• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

New Come walk with me...

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Just got my DJI Osmo Mobile today. Here's hoping I actually have time to use it.
I'm feeling a bit like that at the moment. Life getting in the way of doing anything artistic.
I'd forgotten I'd taken a few videos on my walks to create a little iMovie to post here... gotta get that done! :eek:

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I have no idea what that is, but if you're pleased, I'm pleased.:D
I thought you knew everything ;). The Osmo Mobile is a powered gimbal for mobile phones, including the larger recent iPhone 7 Plus :thumbs:. DJI is the maker of the Phantom 3 & 4 drones, which are probably the most popular at the moment. They have extensive experience with gimbals for cameras and their support network and software is quite large. Unlike the software for my FeiYuTech G4 gimbal for GoPro - that software comes from the stone age, although the gimbal itself is well made.
And, yes, I'm pleased. Anxious to try it out.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I made my first tests with the Osmo Mobile. The DJI Go camera app seems to shut off the image stabilization in the iPhone 7 Plus automatically so there's none of the interaction I have heard about. I had made 2 or 3 short video clips before I noticed the horizon was a bit crooked. Poking around a bit in settings I found the gimbal calibration and soon had it straightened out.
I think next time I will shoot in FiLMiC Pro instead. It has full implementation of DJI Osmo hardware.
A problem I have yet to sort out, with any gimbal, is how to plug in my stereo microphone. As you no doubt know from experience, the iPhone mic is very prone to wind noise with the slightest breeze. Gimbals were not made to accommodate the mic between the iPhone and pitch motor. It would upset the balance. I need to find a short Lightning extension cable instead. The clips I recorded all suffer from some wind noise instead of waves or flowing water that I wanted.

Venomator

MobiLifer
Admin
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
I made my first tests with the Osmo Mobile. The DJI Go camera app seems to shut off the image stabilization in the iPhone 7 Plus automatically so there's none of the interaction I have heard about. I had made 2 or 3 short video clips before I noticed the horizon was a bit crooked. Poking around a bit in settings I found the gimbal calibration and soon had it straightened out.
I think next time I will shoot in FiLMiC Pro instead. It has full implementation of DJI Osmo hardware.
A problem I have yet to sort out, with any gimbal, is how to plug in my stereo microphone. As you no doubt know from experience, the iPhone mic is very prone to wind noise with the slightest breeze. Gimbals were not made to accommodate the mic between the iPhone and pitch motor. It would upset the balance. I need to find a short Lightning extension cable instead. The clips I recorded all suffer from some wind noise instead of waves or flowing water that I wanted.
Is the short Lightning cable extension, supplied with the 7 Plus, too short for your needs Brian... :whistle:

:D

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Is the short Lightning cable extension, supplied with the 7 Plus, too short for your needs Brian... :whistle:

:D
That one is just a Lightning to 1/8 stereo headphone adapter. I need Lightning on both ends, m & f. On the 6 with the old type headphone jack you could plug in a mic but only mono. To get stereo you have to use the Lightning connector.

I would say 10" or 25 cm would be good. I would have to mount the mic on a bracket attached to the grip somewhere, like the accessory socket.

So far I have found a Lightning to USB with a right angle Lightning plug. None of the Lightning extension cables I found have a 90° plug. I'll have to cut and splice the two together.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I struggle with the focus when using Filmic Pro unless the iPhone is stationary. Everybody says how wonderful it is but I struggle. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time using it. I watched all the videos and can't remember anything now.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I struggle with the focus when using Filmic Pro unless the iPhone is stationary. Everybody says how wonderful it is but I struggle. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time using it. I watched all the videos and can't remember anything now.
Too many apps, too many unique instructions. Impossible to remember. How about some standardization for tools and operating procedures.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Come Paddle With Me - Bon Ami Rocks.
These rocks are home to thousands of nesting cormorants and gulls, about 300-400 metres offshore at Inch Arran, Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Canada.

I finally had time to get this done. This was my first try using LumaFusion for iPhone and I still have some things to figure out. The clips are completely unadjusted. Presented as shot.

Some background info.
While we were visiting the area and camping at Inch Arran Park I was awakened quite early each morning when the gulls and cormorants woke up. I went out in my kayak in the early mornings and evenings. I'm paddling a sea kayak and my iPhone 7 Plus is mounted on a DJI Osmo Mobile powered gimbal which in turn is mounted to the front deck of my kayak so I can keep paddling while video recording is in progress. Yes, I know the Osmo isn't waterproof.
The Osmo does an excellent job of counteracting the complex range of motions the kayak goes through continuously in the waves and while paddling. I tried a previous year to shoot some hand held video here but as hard as I tried the boat was rising and falling with the waves and it was impossible to get video that wasn't nausea inducing. Plus, while recording hand held video I couldn't use the Paddle and my kayak was drifting uncontrolled with the current.
This particular day was especially calm so you don't get a chance to see what a good job the Osmo did in rougher conditions. When I'm paddling the boat zig-zags a bit, plus it torques a bit with each stroke. Add to that up and down or rolling wave motion and the corrections are quite complex for the Osmo.

