• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Cross-Country USA Road Trip

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Sometimes (very annoyingly :mad:) my iPhone records videos sideways. I learned you can edit it in the camera roll, choose iMovie, and rotate it by pinching/turning. But when I uploaded it to YouTube it was back to being sideways! Ggggrrrrrr.... and it took forever to upload, so I’ll switch it out another time.

In the meantime, enjoy my gorgeous walk through Arches, sideways. :confused:

EDIT: I fixed it! :D

Wonderful!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I think that you’re amazingly intrepid to even consider it. :notworthy: I did it about 20 years ago, but I wasn’t on my own. It was an awful experience. I barely slept a wink for worrying about cars coming past and what have you. And someone even parked right next to us in the night in exactly the same make, colour and model of car! The police thought that was odd and came to shine their lights into the car to see what was going on. Even parking the caravan in France anywhere but a proper site is fraught with danger. Someone was saying that they overnighted in their caravan in an Aire (like our service stations, but set up for overnight parking because most lorries aren’t allowed to be on the roads on Sundays) and someone tried to break into the caravan! And don’t think that only people interested in parking for free consult those apps!! And cars in the summer, even at night, are hot and you can’t have the windows or sunroof open, not even a crack. What does your DH say about this plan?
Security is a major issue for me. I might still have to consider caravan parks but then I might as well find an Airbnb. I know caravan parks don’t like people sleeping in their cars so I would have to hitch a tent to look kosher although I would still sleep in the car. Definitely wouldn’t feel safe in a tent on my own.

Such a shame this is the world we live in now. I hiked through Europe on my own when I was 26. Can’t believe I did it although I almost always joined up with other ladies. One guy in a group I joined had his wallet stolen. He had joined up with another guy and they had been travelling for a while so he began to trust him. He left his stuff with the other guy to go to the gents and when he came back, the guy had scarpered with his valuables although left his rucksack. What are people like.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Sometimes (very annoyingly :mad:) my iPhone records videos sideways. I learned you can edit it in the camera roll, choose iMovie, and rotate it by pinching/turning. But when I uploaded it to YouTube it was back to being sideways! Ggggrrrrrr.... and it took forever to upload, so I’ll switch it out another time.

In the meantime, enjoy my gorgeous walk through Arches, sideways. :confused:

EDIT: I fixed it! :D

Yay! What an amazing feeling it must be to be there when we’ve all seen it so many times on tv. I hope you got lots of photos.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Stayed a night in Ogden, Utah, and was just delighted to discover this lovely town. Here’s the neighborhood where I stayed... the Airbnb was located right at the foothills of the mountain.

1684082C-C6D0-4C7B-AE01-B056C261EDF3.jpeg

And this trail was a five minute walk from the house!

93747DF0-7914-408A-BC6F-6579C147DE3F.jpeg

EED9572F-FCCC-40C8-B132-737F3290EF0D.jpeg

1341C525-C225-4BFF-BD7B-2E25E501C289.jpeg

97A7797F-0861-4B47-819A-2A69E0037241.jpeg

FC686696-6A06-4DC0-8826-73D367426156.jpeg

And there was a great little place in town where I got a kale smoothie... :drool: I so needed that.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I’m in a wee town for the night, Pendleton, Oregon, and am now in the PST time zone. Amazingly, this little town has an Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and Mexican restaurant! I chose Vietnamese and got a delicious bowl of vegetable Pho. :blush:

Tomorrow I head to Portland, Oregon for two nights, then the home stretch to Washington on Sunday. I can’t believe this cross country journey has almost reached its end.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Stayed a night in Ogden, Utah, and was just delighted to discover this lovely town. Here’s the neighborhood where I stayed... the Airbnb was located right at the foothills of the mountain.

View attachment 149934

View attachment 149933

View attachment 149929

View attachment 149930

View attachment 149931

View attachment 149932

And there was a great little place in town where I got a kale smoothie... :drool: I so needed that.
Great pictures, especially the sunbeam on the old car.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 149934

View attachment 149933

View attachment 149929

View attachment 149930

View attachment 149931

View attachment 149932

Gee reminds me of parts of South Africa and interestingly parts of the South Island in New Zealand.

I can’t believe your trip is nearly over! I feel like you have just started. Have you found the driving exhausting?

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 149934

View attachment 149933

View attachment 149929

View attachment 149930

View attachment 149931

View attachment 149932

Stunning photographs. And what amazing countryside. Just beautiful.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m in a wee town for the night, Pendleton, Oregon, and am now in the PST time zone. Amazingly, this little town has an Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and Mexican restaurant! I chose Vietnamese and got a delicious bowl of vegetable Pho. :blush:

Tomorrow I head to Portland, Oregon for two nights, then the home stretch to Washington on Sunday. I can’t believe this cross country journey has almost reached its end.
Nooooooo! It can’t be coming to an end! It’s only been a few days surely? My friends are driving across America at the moment too, but they’re taking four weeks to do it. East to West in four weeks and then LA to Hawaii (for one week) and then Japan (for one week). I wonder if your paths crossed? :D A Welsh woman and a strange Englishman?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I can’t believe your trip is nearly over! I feel like you have just started. Have you found the driving exhausting?
Nooooooo! It can’t be coming to an end! It’s only been a few days surely?
It seems like it should only be a few days, but today is two weeks! :fearscream: The driving has not been bad as my average is 4 hours each day - a few times my drive was only 3 hours, and I think once it was five, plus a couple times I stayed two nights in a place. I have mixed feelings about the cross country journey ending. :(

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My friends are driving across America at the moment too, but they’re taking four weeks to do it. East to West in four weeks and then LA to Hawaii (for one week) and then Japan (for one week). I wonder if your paths crossed? :D A Welsh woman and a strange Englishman?
How wonderful!! Had I unlimited funds I would have taken a month for the trip.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Here’s a short video from the trail... I loved how the first half of the trail traveled through a densely wooded area, then it opened up to travel along the foothills.

:inlove: It’s interesting how the video seemed to struggle to focus at times. I don’t remember having that problem.