Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. Fancy something different? Bring out the creative you with Star’s (@Starzee) brand new MobiChallenge! Hai-Oto Challenge HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

DJI Osmo Mobile anyone?

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by richardcb, 30 November 2017.

1. richardcb

richardcb MobiStaff Site Staff

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I bagged a DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal in the Black Friday sales and am currently awaiting its arrival. I've done quite a bit of research on it and see it seems to generally liked but has a few issues, notably with the iPhone 7 Plus.

Any MobiTogger own one of these or have had any experience with them? I notice there was a conversation in this forum back in June, that was almost six months ago now - and probably several firmware updates. I'd love to hear any personal experiences about the Osmo Mobile, pro and con.

2. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    FundyBrian ’s your man! He has one. Actually, he’s written a fair amount about it lately. Been doing some fascinating things with it although can’t remember the threads.

Edit: actually check here:
    https://www.mobitog.com/threads/360-panoramas.21480/page-3#post-355848

Venomator, richardcb and RoseCat like this.
  3. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wow, I am duly impressed that you remembered what brand he has! :notworthy:

Venomator, FundyBrian and ImageArt like this.
  4. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks, ImageArt. Great memory - you're better than my meagre search attempts. :)

Venomator, ImageArt and RoseCat like this.
  5. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, I have one and I’m quite happy with it. The issue that has come up with any powered gimbal with the 7 Plus and newer is a conflict between the camera image stabilization and the gimbal trying to counteract the same motions. Of course the camera has a much smaller range of image stabilization than the gimbal. The solution is to shut off the image stabilization but very few apps are capable of that. If you shoot with the DJI Go app it shuts off the iPhone stabilization. FiLMiC Pro does as well. It hasn’t given me any problems. I have used it on my kayak so shoot video and it worked amazingly well to counteract all the complicated movements of the boat in the waves. I had the DJI Osmo Mobile attached to the kayak. I made up an L-bracket that fastens to the accessory mount on the side of the Osmo. I did notice a problem when I used it on my brother’s canoe. I had it clamped to the metal rail around the bow. Sometimes my brother would hit the side of the canoe with the paddle and the shock wave would vibrate the gimbal a bit. I tried to get him to be more careful but he would forget. Not a fault of the gimbal. It handles regular movements very well but a direct hit would certainly shake the camera. I’ve used it walking in the woods, biking, walking backwards over uneven ground, jogging beside my daughter’s dog, all sorts of motions, all with good results.
    It annoys me a bit that it wasn’t designed to accommodate a case on the iPhone but I suppose the range of cases would be too variable. The phone needs to balance properly even when it is shut off. It can pull it into alignment even if its a bit off balance but I expect it uses more power to do so. Also, my Moment wide angle lens is too heavy. Even with counterweights it’s too much of a load.
    The other thing that is a problem with all gimbals is attaching an external mic to the iPhone for better audio for video. You go to all the trouble to make better video and you still have lousy audio. I have a Shure MV88 stereo mic specially made to plug into the Lightning port and point forward to record stereo audio for video. However, the Lightning port buts right against one of the gimbal motors and there is no way to plug anything in without upsetting the balance. I did make a tiny fur stick-on for the built in mic that helps cut wind noise quite a bit.
    Feel free to ask any questions about the Osmo and its use.
    I also have a gimbal for my GoPros and the Osmo is better.
    An issue for all gimbals is getting familiar with adjusting the calibration on the horizon to make sure it is level. It’s quite difficult on the Feiyu-tech but easy on the Osmo.

Ryn S likes this.
  6. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks, Brian, very useful information. It sounds like the Osmo will be a useful piece of kit.

You mentioned cases don't fit. Is that all cases? I have a thin one on my 7 Plus which only adds a couple of millimetres all round. I was hoping there'd be enough tolerance in the mount adjustment to take it. Is it that tight?

FundyBrian likes this.
  7. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Well, it’s something I’m interested in and if I didn’t already have one, which I like anyway, I would probably get this model :).

8. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I expect a thin case might fit. When you mount your 7 Plus you will see how the jaws are holding the phone somewhat off centre with the outboard end of the phone counterbalanced by the gimbal motor and bracket on the right side (which is adjustable for length on the Osmo). A regular sized 6 or 7 would not be so off centre. It’s more a matter of balancing the weight of the additional case material. Plus, the case will slightly change the forward-to-rear balance, for which there is no counterbalance.
    I was able to make my Moment case fit by removing one of the rubber pads in the jaws. It fits, but when I also add the wide angle lens the balance is way off. I also picked up an add-on counterweight made for the Osmo when using an anamorphic lens. It’s a two-piece thing with magnets to hold it together on the right side bracket. I need to add more weight to balance the Moment lens. But even when I get the side-to-side balance sorted out with a few coins, the front-to-rear balance is way off, too, and I don’t see any way to fix that so for now I’ve abandoned that idea.

The hand held stabilization is the mode I use most but there are additional modes if you use a tripod. Motion time lapse and 3x3 panorama are two that look interesting. I’ve tried them but just testing and not for a serious photo as yet. Also, the tracking mode for video is quite neat but so far I haven’t had a need for it.
    There is one other limiting factor with the Osmo and some other gimbals. It won’t go around 360°. This would be super handy for panoramas if you could figure some way to interface it with the Panorama Apps. Some gimbals can do the complete 360 but I don’t know what use they have made of the function.
    There are some pretty good video tutorials to watch.
    Whatever you shoot using the DJI Go app remains in in-app storage somewhere. It will try to guide you to use the silly instant action video thing which I have never found useful. To use your video & stills outside of the DJI app you need to export them to the camera roll. You can also send the video directly to a video app like LumaFusion, which is very good, by the way.
    When you shoot video using the FiLMiC Pro app it also uses its own in-app storage because it has additional higher quality formats that are good with desktop video programs but not compatible with the camera roll. However, you can export your video to the camera roll in the regular format.

Last edited: 1 December 2017
    Ryn S and richardcb like this.
  9. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks, Brian. Invaluable intelligence, as always. :thumbs:

Ryn S and FundyBrian like this.
  10. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Hi Richard
    Well, turns out I was wrong about using Moment lenses with the DJI Osmo Mobile. I had trouble with the combined side weight plus forward weight with the weight I had.
    I just saw an intro video about the new counterweight Moment has made to allow using their lenses on the Osmo. Apparently it started shipping sometime in December.
    There are 2 sizes, depending whether you have a Plus or regular sized phone. Same price $39.99.

Ryn S likes this.
  11. richardcb

Richard
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks, Brian, but it's all a bit moot at the moment with the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 coming out any minute now. Now entirely made out of plastic, with an integral battery - and a massive price cut to $129 - it might mean Moment will have to rethink their counterweight yet again.

Anyway, the Osmo Mobile 2 looks interesting and, according to reports, should be available through the Apple Store next week. Very tempting.

robertk328 and FundyBrian like this.
  12. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I had a look at the version 2 online. It says it is made of nylon. The bracket design looks the same so the counterweights should still work.

13. Ryn S

Ryn S MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Ryn S
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I got the DJI Osmo Mobile for Christmas from our youngest son. I’ve been playing with it and love it so far. I am not happy that I need to remove my protective case so I haven’t done much with it outside. I did however get it set up with focal point and such before driving home
    One night and then held it with my arm resting in the center console of the Jeep. It did a great job holding my phone steady and allowing some decent filming. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the outcome of that test :)
    I tried the tracking function while at my daughter’s house and it followed the younger twin all over the place until her sister stepped into the frame...I had to chuckle as the camera went back and forth trying to figure out who to follow and then it followed the wrong twin. So be aware the software is not twin-proof :D
    What I’m really looking forward to is the return of the buzzards this spring and seeing if I can get it to track their wonderful soaring flight patterns. So if anyone is thinking about buying one, I highly recommend it. It isn’t the only tool you ever need but it’s a good one for what it does.

