• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

New Cross-Country USA Road Trip

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
“Once you make a decision the universe conspires to make it happen.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since my 20s I've dreamt of alternative living situations... a Mini Winnie to travel the US, or maybe an adobe or cob house I'd build myself, a house boat, or a treehouse. Several years ago I discovered the tiny house on wheels (THOW) and fell in love. Unfortunately, living in New Jersey has proved difficult to bring this dream to reality.

After much thought and soul searching, I decided I was tired of simply wishing and dreaming. So.......I'm excited to announce that I'm buying a THOW and moving to Washington state!

To say that every piece of this decision has fallen into place with the utmost ease and grace is an understatement. There have been so many synchronisities, almost on a daily basis, that there's no doubt in my mind the Universe is guiding my way and this is the path I'm meant to take.

I am filled with so many emotions... I've lived on the East Coast for 32 years, made life-long friends and family, and become the person I am because of these people and experiences. I've laid down some serious roots. Despite the sadness I feel about moving away from people I love dearly, I'm excited to start this next chapter of my life, be near my West Coast family and friends, and explore the beautiful Pacific Northwest. (Goodbye hot & humid nasty summers!!)

September 12th is the day I hit the road in my Mini Cooper, fulfilling another dream of driving cross-country! I'm excited to share the journey with you all here. xoxo

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
“Once you make a decision the universe conspires to make it happen.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since my 20s I've dreamt of alternative living situations... a Mini Winnie to travel the US, or maybe an adobe or cob house I'd build myself, a house boat, or a treehouse. Several years ago I discovered the tiny house on wheels (THOW) and fell in love. Unfortunately, living in New Jersey has proved difficult to bring this dream to reality.

After much thought and soul searching, I decided I was tired of simply wishing and dreaming. So.......I'm excited to announce that I'm buying a THOW and moving to Washington state!

To say that every piece of this decision has fallen into place with the utmost ease and grace is an understatement. There have been so many synchronisities, almost on a daily basis, that there's no doubt in my mind the Universe is guiding my way and this is the path I'm meant to take.

I am filled with so many emotions... I've lived on the East Coast for 32 years, made life-long friends and family, and become the person I am because of these people and experiences. I've laid down some serious roots. Despite the sadness I feel about moving away from people I love dearly, I'm excited to start this next chapter of my life, be near my West Coast family and friends, and explore the beautiful Pacific Northwest. (Goodbye hot & humid nasty summers!!)

September 12th is the day I hit the road in my Mini Cooper, fulfilling another dream of driving cross-country! I'm excited to share the journey with you all here. xoxo
Ooooooh, super exciting. I can’t wait to see all of the images of your cross-country adventure. Have you decided on a route?

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Wow, wow, wow! I’m so excited for you! Life’s too short not to live your dreams if you can. Sounds so meant to be!! Can’t wait to see your journey and see your set up.

Now that the DH is retired, he has been going away on lots of overnights to play golf and I’ve started to think of doing some overnight photography jollys myself but sort of camping / living out of my car so that I can wake up early in the morning and make use of the dawn and be in nature. Problem here in the UK is that summer is so short.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Wow, wow, wow! I’m so excited for you! Life’s too short not to live your dreams if you can. Sounds so meant to be!! Can’t wait to see your journey and see your set up.

Now that the DH is retired, he has been going away on lots of overnights to play golf and I’ve started to think of doing some overnight photography jollys myself but sort of camping / living out of my car so that I can wake up early in the morning and make use of the dawn and be in nature. Problem here in the UK is that summer is so short.
Is it really possible in the UK? I think we are very limited in such a crowded little country, you're never very far from a duel carriageway choked with lorries and a McDonalds !!
I envy the wide open spaces that other countries have.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Is it really possible in the UK? I think we are very limited in such a crowded little country, you're never very far from a duel carriageway choked with lorries and a McDonalds !!
I envy the wide open spaces that other countries have.
What John said, and, is it safe? A woman on her own camping/sleeping and living in a car? Okay on a campsite maybe, but not on country roads. It’s impossible to get away from anyone in this country. Maybe in Scotland and up a mountain in Wales, but even then. No need to rough it Ann. Stay in a b&b and get out before breakfast in autumn and you’ll get some wonderful misty morning shots.

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Good for you! Looking forward to images of your trip and new life.

We are planing a short jaunt to Pennsylvania later this week. Tell me more about this ghost town.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Good for you! Looking forward to images of your trip and new life.

We are planing a short jaunt to Pennsylvania later this week. Tell me more about this ghost town.
I saw my first fireflies in Pennsylvania. What a strange state it is. Lots and lots of trees as I remember, and the people are ... not sure what the word is. Rustic? Simple (meaning uncomplicated - not meant to be rude).

deepop

No Mobi-limiter...
MobiSupporter
Real Name
David
Device
iPhone Xs
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Why am I not surprised? Can't wait to see your journey.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Ha ha I did but I can't ever imagine anyone owning one. If you mean a caravan or trailer as you would say, I get that, but a house on wheels hmm. I'm eager for updates :thumbs:
A THOW is similar to a caravan but the materials used to build them are higher quality - they are the same as for a *regular* house. The main difference to a house on a foundation is size, and it’s placed on a trailer so it can be towed.

To buy a house on a foundation one needs to be able to commit to that location, usually for many, many years. Yes you could sell your house.... or not, depending on the market. I like the fact that I can move it to a new location if I desire.... I could even travel the USA with it if I had a truck to tow it. :)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
That sounds like a wonderful idea! You could also get a little teardrop trailer that would be easy to tow.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
A THOW is similar to a caravan but the materials used to build them are higher quality - they are the same as for a *regular* house. The main difference to a house on a foundation is size, and it’s placed on a trailer so it can be towed.

To buy a house on a foundation one needs to be able to commit to that location, usually for many, many years. Yes you could sell your house.... or not, depending on the market. I like the fact that I can move it to a new location if I desire.... I could even travel the USA with it if I had a truck to tow it. :)
Yeah I get the physical concept, it's just in the UK I don't think this would work. Would you rent the land its parked in? Would you park in a campsite, in which case your time would be limited to only part of a year. Too many rules and regulations here :lol:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Yeah I get the physical concept, it's just in the UK I don't think this would work. Would you rent the land its parked in? Would you park in a campsite, in which case your time would be limited to only part of a year. Too many rules and regulations here :lol:
Probably the best scenario is if you had a friend who would let you park it on their property (that’s what I’m doing). In the US, there are also several tiny house communities, and my ultimate goal would be to live in one of these communities.

dscheff

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Jeffrey
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
This is quite a big thing here in the US where some people built 12-20k sq foot homes and then wonder why they are robbed. The tiny house movement has blossomed because people don't want to squander resources that should be available for future generations. I'm considering building a house out of shipping containers because recycling is, in my opinion, a better way to conserve.
I have some friends who have been living in a tiny for some years now. They have traveled pretty much all over the US and finally parked their home on the Pacific coast somewhere in a community designed around tiny homes :)