bit more time to relax? Can’t see the new thread yet, but will follow your link and see. :)

FundyBrian likes this.
  23. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Sorry, Time Stamp is officially retired. I’m going to be hosting MobiWorkshop now. Starting in the next few days, most likely Sunday. If you go to the MobiWorkshop thread you can make suggestions for what you would like to see as a workshop topic.

RoseCat and GroovyGouvy like this.
  24. GroovyGouvy

GroovyGouvy MobiLifer

Gouvy
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Just been there. All is said and I have no further idea (yet). I’ll just join in. :)

JillyG, RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.