• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

New Cross-Country USA Road Trip

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I have some friends who have been living in a tiny for some years now. They have traveled pretty much all over the US and finally parked their home on the Pacific coast somewhere in a community designed around tiny homes :)
Cool! Are they on IG? Do you know the name of the community they parked in? I’m gathering a list for future reference.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
This is quite a big thing here in the US where some people built 12-20k sq foot homes and then wonder why they are robbed. The tiny house movement has blossomed because people don't want to squander resources that should be available for future generations. I'm considering building a house out of shipping containers because recycling is, in my opinion, a better way to conserve.
I have some friends who have been living in a tiny for some years now. They have traveled pretty much all over the US and finally parked their home on the Pacific coast somewhere in a community designed around tiny homes :)
I can't wait to downsize in 2 years. I've started decluttering at the moment and enjoying chucking so much out but my DH calls me MacGyver because I've always got an idea on how to fix something and always the stuff to fix it with. So I will find it hard to get rid of everything I think is 'useful'.

I can't understand why people are building bigger and bigger houses. So much space is so unnecessary.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Thought I’d share the floor plan of my tiny! I’m waiting for a 3D rendering, which I’m super excited about. It’s hard to really visualize it with a flat floor plan. FYI, the window above the seating area will be round.

7B1450FF-F710-437E-8A2B-192748A83AA9.jpeg

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Thought I’d share the floor plan of my tiny! I’m waiting for a 3D rendering, which I’m super excited about. It’s hard to really visualize it with a flat floor plan. FYI, the window above the seating area will be round.

View attachment 148580
It’s the same size as our caravan, only you’ve got the advantage of an upstairs. I’m surprised that the entry door opens inwards. You’d get soooo much more room if it opened outwards (like our ‘van door does - and it locks in place when you push it open).

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
It’s the same size as our caravan, only you’ve got the advantage of an upstairs. I’m surprised that the entry door opens inwards. You’d get soooo much more room if it opened outwards (like our ‘van door does - and it locks in place when you push it open).
Hmmmm.... I can ask the builder about that, but I think apartment/house doors always open inwards... maybe safety reasons... you can crack the door open to see who is knocking, and close it easily?

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hmmmm.... I can ask the builder about that, but I think apartment/house doors always open inwards... maybe safety reasons... you can crack the door open to see who is knocking, and close it easily?
Get one of those little spy hole thingies. :D It’s a toss up for me whether it’s better to open the door inwards and have someone push it, or have someone grab it and pull it open. You’ll have some sort of chain on it will you? Anyway, nobody’s going to try to get in.:rolleyes:

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Get one of those little spy hole thingies. :D It’s a toss up for me whether it’s better to open the door inwards and have someone push it, or have someone grab it and pull it open. You’ll have some sort of chain on it will you? Anyway, nobody’s going to try to get in.:rolleyes:
In houses, exterior doors open in. One reason is it that puts the pin of the hinge on the inside of the house. If the pin is on the outside, any housebreaker could remove the entire door just by pulling the pins. (There may be some kinds of hinges with permanently fixed pins, in which case you can ignore what I said. :D But I've only ever seen ones with removable pins.)

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Or rolled to the side. Probably not ideal for a main entry, but wonderfully space saving in small houses. Does your door open right up, to flatten against the exterior wall ?

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I'm considering building a house out of shipping containers because recycling is, in my opinion, a better way to conserve.
I
I’ve browsed some amazing re-cycling of shipping containers for housing - so exciting to see such creative recycling of resources. Do share your research/dreaming if/when it starts to take shape :)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
In houses, exterior doors open in. One reason is it that puts the pin of the hinge on the inside of the house. If the pin is on the outside, any housebreaker could remove the entire door just by pulling the pins.
Ahhhhhhhhh..... :thumbs:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Or rolled to the side. Probably not ideal for a main entry, but wonderfully space saving in small houses. Does your door open right up, to flatten against the exterior wall ?
Yes, exactly. That way it’s not flapping about. And it has the rubbish bin attached to it - another bit of space-saving.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
In houses, exterior doors open in. One reason is it that puts the pin of the hinge on the inside of the house. If the pin is on the outside, any housebreaker could remove the entire door just by pulling the pins. (There may be some kinds of hinges with permanently fixed pins, in which case you can ignore what I said. :D But I've only ever seen ones with removable pins.)
Makes sense. Strangely, in Scandinavia the doors open outwards. When we’ve been watching some Scandi murder mystery we’re always surprised when someone knocks at a door and it opens outwards. I wonder what they do with their pins?

