Data Harvesting

Also, it seems like you can only check one of these.... you’d think you could check the boxes for them all? What are the differences?

View attachment 121699
DNS stands for Domain Name Server, it revolves addresses to make sure you go to the site you wanted to go to. Think of it like roads that all go to the same place but you can only go down one at a time.

See below for the white list. And it’s still showing up on the main page as red.

By "main page," do you mean the history list? If so, check the timestamp on that red entry. It may be that you're just seeing the same previous instance of cats-iphone-7-plus.home being blocked. (That is, the history list is not the blacklist/whitelist; it's a list of actions taken. So if it shows something in red blocked at, say 8:00 am, and then at 8:30 am you add that place to the whitelist, I'd expect to see the 8:00 am red entry remain in the list but not to see any red entries for that place after 8:30 am.)

By the way, I pasted cats-iphone-7-plus.home into the Safari address bar, and it gave me a list of Google search results. Near the top was "Iphone 7 Plus Cats on Amazon - Low Priced Iphone 7 Plus Cats." Who knew that accessory was available?

So if it shows something in red blocked at, say 8:00 am, and then at 8:30 am you add that place to the whitelist, I'd expect to see the 8:00 am red entry remain in the list but not to see any red entries for that place after 8:30 am.)
Oh duh... they all have time/date stamps. It shows 12:30pm today... it’s 2:00pm now so okay, that makes sense.

By the way, I pasted cats-iphone-7-plus.home into the Safari address bar, and it gave me a list of Google search results. Near the top was "Iphone 7 Plus Cats on Amazon - Low Priced Iphone 7 Plus Cats." Who knew that accessory was available?
So WEIRD!!!

DNS stands for Domain Name Server, it revolves addresses to make sure you go to the site you wanted to go to. Think of it like roads that all go to the same place but you can only go down one at a time.
So, does it matter which one I have ticked? (Sorry for all the questions.... this stuff is pretty alien to me.)

Here’s some more stuff I have turned on... does this look correct to you guys?

ABFC7699-4748-4908-BE7F-69E47F57C7EC.png

So, does it matter which one I have ticked?
It should make a difference in how much stuff gets blocked at the DNS level, but there's not enough information there to help you decide which is best for you. I picked Seven DNS (the default), which is the company that makes AdClear and so seemed a likely way to go. If I were planning to keep using this (I haven't decided), I'd have to do some research to figure out which does what.

Here’s some more stuff I have turned on... does this look correct to you guys?
I have all of those turned on, including Social Media Plugin. I'm guessing (guessing!) that when turned on, this option blocks the Facebook, Twitter, etc., buttons that you see on so many web pages. I wouldn't expect it to block your access to those sites if you decided to go there directly.

I noticed today that the VPN toggle seems to switch off on its own. :alien: I was in Settings, and also the AdClear app today checking the White List as I was having problems connecting to a website. I noticed the VPN was toggled off, so I turned it on. I’m at work now and the switch is off again. :flushed:

I noticed today that the VPN toggle seems to switch off on its own. :alien: I was in Settings, and also the AdClear app today checking the White List as I was having problems connecting to a website. I noticed the VPN was toggled off, so I turned it on. I’m at work now and the switch is off again. :flushed:
Do you really need a VPN on your phone Catherine?

I dunno..... Riz had something similar... sounded cool.... <shrugs> I mainly wanted something to get rid of Google ads in articles that are always in the way and annoying.

It's a side effect of this particular ad blocker.
Opera has a built in Ad blocker, pop-ups are blocked on Chrome and Ad-block offers a free browser with um ad-block ;)
Imho installing a VPN just to block ads seems like a sledgehammer/walnut approach, but what do I know, my data is so harvested its like bread now :lol:

Opera has a built in Ad blocker, pop-ups are blocked on Chrome and Ad-block offers a free browser with um ad-block ;)
Imho installing a VPN just to block ads seems like a sledgehammer/walnut approach, but what do I know, my data is so harvested its like bread now :lol:
It does do more than just block ads, including some tracking of who's gathering data, though it doesn't seem to be as detailed as the Android app rizole's using. I haven't dug into it enough to know all that it does (or whether it might have caused RoseCat's problem), so I haven't decided if I'll stick with it or drop back to the ad blocker I was using before.

Back
Top Bottom