Creating High Resolution Images on iPhone 5

Good review and step by step. I like the concept. But I've been playing with ClearCam's enhanced feature, and it only saves photos to my camera roll as JPEGs. Does it allow for TIFFs? While I haven't taken a ton of photos with it, they are averaging around 5 MB each. I'll have to play some more. It sounds promising. I love Occipital's other apps, like 360 Panorama, so am encouraged by their entry into the camera replacement market.

I generally use 645Pro or PureShot for my day-to-day shooting. Processes images as uncompressed TIFFs at 300 DPI natively. Then I take the TIFF into BigPhoto and resize the image slighty to get a bigger image. Thoughts?

Somehow I feel sick all of a sudden...... I just have ONE of the mentioned apps....
I don't wanna get into a shopping-spree...but I feel an urge to buy something.... :(:confused:

Good review and step by step. I like the concept. But I've been playing with ClearCam's enhanced feature, and it only saves photos to my camera roll as JPEGs. Does it allow for TIFFs? While I haven't taken a ton of photos with it, they are averaging around 5 MB each. I'll have to play some more. It sounds promising. I love Occipital's other apps, like 360 Panorama, so am encouraged by their entry into the camera replacement market.

I generally use 645Pro or PureShot for my day-to-day shooting. Processes images as uncompressed TIFFs at 300 DPI natively. Then I take the TIFF into BigPhoto and resize the image slighty to get a bigger image. Thoughts?

This actually brings up quite a good question.....

What will produce the superior starting point for post-processing?
ClearCam/Cortex Camera with it's "image-combining" algorithm?
Or high-end cameras (such as 645P/PureShot) with their uncompressed TIFF output?

My take on the two methods, ie tiff or apps like Cortex or ClearCam

I know there is a difference between std jpg and tiff files but it becomes harder between Jag.gr's Hi Jpeg and tiff, in some cases it is very difficult but I still use tiff all the time. I expect and I do see the tiff is a bit better on the desktop when you look at edges and it should be, any jpeg even at 100% it is still a lossy format where tiff is archived in a non lossy format! But file sizes are larger but again it all depends on what you are planning on using the images for.

ClearCam's description
ClearCam is another mind-blowing app from the creators of 360 Panorama that will help anyone consistently eliminate blur, reduce noise and take sharper, clearer photos with 2x megapixels (up to 18MP on iPhone 5) without missing the moment. No expertise required!
Impossible? Think again! ClearCam performs its magic by analyzing multiple images and combining their information – a technique known as Super Resolution. It is the first and only app that does this with a seamless end-to-end interface that anyone can use.

Cortex in the description doesn't say how many images theirs takes but they say 2-10 seconds to take them and the end file is a bit smaller that ClearCam's at 12MP

Sid Peńa said that CleamCam app takes 6 images and merges them. Which is fine if it is fast enough but the problem arises when people or other objects are moving because they will be captured 6 times in slightly different places. I would think you would need a tripod (Sid also mentions them) to get the best results. The one picture in Sid's article shows a picture where there has been some movement

Because 645 Pro or Pure Shot or most other camera apps don't take multiple images you normally don't have to think about if there's movement or not, you just take the picture.

I do have Cortex but never really used it outside of a few night shots but I prefer KitCam's Night mode better then most other apps. While i had 645 Pro for a couple months I have yet to try it's Night mode. I am pondering ClearCam and will try a find some reviews for it but still it's only $0.99 :D

Neither ClearCam or Cortex mention if there app is saving as a 100% jpeg or some other setting.

Sid also uses Photogene. Does anyone here have it? If so how do you like it? From what I have read so far it's pretty good but 2.99 for the iPad version, 7.99 to get the 'Pro' in-app then there is collage in-app for 1.99 and one other in-app for .99. I have yet to find what the basic has vs the pro.

