Current Favorite Hipstamatic B&W Combinations ?

chrisD46

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Chris
Looking for inspiration regarding new Hipstamatic lens and B&W film combos (beyond the famous John S. + BlacKeys Supergrain combo) ... What are a few of your current / new Hipstamatic B&W lens / film combos you enjoy ? Thanks in advance - look forward to a good discussion !

Looking for inspiration regarding new Hipstamatic lens and B&W film combos (beyond the famous John S. + BlacKeys Supergrain combo) ... What are a few of your current / new Hipstamatic B&W lens / film combos you enjoy ? Thanks in advance - look forward to a good discussion !
Hmmmm, this is a tricky one Chris. My favourites are usually on someone else’s image.:D So davegray Dave, lkbside Leslie, Geek1956 Kevin, RoseCat Catherine, TomHH Tom, sinnerjohn John - to name but a few - what do you think?

Do you have a favourite/favourites Chris?

As I use Android I can't say much about this. Most looks in apps are based on basic settings and can be done with apps like Snapseed and so on.

Despite of that I like to have control of what happens to my photo. Of course sometimes you get descent results by just one click. But normally this is not my way.

Hipstamatic have, in my opinion, some of the best bnw “film”. Usually the neautral Jane lens with Blackeys B+W

When I think of Hipsta B&W films - these are the ones I think of as being the best candidates where I will concentrate :
AO BW
US1776
BlacKeys Super Grain
Claunch 72
BlacKeys Extra Fine
BlacKeys 44

My favorite BW films are:

AOBW
BKBW - esp with Watts
BlackeysXF
Frutiger - without the frame
Kitsune
SPRKT_BW - with the grain turned down
Uchitel - with film slider move a bit to the left

Last edited:
I'm a fan of clarity. Vicuna, Beard & Jane are good with just about any BW film.

Aristotle and Arjan are particularly interesting as you can get a monochrome effect with different lenses.

*Interesting to note the effect of using various flashes (especially colored) with the various B&W films ... Triple Crown is also interesting with B&W films .
Okay..... this is sooooo off-topic :whistle: but hey, where's your profile pic? ;) :whistle: :sneaky:
So fine.... I'm a bit OCD and like to see a profile pic matched up to a profile name. :coffee:

Okay..... this is sooooo off-topic :whistle: but hey, where's your profile pic? ;) :whistle: :sneaky:
So fine.... I'm a bit OCD and like to see a profile pic matched up to a profile name. :coffee:
I hear ya ! I suffer from being a "completeist" in that I have to have one of every color or pattern in a series (socks , shirts, plastic food storage bowls , ) etc. *I'll work on a respectable profile picture :)

I hear ya ! I suffer from being a "completeist" in that I have to have one of every color or pattern in a series (socks , shirts, plastic food storage bowls , ) etc. *I'll work on a respectable profile picture :)
Oooooo..... if you tell me your closet is color coded I’m going to swoon. :D

Oooooo..... if you tell me your closet is color coded I’m going to swoon. :D
*Yes , lights to darks and by fabric type ... My early childhood hero was NOT an action figure - but rather : "Mr. French" - Cissy , Buffy & Jody's butler from the TV series : "Family Affair" ! :)

Back on topic - thanks to all the replies ! The replies have taught me to think more in terms of tones , and to compartmentalize" ranges of B&W looks . One I've discovered from this excursion is : Wonder + Aristotle + Apollo (quite a rich , black , look !)

*Yes , lights to darks and by fabric type ... My early childhood hero was NOT an action figure - but rather : "Mr. French" - Cissy , Buffy & Jody's butler from the TV series : "Family Affair" ! :)
ROTFLMAO!!! I can’t tell you how much I love this. :D And I’m drooling over your closet.... (and I used to LOVE Family Affair.)

ROTFLMAO!!! I can’t tell you how much I love this. :D And I’m drooling over your closet.... (and I used to LOVE Family Affair.)
*Here you go RoseCat - uploaded selfie ...Feeling good today as I established the color "Teal" as my closet dividing line between my green , 100% cotton . no-iron shirts and those of the same specifications beginning in the color "Blue" !

*Here you go RoseCat - uploaded selfie ...Feeling good today as I established the color "Teal" as my closet dividing line between my green , 100% cotton . no-iron shirts and those of the same specifications beginning in the color "Blue" !
:lol: Hey there Chris.... nice to *see* you! :D Oh, yes..... teal is the absolute perfect color mid-green & blue. :thumbs: I think you should post some images of your closet..... :sneaky:

:lol: Hey there Chris.... nice to *see* you! :D Oh, yes..... teal is the absolute perfect color mid-green & blue. :thumbs: I think you should post some images of your closet..... :sneaky:

Is it though? :sneaky: I don’t want to throw a spanner in the colour-coded works, but is teal really the colour to transition from green to blue? Just asking.:whistle:

Is it though? :sneaky: I don’t want to throw a spanner in the colour-coded works, but is teal really the colour to transition from green to blue? Just asking.:whistle:
With my extensive expertise in color theory :rolleyes::whistle: teal is a greenish-blue (or a blueish-green), soooooooo..... :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom