IOTM WInner - April 2022
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Onsite
Project Page
25026191476_b067e0c9bb_o.jpg

Had the day off work Monday. Weather was fine, we went up into the Derbyshire high peak and visited the Blue John Cavern. This was after the trip 300 feet underground.
LG G4 + snapseed.

This is great John. Lovely processing and the ratios are just right. I love the way Snapseed can make a sky dark and brooding even when it's not. Blue John is amazing stuff isn't it. Once upon a time you could pick up loads of it around the cave entrance, but it's quite rare now. I've never been down into the cavern (shivers at the thought). In fact I don't think I've ever been deeper underground than a house cellar ha ha.

This is great John. Lovely processing and the ratios are just right. I love the way Snapseed can make a sky dark and brooding even when it's not. Blue John is amazing stuff isn't it. Once upon a time you could pick up loads of it around the cave entrance, but it's quite rare now. I've never been down into the cavern (shivers at the thought). In fact I don't think I've ever been deeper underground than a house cellar ha ha.
You can see the Blue John in clusters in the rock when you're down in the cavern. Interesting stuff and the guide still mines there in the 'off season' so he knows his stuff. It was an enjoyable visit.
As far as ratio is concerned, the default with the G4 is 16:9 which gives the full 16mp. I do prefer 4:3 but its drops megapixels so I tend to shoot 16:9 and crop when I feel the need. Thanks btw :)

View attachment 73861

Had the day off work Monday. Weather was fine, we went up into the Derbyshire high peak and visited the Blue John Cavern. This was after the trip 300 feet underground.
LG G4 + snapseed.
Holy smokes this is a splendid capture! I agree with what everyone else said and add that I love the almost tilt-shift effect on the tree. Very well done :):thumbs: This looks so real. You might get an awesome effect if you print this on Kodak Endura paper.

Holy smokes this is a splendid capture! I agree with what everyone else said and add that I love the almost tilt-shift effect on the tree. Very well done :):thumbs: This looks so real. You might get an awesome effect if you print this on Kodak Endura paper.
many thanks. I very rarely print my images, I know I should :(
I think the 'almost' tilt-shift is my slight blurring effect.

many thanks. I very rarely print my images, I know I should :(
I think the 'almost' tilt-shift is my slight blurring effect.
It's funny how we get some unintended consequences in photography? They sometimes give an image a whole new slant. I think one of the endearing qualities of mobile photography, over carrying a DSLR, is this hit and miss experience.

View attachment 73861

LG G4 + snapseed.

Your amazing shot is looking great in b&w too ( correct me if I'm wrong)!

(Sample image deleted. See below)
Click it ...

Last edited:
IMHO it's a bit of a moot point whether it looks good in black and white too. I think if I'd wanted to see it in b&w I'd have gone back to John and asked him to do it rather than do it myself and repost it. But that's just me. Unless I'm asked to deliberately change someone's work of art (which I believe all of our posts are) say in a challenge, I wouldn't do it. No offence.

IMHO it's a bit of a moot point whether it looks good in black and white too. I think if I'd wanted to see it in b&w I'd have gone back to John and asked him to do it rather than do it myself and repost it. But that's just me. Unless I'm asked to deliberately change someone's work of art (which I believe all of our posts are) say in a challenge, I wouldn't do it. No offence.
I guess I was more surprised than offended. I've not been part of this community that long, so I didn't know if it's the done thing around here. It's certainly not something I'd personally do without being asked or invited.
I don't even know 'BoBo' or even his name, but like I say, I'm not offended.
Maybe just ask next time!
I think this picture deserves to be in colour

Back
Top Bottom