Well, I bought ClearCam :D

645 Pro first level of tiff (tiff + jpeg) then zoomed in. In photoroll third is a screen grab from the desktop tiff saved to photoroll but look sharper on the screen than viewing the tiff in-app. 645 Pro definitely has more noise than ClearCam
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638257.341689.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638273.637849.jpg

645 Pro full tiff, since there is nothing in photoroll I zoomed in in 645 Pro in-app viewer second is screen grab from desktop.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638430.936341.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365639813.875856.jpg

ClearCam on Enhanced, pictures took at most a second, aligning about 4 and enhancing 26-27 sec
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638631.625774.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638652.047089.jpg

Cortex, took maybe 3 seconds total, while ClearCam you hear the shutter sound 6 times in Cortex you here it once but I can't find anywhere that tells how many pictures. Cortex is definitely softer than the others
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638796.124463.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365638806.685929.jpg

Tiff+jpeg is 1.9mb
Tiff full is 14.4mb
ClearCam is 10.6mb
Cortex is 2mb

Well, I bought ClearCam :D

645 Pro first level of tiff (tiff + jpeg) then zoomed in. In photoroll third is a screen grab from the desktop tiff saved to photoroll but look sharper on the screen than viewing the tiff in-app. 645 Pro definitely has more noise than ClearCam
View attachment 35312View attachment 35313
645 Pro full tiff, since there is nothing in photoroll I zoomed in in 645 Pro in-app viewer second is screen grab from desktop.
View attachment 35314View attachment 35319
ClearCam on Enhanced, pictures took at most a second, aligning about 4 and enhancing 26-27 sec
View attachment 35315View attachment 35316
Cortex, took maybe 3 seconds total, while ClearCam you hear the shutter sound 6 times in Cortex you here it once but I can't find anywhere that tells how many pictures. Cortex is definitely softer than the others
View attachment 35317View attachment 35318

Tiff+jpeg is 1.9mb
Tiff full is 14.4mb
ClearCam is 10.6mb
Cortex is 2mb
Cortex at 2mb wow that would save me some space

Cortex at 2mb wow that would save me some space
Tomorrow I will take some pictures outside if it's half decent and see how they compare, might try ClearCam in it's other mode...

Well. I had to do some running around this morning and took a few pictures with Cortex and ClearCam (stupid me had it set on quick mode :() so I will have to try it again. In quick mode to takes 4 images and uses the best one so none show any movement but overall still pretty sharp despite it's trying to be miserable out (cold and another storm coming in). I will post this pic, taken with Cortex and you will see what movement does....
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1365711601.184358.jpg

Zoom in as far as you can :) could see some people using it in some cases. This has no people but vehicles on the way home. I might have to go to a mall and take some of people. With people not moving as fast the blur might work better.
I think it went a bit wonkie in the middle because I had a car pass right beside me

Lzed, thanks for posting your comparisons between ClearCam, 645Pro and Cortex. I had tried all three at different times and have been using ClearCam almost exclusively for my base images. I reached the same opinion about the apparent noise levels produced by each app, and I thought that 645 was too noisy and a bit cumbersome. Cortex does have a nice clear output but just fell a little short in over all quality of the finished image. ClearCam is far from perfect but I think it's the best at what it does.

Dc, I think you should use the workflow that produces the results you want. I found that BigPhoto reduces all photo DPI to 72x72 regardless of what you feed it.

I reached the same opinion about the apparent noise levels produced by each app, and I thought that 645 was too noisy and a bit cumbersome.
I agree 645 can be cumbersome and slow when shooting TIFF. But I've never experienced a noise issue. Then again, I've always compared its output to the iOS camera app. I'm definitely a TiFF guy and prefer an uncompressed image. Pure Shot is much snappier.

Dc, I think you should use the workflow that produces the results you want. I found that BigPhoto reduces all photo DPI to 72x72 regardless of what you feed it.
I didn't know that about Big photo. Thanks. Filterstorm was my resizing tool in the past, and I may go back to it. I love PhotoGene. It was my first photo app on my 1st gen iPad, long before I had an iPhone. I haven't bit the Pro bullet yet, though. I started using Filterstorm almost exclusively shortly after getting PhotoGene.

I put some of the noise down to poor lighting. I have one 60 watt equiv fluorescent and whatever light from the window and from my computer screen so not exactly lots of light. Window has a roman shade so let's some light through but a lot is blocked. When I was downtown I had is set on quick mode. Next time I go downtown I will get some more in enhanced. Right now we are in the blizzard but in a couple days supposed to be on the plus side and I can redo the same pictures outside in far better light.