ImageArt and FundyBrian like this.
  14. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Removing the case cuts down on weight for the control motors and some larger cases would upset the balance in a way that would require a counterweight to fix. However, I have found that if your case is fairly slim you can pop out one of the rubber grips from inside the jaw and see how it works with your case. If you have a bigger case forget this idea.
    Did you also get the DJI Go app? It allows some additional control functions like motion time lapse, and panorama made from 9 photos. These are tripod functions, though.
    It’s a cumbersome thing to carry around when you’re not using it.

ImageArt likes this.
  15. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    I think that’s the same for all gimbals. I have a soft over the shoulder fabric bag and I just put the whole thing plus the phone in it in between using it. I want to make either a padded bag or a padded sling before I go to Namibia. It really is awkward only having one hand.

It would be great if I had a backup phone so that I could have one for video and one for photos. I really wanted to keep my iPhone 6 once I had the broken one swapped for another but my DH needed a phone and quite understandably he would have considered my desire to have two quite unacceptable although I am sure most people here would understand!

16. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Maybe a third iPhone in a head mount. Perfectly reasonable.

ImageArt, lisamjw and RoseCat like this.
  17. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    FundyBrian likes this.
  18. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I wasn’t able to get the video to play on our satellite internet but I saw the lead photo. I’ve seen cameras put on pelicans, geese, eagles, killer whales, porpoises, and several pets. Probably lots more. Sometimes you get amazing video. Other times you get a view inside an apes mouth as it bites down on the camera.
    I’ve worn a gimbal mounted camera while mountain biking, downhill skiing. Or attached a camera to the tip of my ski, cross-country and downhill, and at the end of my ski pole. On top of a 6 metre pole. I’ve attached an iPod to a quadcopter with elastic bands. The iPhone is a bit too fragile for some of these uses but the top of Ann’s head should be safe enough.

ImageArt, lisamjw and RoseCat like this.
  19. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    :lol:

lisamjw and FundyBrian like this.
  20. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    :lol:

21. ImageArt

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Hell, I’m trying to work out how I’m going to convince the DH that it’s time for a new phone when a new iphone version comes out at the end of this year. Providing, of course, that it’s worth getting.

22. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    With a regular camera the shutter actuation count is an indication of how much life is left in it but the iPhone camera doesn’t have any moving parts, beyond the image stabilization in the lens.
    I’m wondering, too, what the next models will bring. It seems the iPhone X didn’t sell as well as hoped. How much room is there for noticeable improvements to the camera? Adding additional non-camera bells and whistles will not be the answer. A bigger sensor will be the main thing to improve image quality. Then, an actual telephoto or perhaps optical zoom. The current 2x is really a “normal” lens focal length, not a telephoto. It would take at least 100mm (equivalent) to get to a portrait lens perspective. That would make a high difference with people photos. No more distortion. The extra reach would do wonders for all sorts of scenic subjects, too. But then, the lack of an aperture to control depth of field would be a problem. Likewise, a bigger sensor would give problems with lack of depth of field in regular scenics with the 1.8 or 2.8 lenses.
    It will be interesting to see what happens.

ImageArt likes this.
  23. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Hmm. So you say that you need the new phone to keep up because everyone else has one. We'll all lie and say it's true. Then the next person up says everyone else has one, we all lie again, and you wave your new phone around. Repeat until everyone has the new phone, and then it's not a lie any more and we're all retroactively innocent.

It's not a pyramid scheme or anything, more like a Mobius strip scheme.

24. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    :lmao:

RoseCat and FundyBrian like this.
  25. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    With a DSLR you can usually get 3 to 4 year’s out of the newest model before it is replaced by the next new model. This is not to say there won’t be other new models coming out in between. Just that you get a little longer to enjoy the model you chose before the replacement cycle catches up with you.
    There were more significant changes between the iPhone 6 and 7, or especially the 7 Plus with dual lenses, that made upgrading really worthwhile. From 7 Plus to 8 Plus or even X, not so much. Among MobiTog people the decision is based much more on camera features than other bells and whistles. Maybe the next one will be more irresistible if it has the step up we had anticipated in the X.
    It really takes the wind out of your sails if you buy something new and exciting like the Osmo Mobile only to have it replaced within a year by the Osmo Mobile 2.