Desktop Studies

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
Three mini Still Life studies, the idea being to compose a shot using a variety of small odds and ends, just using the top of a desk or table as the setting. Shot on iPhone and then run through Hipstamatic or Snapseed to add effects and emphasis. From the top: 'Counting House', 'Keys to the World' and 'Something Fishy'
AOEEE1999.JPG
OGUJE7750.JPG
FZQK9177.JPG

Three mini Still Life studies, the idea being to compose a shot using a variety of small odds and ends, just using the top of a desk or table as the setting. Shot on iPhone and then run through Hipstamatic or Snapseed to add effects and emphasis. From the top: 'Counting House', 'Keys to the World' and 'Something Fishy'
View attachment 168513View attachment 168514View attachment 168515
Nice! I haven't ventured into still life much, but this small scale looks intriguing. :thumbs:

I will occasionally shoot objects around the house but they haven’t looked as good as these. The edits really give them a nice antique lift

the good old lockdown has meant that its been almost impossible to get out and about to shoot, so looking under my nose for suitable subjects has become the norm

These are wonderful!! I especially love the second and third… the colors/tones are gorgeous.

A lovely trio Bill, and I think it helps (don’t you?) to have the right sort of background/surface to photograph them against. I struggle to find something against which I can take things. What did you use?

A lovely trio Bill, and I think it helps (don’t you?) to have the right sort of background/surface to photograph them against. I struggle to find something against which I can take things. What did you use?
I was wondering about that, too. The second one appears to be floating.

Thanks for the kind comments. They are basically just purely 'desktop' setups. As i haven't got a big studio to work in, I would usually go into the kitchen, grab a bit of natural sunlight, or set up a few lamps before the shoot, but being the heart of the house, i could guarantee that someone would barge in at the crucial moment and put the light on or open the fridge door! So I resorted to shooting in my man cave, which means really restricted options. The set up is the top of an old wooden cabinet with either a piece of black card or the back of a photo frame as a backdrop and either a portable ringlight or available window light as illumination. Tightly cropped and any edges shopped out.

Thanks for the kind comments. They are basically just purely 'desktop' setups. As i haven't got a big studio to work in, I would usually go into the kitchen, grab a bit of natural sunlight, or set up a few lamps before the shoot, but being the heart of the house, i could guarantee that someone would barge in at the crucial moment and put the light on or open the fridge door! So I resorted to shooting in my man cave, which means really restricted options. The set up is the top of an old wooden cabinet with either a piece of black card or the back of a photo frame as a backdrop and either a portable ringlight or available window light as illumination. Tightly cropped and any edges shopped out.
Clever, very minimalistic. I like the back of the photo frame idea. I wouldn’t have thought of that for a dark backdrop.

Having a trawl through my archived pics and came across these three, i took with an iphone7. I had just discovered the wonders of Silvertone and decided to have a play, using some old art materials as the subjects. Titles from top to bottom: 'Unvarnished Truth', 'Love Me, Squeeze Me' and 'A Sacred Geometry'

RQFJ3188.JPG
IMG_E0451.JPG
IMG_E0486.JPG

Having a trawl through my archived pics and came across these three, i took with an iphone7. I had just discovered the wonders of Silvertone and decided to have a play, using some old art materials as the subjects. Titles from top to bottom: 'Unvarnished Truth', 'Love Me, Squeeze Me' and 'A Sacred Geometry'

View attachment 168866View attachment 168867View attachment 168868
:thumbs: I love the coloring of Silvertone, too, though sometimes I need to pull back some of the highlights. It works great with these.

:thumbs: I love the coloring of Silvertone, too, though sometimes I need to pull back some of the highlights. It works great with these.
Yep - think the varnish one is on the verge of blowing out, I could do with a bit of tweaking there.

Gosh, do I feel silly! 7,000 creative apps and I never pay attention to the filters that came with the phone!
The Apple photos app is greatly underrated. By messing around with the filters and the saturation slider you can even get a good monochrome

Back
Top Bottom