Really interesting read. Fortunately I only have an iPhone4 with small capacity so TIFFs really aren't a viable option. I just shoot JPEG with ProCamera / Hipstamatic. Will have to revisit this when I upgrade :)

Really interesting read. Fortunately I only have an iPhone4 with small capacity so TIFFs really aren't a viable option. I just shoot JPEG with ProCamera / Hipstamatic. Will have to revisit this when I upgrade :)
Tiff images (645 Pro, Pure Shot, KitCam etc) are around 14.5mb on my iPad, iPhone should be the same for the 4/4S, 5 will be bigger because it 8mp instead of 5mp. MaxJPG which 645 Pro or Pure Shot can save to are around 3.9mb (100% ie no compression) on the iPad, v the standard camera apps 2mb. ClearCam in enhanced mode pictures are 3840x2904 (10.6mp) and 2.2mb on the iPad.

Even though I have 64 gig to play in I move pictures over to the desktop pretty fast.

645 Pro and Pure Shot can both save to HI Quality JPEG, MAX-Quality JPEG or dRAW TIFF so you have the option. KitCam can save to JPEG or TIFF and you can set the quality. I have all of these apps (and more :)). I like taking pictures of sunsets and I use several apps. Oggl I take an image every once in a while, Hipstamatic more often because you can't alter it afterwards. Pure Shot currently is set to bracketed shots, 645 Pro set to TIFF, KitCam set to 100% TIFF. ClearCam in enhanced mode, I generally always try one of the HDR apps that I have (I think I am only missing one true HDR apps (where they use 2-4 images depending on the app)). Normally all told I take around 100 images. I sort through them and only post a couple here. I also move the whole bunch over to the terabyte drives.

Tiff images (645 Pro, Pure Shot, KitCam etc) are around 14.5mb on my iPad, iPhone should be the same for the 4/4S, 5 will be bigger because it 8mp instead of 5mp. MaxJPG which 645 Pro or Pure Shot can save to are around 3.9mb (100% ie no compression) on the iPad, v the standard camera apps 2mb. ClearCam in enhanced mode pictures are 3840x2904 (10.6mp) and 2.2mb on the iPad.

Even though I have 64 gig to play in I move pictures over to the desktop pretty fast.

645 Pro and Pure Shot can both save to HI Quality JPEG, MAX-Quality JPEG or dRAW TIFF so you have the option. KitCam can save to JPEG or TIFF and you can set the quality. I have all of these apps (and more :)). I like taking pictures of sunsets and I use several apps. Oggl I take an image every once in a while, Hipstamatic more often because you can't alter it afterwards. Pure Shot currently is set to bracketed shots, 645 Pro set to TIFF, KitCam set to 100% TIFF. ClearCam in enhanced mode, I generally always try one of the HDR apps that I have (I think I am only missing one true HDR apps (where they use 2-4 images depending on the app)). Normally all told I take around 100 images. I sort through them and only post a couple here. I also move the whole bunch over to the terabyte drives.

I'd need to get much more organised to free up the capacity. I use Dropbox to transfer automatically to laptop (no mac). Think I read somewhere about a quality issue with that but I haven't seen anything first hand.

I'd need to get much more organised to free up the capacity. I use Dropbox to transfer automatically to laptop (no mac). Think I read somewhere about a quality issue with that but I haven't seen anything first hand.
Dropbox used to down res your photos if you copied than back to your iPhone later, but would upload in fill resolution. My new option is Flickr. With 1 terabyte of space I upload my TIFFs on a regular basis and then delete when I need space.

Dropbox used to down res your photos if you copied than back to your iPhone later, but would upload in fill resolution. My new option is Flickr. With 1 terabyte of space I upload my TIFFs on a regular basis and then delete when I need space.
Ah that's an idea. Dropbox auto-syncs but I guess there are ways to set up a Flickr workflow in to a private set or collection for storage. I wouldn't want to publish everything. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom