• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

New Cross-Country USA Road Trip

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Makes sense. Strangely, in Scandinavia the doors open outwards. When we’ve been watching some Scandi murder mystery we’re always surprised when someone knocks at a door and it opens outwards. I wonder what they do with their pins?
I googled around and found a page on "security hinges" for just that purpose:

Or the Scandanavians may have something clever like their cabinet hinges instead?

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Totally doable in the UK. Harder in a city I imagine but there's loads of more rural places you can park up. I can think of 3 locally and my sister has a small holding in Rutland with hard standing for such vehicles.
It would be harder, I imagine, to find more permanent bases which would make paid employment in a fixed location harder to do but even then, I know several people who live in canal boats with permanent moorings which is common in some cities.
I also have a friend who's a runner and there are networks of locations that are friendly to even large, transient populations of people moving through. I bet there's a thow.com or something like it where you can plan your stop overs.
There was a whole tv series on mostly little houses called Amazing Spaces with George Clark. Through one of the series George actually makes a small place for himself and his family that he puts up in the country.

dscheff

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Jeffrey
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I can't wait to downsize in 2 years. I've started decluttering at the moment and enjoying chucking so much out but my DH calls me MacGyver because I've always got an idea on how to fix something and always the stuff to fix it with. So I will find it hard to get rid of everything I think is 'useful'.

I can't understand why people are building bigger and bigger houses. So much space is so unnecessary.
Atlanta is full of McMansions. It goes like this: buy an old 1950's style house on 22kSqFt. Tear it down. Rip out the trees and shrubs and scrape away the grass. Build a 12-18,000SqFt "mansion," Import trees and shrubs and lay sod.
We once went to a community garage sale in Buckhead where the owners rode around inside the house on golf carts. Funnily enough the items they had on sale were Walmart and Target brand items. My wife said they were "house poor." It's getting that way here again sadly.

dscheff

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Jeffrey
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
In houses, exterior doors open in. One reason is it that puts the pin of the hinge on the inside of the house. If the pin is on the outside, any housebreaker could remove the entire door just by pulling the pins. (There may be some kinds of hinges with permanently fixed pins, in which case you can ignore what I said. :D But I've only ever seen ones with removable pins.)
In Scandinavia most exterior doors open outwards. For safety, in case you need to flee an internal fire. For space, in a tiny hallway, and for comfort, so the snow doesn't fall in when you open the door. Also, when the wind blows, the pressure on the door gives it a better seal. Usually they have a set screw that cannot be loosened unless the door is wide open.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
A group of my friends went “down the shore” (as they say in Joisey) and spent a couple nights in Asbury Park. More memories were made, and tears were shed (by me.... constantly.... :rolleyes: :feet: )

E8311FEB-14C0-4AEB-B94A-AFC18AAEA479.jpeg
783903D8-B4E2-4AC1-B7ED-10011DF86E58.jpeg
B1885E3B-93B1-4E9F-9D59-2FBD3E2EDAC7.jpeg

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
WHAT? That’s come around quickly. Oh my goodness! So you must have your itinerary sorted out now. Does it include a detour to California? :lol:
Yippee! Cat’s on the move soon and we get to see her do it!
I wanted to ask for a count down!!!! I’m so excited for you!
California may not be in the cards for this trip, but it’s most definitely in my future. :D

I’m thinking head southwest a bit, cutting through Tennessee... stop by Santa Fe, NM... head to Fort Collins, CO to visit the company who's building my THOW... then head north either via Utah/Idaho/Oregon, or via Wyoming/Montana. My traveling buddy has to get home to start classes, so that puts some limits on the time we take to cross.

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
California may not be in the cards for this trip, but it’s most definitely in my future. :D

I’m thinking head southwest a bit, cutting through Tennessee... stop by Santa Fe, NM... head to Fort Collins, CO to visit the company who's building my THOW... then head north either via Utah/Idaho/Oregon, or via Wyoming/Montana. My traveling buddy has to get home to start classes, so that puts some limits on the time we take to cross.
I suppose I’m being mother-henish, but I’m glad you’re not traveling alone.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I suppose I’m being mother-henish, but I’m glad you’re not traveling alone.
Thank you for caring.... :inlove: and I know you’re not alone, not naming any names, but..... :whistle: :sneaky:

I may do the last bits from Idaho to Washington alone... Barrett has a deadline, and I don’t, so I may put him on a plane in Boise and take a few extra days to head to WA.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
2CFCCB48-CF79-45E7-9E93-69B11011D675.jpeg

I’ve got a route started.... now it’s feeling exciting!!

New Jersey —-> Arlington, VA
I have a friend there, and we can hang in D.C. for a day.

VA —-> Roan Mountain, Tennessee
A FB friend who traveled the US for a few years in her Airstream (and who I followed and lived my nomadic life vicariously through her posts!) now rents it on Airbnb so we’re staying there a night!

TN —-> Fort Collins, Colorado
Visiting my THOW builder!!

CO —-> Arches National Park, Utah

UT —-> Boise, Idaho
A High School friend I can visit. My traveling partner has a date he needs to return home, and I don’t, so he may hop a plane to Seattle here.

ID —-> Portland, Oregon
Because I’ve never been, and I have a friend there who I can meet up with.

OR —-> Washington!

I’m sure there will be miscellaneous stops in between, but at least I have the skeleton worked out. We both have tents/sleeping bags so some nights of camping too!

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Thank you for caring.... :inlove: and I know you’re not alone, not naming any names, but..... :whistle: :sneaky:

I may do the last bits from Idaho to Washington alone... Barrett has a deadline, and I don’t, so I may put him on a plane in Boise and take a few extra days to head to WA.
Please check in everyday. If you can. If you don’t, I’ll try not to worry. :(