One snag I encountered while doing the video. When I used selfie mode to record my intro the mic is on the opposite side of the phone so it picks up the birds better than my voice.
I went out one lovely sunny evening and although the video looks great the audio is full of the sound of power boats going by. Power boat people tend to sleep late fortunately. Another nice sunny day the wind was too strong for noise free sound recording. This is before I made my fur cover for the mic. So I ended up using the overcast day video for the audio quality even though it was my least favourite for the visuals. The truth is, without good audio it isn't worth shooting video at all.

Today while working in LumaFusion there were a few things I didn't figure out how to do. Like:hot to fade to black. How to put a transition on the back end of a clip. How to get the inserted blank clip to be black. I might have learned about these things in the tutorials except today we had heavy rain so our satellite internet service was out of action. That's how it goes.

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
These rocks are home to thousands of nesting cormorants and gulls, about 300-400 metres offshore at Inch Arran, Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Canada.

I finally had time to get this done. This was my first try using LumaFusion for iPhone and I still have some things to figure out. The clips are completely unadjusted. Presented as shot.

Some background info.
While we were visiting the area and camping at Inch Arran Park I was awakened quite early each morning when the gulls and cormorants woke up. I went out in my kayak in the early mornings and evenings. I'm paddling a sea kayak and my iPhone 7 Plus is mounted on a DJI Osmo Mobile powered gimbal which in turn is mounted to the front deck of my kayak so I can keep paddling while video recording is in progress. Yes, I know the Osmo isn't waterproof.
The Osmo does an excellent job of counteracting the complex range of motions the kayak goes through continuously in the waves and while paddling. I tried a previous year to shoot some hand held video here but as hard as I tried the boat was rising and falling with the waves and it was impossible to get video that wasn't nausea inducing. Plus, while recording hand held video I couldn't use the Paddle and my kayak was drifting uncontrolled with the current.
This particular day was especially calm so you don't get a chance to see what a good job the Osmo did in rougher conditions. When I'm paddling the boat zig-zags a bit, plus it torques a bit with each stroke. Add to that up and down or rolling wave motion and the corrections are quite complex for the Osmo.

One snag I encountered while doing the video. When I used selfie mode to record my intro the mic is on the opposite side of the phone so it picks up the birds better than my voice.
I went out one lovely sunny evening and although the video looks great the audio is full of the sound of power boats going by. Power boat people tend to sleep late fortunately. Another nice sunny day the wind was too strong for noise free sound recording. This is before I made my fur cover for the mic. So I ended up using the overcast day video for the audio quality even though it was my least favourite for the visuals. The truth is, without good audio it isn't worth shooting video at all.

Today while working in LumaFusion there were a few things I didn't figure out how to do. Like:hot to fade to black. How to put a transition on the back end of a clip. How to get the inserted blank clip to be black. I might have learned about these things in the tutorials except today we had heavy rain so our satellite internet service was out of action. That's how it goes.
That was wonderful!!! Thanks for the kayak ride!

lisamjw

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

Some background info.

Wonderful video, Brian!! Nice to see you and hear the gulls!

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Come Walk With Me - to the Acadian Festival
Recorded on iPhone 7 Plus with DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal. Edited with LumaFusion on iPhone.
This is an annual festival celebrated all over the Acadian parts of the Maritimes.
The Town of Caraquet, New Brunswick has a population of 2000 but swells to over 30,000 during the festival.
In the first scene Fabi is on the right and her friend Lucille is on the left.
The people who had been to previous festivals at this place knew to bring their own chair.
And, yes, the Acadian Festival is a francophone celebration.

Last edited:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Some background info.

Wonderful video, Brian. Gosh it's so sharp. Incredible. PS, can we have a look at what the mount looks like on your boat. Really interested.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Recorded on iPhone 7 Plus with DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal. Edited with LumaFusion on iPhone.
This is an annual festival celebrated all over the Acadian parts of the Maritimes.
The Town of Caraquet, New Brunswick has a population of 2000 but swells to over 30,000 during the festival.
In the first scene Fabi is on the right and her friend Lucille is on the left.
The people who had been to previous festivals at this place knew to bring their own chair.
And, yes, the Acadian Festival is a francophone celebration.
Fun!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

Wow! Look at that beautiful, glassy water. It looks so peaceful :inlove: (until you get to the raucous-y birds! LOL) I've never seen so many cormorants in one place! So wonderful....

