• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Cross-Country USA Road Trip

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Hey Dorothy, you’re in Kansas!!! :lol:
:lol:
It looks a bit lonely out there (that road!). Were you the only one there?
I was a little nervous at first, because YES it was in the middle of nowheresville. But when I got out to the rocks, there was an older gentleman there, and then some other couple drove up, and then another... so at first I was a little relieved, but then a little annoyed because I wanted to soak it all up by myself (so I walked around the rocks and climbed a little bit, to get away from the people :rolleyes: )

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
595E1366-DC59-40D4-BCF7-795B78BC7B27.jpeg

Snapseed

I met up with Mitch in Fort Collins, Colorado - he owns the company that is building my THOW. :D I got to tour two builds, and the craftsmanship is beautiful. Am even more excited now!

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
So I found myself in Denver for a night, and decided to go old school and stay in a hostel. My first pick was sold out, but I got a room in the other local hostel.

It certainly was an adventure! :lol:

I was in a 6 bunk all woman room, and was given a top bunk. :rolleyes: Climbing up and down the first time or two were tricky, but by morning I was doing it like a pro. The shared bathroom/showers was spic & span and really nice.

Not much sleep was had due to raucous partying at the outdoor Oktoberfest festivities literally outside the room/next door + loud music one flight below in the hostel's bar at their open mic night + women coming in/out of the room at all hours + one woman who kept organizing her stuff in the middle of the night and flashing her cell flashlight all over the room, even turning on the overhead light a couple times (I was thankful for my sleep eye mask). Had I been in my 20s I would have joined the party for sure!

The hostel was funky and had a cool vibe.

5D6C4862-AC64-4FE6-9CEC-6E756D78272E.jpeg

3BCFE4F8-9EB9-4A54-A1CB-98ACF08996FC.jpeg

E8A6880B-A334-4A58-BB04-A199EF805715.jpeg

DC40D683-577D-4444-80C6-49D1DEF89FAF.jpeg

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Is that THE Colorado river? It’s lovely to get out of that hostel (which made me feel claustrophobic for some reason) into this beautiful countryside. What a place!
I’m not sure if this body of water is the Colorado River, but it was beautiful!

Yes.... glad Denver was just one night. I’m not in a *big city* vibe, at all, on this trip.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Wowza! Where are you headed from here?
Hiking some more of Arches tomorrow (I arrived in Moab today), then north to Ogden, Utah, then Idaho, Oregon, Washington. I’m trying to keep my daily driving to 4-5 hours. I decided New Mexico and Cali (you!) will be separate a la carte trips, as I’d want to spend several days in both places. I have loads of time on my hands now, but not unlimited funds. :grimacing:

I wish so badly that I had a tricked out van, so that I didn’t have to search out places to stay every night (and save a load of money too!) I’ve been listening to a podcast “Women on the Road” and learned about Escape Camper Vans. :hearteyes: They have a rental office in Seattle! So I’m planning to rent one during off-peak season and go exploring. And maybe for the New Mexico and Cali trips. My new future goal is to have a built out van to use for traveling.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
So I found myself in Denver for a night, and decided to go old school and stay in a hostel. My first pick was sold out, but I got a room in the other local hostel.

It certainly was an adventure! :lol:

I was in a 6 bunk all woman room, and was given a top bunk. :rolleyes: Climbing up and down the first time or two were tricky, but by morning I was doing it like a pro. The shared bathroom/showers was spic & span and really nice.

Not much sleep was had due to raucous partying at the outdoor Oktoberfest festivities literally outside the room/next door + loud music one flight below in the hostel's bar at their open mic night + women coming in/out of the room at all hours + one woman who kept organizing her stuff in the middle of the night and flashing her cell flashlight all over the room, even turning on the overhead light a couple times (I was thankful for my sleep eye mask). Had I been in my 20s I would have joined the party for sure!

The hostel was funky and had a cool vibe.