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
With the door opening on the side of the cupboard it would be quite difficult to open it just a little to see who’s there. I know it doesn’t give you as much privacy but I would have the hinge on the right hand side going inwards so that when the door is open it’s up against the cupboard. Otherwise when you want to keep the door open it will always be blocking the seat. Also, if you have a group, people could sit inside and stand outside and still be connected.

It’s beautiful! Swoon. I think you will love it. I can so see you in it. A little place of your own perfectly formed. Wonderful.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Is it really possible in the UK? I think we are very limited in such a crowded little country, you're never very far from a duel carriageway choked with lorries and a McDonalds !!
I envy the wide open spaces that other countries have.
What John said, and, is it safe? A woman on her own camping/sleeping and living in a car? Okay on a campsite maybe, but not on country roads. It’s impossible to get away from anyone in this country. Maybe in Scotland and up a mountain in Wales, but even then. No need to rough it Ann. Stay in a b&b and get out before breakfast in autumn and you’ll get some wonderful misty morning shots.
Totally doable in the UK. Harder in a city I imagine but there's loads of more rural places you can park up. I can think of 3 locally and my sister has a small holding in Rutland with hard standing for such vehicles.
It would be harder, I imagine, to find more permanent bases which would make paid employment in a fixed location harder to do but even then, I know several people who live in canal boats with permanent moorings which is common in some cities.
I also have a friend who's a runner and there are networks of locations that are friendly to even large, transient populations of people moving through. I bet there's a thow.com or something like it where you can plan your stop overs.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Totally doable in the UK. Harder in a city I imagine but there's loads of more rural places you can park up. I can think of 3 locally and my sister has a small holding in Rutland with hard standing for such vehicles.
It would be harder, I imagine, to find more permanent bases which would make paid employment in a fixed location harder to do but even then, I know several people who live in canal boats with permanent moorings which is common in some cities.
I also have a friend who's a runner and there are networks of locations that are friendly to even large, transient populations of people moving through. I bet there's a thow.com or something like it where you can plan your stop overs.
I'll retract my "Totally doable in the UK" statement. I've had a chat with my runner mate and she thinks it would be hard. A lot of the organised runs she joins have people just leaving their cars at the road side en mass and she finds that a worry. She also tells me that unless you can get a permanent mooring on a canal, there are many restrictions on places to moor up and lengths of time.
She does have a mate who lives on a permanent site in a mobile over Blackburn way but he does seem to be an exception.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I'll retract my "Totally doable in the UK" statement. I've had a chat with my runner mate and she thinks it would be hard. A lot of the organised runs she joins have people just leaving their cars at the road side en mass and she finds that a worry. She also tells me that unless you can get a permanent mooring on a canal, there are many restrictions on places to moor up and lengths of time.
She does have a mate who lives on a permanent site in a mobile over Blackburn way but he does seem to be an exception.
I live near a Marina and they really don't like permanent 'residents'. They do their best to keep it to a minimum. We deal with a consultant at work that lives on a barge and he's constantly on the move around the midlands canals.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I live near a Marina and they really don't like permanent 'residents'. They do their best to keep it to a minimum. We deal with a consultant at work that lives on a barge and he's constantly on the move around the midlands canals.
So should he be. What’s the point of living on a bloody barge if you don’t . . . barge around?

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Yes, exactly. That way it’s not flapping about. And it has the rubbish bin attached to it - another bit of space-saving.
I thought it might slide, soundlessly, into the wall cavity. Or roll up (soundlessly) into an attractive above-door feature that doubled as a Bose sound system. Or glissade (soundlessly) into the undercarriage, forming a temporary storage for your wellies :mobibabe:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Get one of those little spy hole thingies. :D
With the door opening on the side of the cupboard it would be quite difficult to open it just a little to see who’s there.
This is the door design I want to have, with the glass along just one side of it, so I will be able to see who's out there without opening my door first. :D

door 01.jpg