What a difference from the kayaking video. Looks like a fun day was had by all. :D

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Wonderful video, Brian. Gosh it's so sharp. Incredible. PS, can we have a look at what the mount looks like on your boat. Really interested.
I only have a picture of the prototype mount, so far. After this I made a more secure mount a little closer so it was easier to reach. I need to be able to stow the Osmo under cover in the event the waves pick up and threaten to get the Osmo wet. Unfortunately it isn't waterproof.
IMG_1263.JPG

You can also see the short mast I use to mount my GoPro at the stern.

DJI Osmo Mobile.jpg

The second one is a slide from my recent iPhone photography presentation.
You can see that the mounting point for the DJI Osmo Mobile is fairly high up the left side of the grip. The bottom is just a battery compartment.
There is also a tether attached to the Osmo bracket tying it to the kayak in case anything goes wrong with the mounting bracket.

The white part is a mount I previously made to attach my GoPro to the kayaks in Cuba when we went on the 8 day kayak excursion. I had to make it from only seeing a picture of the kayaks from which I measured the slope angle at the front of the kayak and adjusted the leg lengths to level it. It is held in place by the standard deck bungee cords that cross-cross most kayaks. Incidentally, that white base is one of the supports you get when you buy 17" wide 100 foot long roll photo print paper so I have a few kicking around.

There is a small hatch on my kayak just 6" closer that I now use for mounting the Osmo. I reinforced the hatch lid inside and made a fitting in the centre. The bottom of my "L" bracket also needed to be more solid.
That little grey fur stick-on really does help prevent wind noise on the iPhone mic. It's not perfect but makes it quite usable.

Last edited:

Mingmarlama

MobiStar
Reaction score
Real Name
Pema gyalzen lama
Device
iPhone 6s
I was inspired on my walk to try something new... :)

I invite the MobiFamily to join this thread and add your short - up to 1 minute - video. Bring us along on your walks, your drives (if you're the passenger, that is! :eek: ), your errands, or just out in your backyard.

To upload a video, either upload to your own YouTube or Vimeo channel and post the link here, or upload to the MobiTog YouTube Channel and post the link. :thumbs:

Needless to say all videos must be taken with a mobile device. :whistle:

Videos will view better if shot in landscape, rather than the narrowing portrait format!

To start things off, here's a short video from my walk today.

Good way to connect. [emoji4]
Awesome idea love it
Soon
And good to see for 30mins [emoji16][emoji4][emoji4]
[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Good way to connect. [emoji4]
Awesome idea love it
Soon
And good to see for 30mins [emoji16][emoji4][emoji4]
[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]
Looking forward to your video!
And I'm sure you meant :30 SECONDS. :eek: LOL

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I only have a picture of the prototype mount, so far. After this I made a more secure mount a little closer so it was easier to reach. I need to be able to stow the Osmo under cover in the event the waves pick up and threaten to get the Osmo wet. Unfortunately it isn't waterproof.
View attachment 98100
You can also see the short mast I use to mount my GoPro at the stern.

View attachment 98101
The second one is a slide from my recent iPhone photography presentation.
You can see that the mounting point for the DJI Osmo Mobile is fairly high up the left side of the grip. The bottom is just a battery compartment.
There is also a tether attached to the Osmo bracket tying it to the kayak in case anything goes wrong with the mounting bracket.

The white part is a mount I previously made to attach my GoPro to the kayaks in Cuba when we went on the 8 day kayak excursion. I had to make it from only seeing a picture of the kayaks from which I measured the slope angle at the front of the kayak and adjusted the leg lengths to level it. It is held in place by the standard deck bungee cords that cross-cross most kayaks. Incidentally, that white base is one of the supports you get when you buy 17" wide 100 foot long roll photo print paper so I have a few kicking around.

There is a small hatch on my kayak just 6" closer that I now use for mounting the Osmo. I reinforced the hatch lid inside and made a fitting in the centre. The bottom of my "L" bracket also needed to be more solid.
That little grey fur stick-on really does help prevent wind noise on the iPhone mic. It's not perfect but makes it quite usable.
:notworthy:

Starzee

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Laundry room...

Shot today using the "Action Movie" app, uploaded straight to YouTube using its own app later (when I was back home from the tiresome truckload of laundry).

Enjoy :D

LOVE THIS!!
How did you do the little black poofs??