View attachment 149792

View attachment 149793

View attachment 149794

View attachment 149795
Wow, what a beautiful hostel. Hah, it all seems so funky - going back to your hostel days until the reality sets in. :lol:

Lol, your night reminded me of when I studied in the US for a year as an older international student when I was 30. I was put in a dorm room for four ladies for the first semester and it was a bit of a nightmare for me. As a student I always went to bed early and got up and studied really early. Sleep was a nightmare but I found an old storage room in the basement of the woman’s dorm which had a couch in it which nobody used and early morning I used to study there or inbetween lectures I staggered in and crashed out :lol: . I had it set up with a blanket and pillow. Unfortunately somebody else cottoned on to it towards the end of the semester and I felt totally put out that somebody was using MY room.:mad::D

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hiking some more of Arches tomorrow (I arrived in Moab today), then north to Ogden, Utah, then Idaho, Oregon, Washington. I’m trying to keep my daily driving to 4-5 hours. I decided New Mexico and Cali (you!) will be separate a la carte trips, as I’d want to spend several days in both places. I have loads of time on my hands now, but not unlimited funds. :grimacing:

I wish so badly that I had a tricked out van, so that I didn’t have to search out places to stay every night (and save a load of money too!) I’ve been listening to a podcast “Women on the Road” and learned about Escape Camper Vans. :hearteyes: They have a rental office in Seattle! So I’m planning to rent one during off-peak season and go exploring. And maybe for the New Mexico and Cali trips. My new future goal is to have a built out van to use for traveling.
Yeah, I’ve been watching a lot of those videos. My DH goes away a lot on golfing trips and I want to take 1-2 night trips away but stay in my car. I’ve worked out that if I put the 2/3 seat down in the back of the car I can put in a single Ikea mattress which we have from a sofa chair. I’ve researched all the bits and bobs and cheap but effective screens for the windows (I have the list on a wishlist on Amazon). However, before I go out and buy all the stuff I want to try it once with just the basics. Again, it may be more romantic than it actually is! CheapRVLiving on YouTube is very good. There are some great apps by the way which show you where you can park for free. I realised early on that staying in a caravan park isn’t always that cheap!

Won’t do it until next summer now though.

Last edited:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Yeah, I’ve been watching a lot of those videos. My DH goes away a lot on golfing trips and I want to take 1-2 night trips away but stay in my car. I’ve worked out that if I put the 2/3 seat down in the back of the car I can put in a single Ikea mattress which we have from a sofa chair. I’ve researched all the bits and bobs and cheap but effective screens for the windows (I have the list on a wishlist on Amazon). However, before I go out and buy all the stuff I want to try it once with just the basics. Again, it may be more romantic than it actually is! CheapRVLiving on YouTube is very good. There are some great apps by the way which show you where you can park for free. I realised early on that staying in a caravan park isn’t always that cheap!

I think that you’re amazingly intrepid to even consider it. :notworthy: I did it about 20 years ago, but I wasn’t on my own. It was an awful experience. I barely slept a wink for worrying about cars coming past and what have you. And someone even parked right next to us in the night in exactly the same make, colour and model of car! The police thought that was odd and came to shine their lights into the car to see what was going on. Even parking the caravan in France anywhere but a proper site is fraught with danger. Someone was saying that they overnighted in their caravan in an Aire (like our service stations, but set up for overnight parking because most lorries aren’t allowed to be on the roads on Sundays) and someone tried to break into the caravan! And don’t think that only people interested in parking for free consult those apps!! And cars in the summer, even at night, are hot and you can’t have the windows or sunroof open, not even a crack. What does your DH say about this plan?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Sometimes (very annoyingly :mad:) my iPhone records videos sideways. I learned you can edit it in the camera roll, choose iMovie, and rotate it by pinching/turning. But when I uploaded it to YouTube it was back to being sideways! Ggggrrrrrr.... and it took forever to upload, so I’ll switch it out another time.

In the meantime, enjoy my gorgeous walk through Arches, sideways. :confused:

EDIT: I fixed it! :D

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

I could totally do that with my Mini if it wasn’t filled with stuff I didn’t want to pack with the movers. :(

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Wow, what a beautiful hostel. Hah, it all seems so funky - going back to your hostel days until the reality sets in. :lol:

Lol, your night reminded me of when I studied in the US for a year as an older international student when I was 30. I was put in a dorm room for four ladies for the first semester and it was a bit of a nightmare for me. As a student I always went to bed early and got up and studied really early. Sleep was a nightmare but I found an old storage room in the basement of the woman’s dorm which had a couch in it which nobody used and early morning I used to study there or inbetween lectures I staggered in and crashed out :lol: . I had it set up with a blanket and pillow. Unfortunately somebody else cottoned on to it towards the end of the semester and I felt totally put out that somebody was using MY room.:mad::D
Brilliant! :D