GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
Onsite
Project Page
In this thread the missing days (including pictures) of Dolly, Molly, Roxy and Joey in Germany will find its place, that can't be posted on the Dolly thread www.mobitog.com/threads/where-in-the-world-is-dolly.21176, because they are already in England. :) But there are some days left to post, especially Christmas (you've got to see this!), and it will happen here. So please stay tuned for the last German adventures of our little friends.

20th of December

The great sights of Höchst were on the schedule this day. A part of Frankfurt, that had its own number plates until 1980 starting with FH-… (for Frankfurt-Höchst, not to mix up with Höchst in the Forest of Odes) though it was suburbanised in 1928.
In the year 790 (yes, only three digits, no typing mistake) Höchst got a mention as "Villa Hostato", 1356 it got its town privilege and a town wall. Because of the quarrel growing about tollages the Frankfurters destroyed it already 1396, but it was rebuilt and 1863 the chemical industry started there and is still on today.
It's a lovely little town with narrow streets and old timber framed houses, all under monumental protection. It has an old and a new castle. The old one is more impressive as it looks more like a baroque fortress and has the castle square before it with buildings from the 16th to the 18th century. The traveling beasts liked it the moment they saw it.

7ccd3f0c298882976d78014e811dc5c5.jpg

In the middle of the town is a big, busy roundabout, the Dahlbergplatz (renewed 2007), crowned with the "Windsbraut" ("brideofthewind" or better said The Wind's Bride), a steel sculpture by E. R. Nele (2007, installed 2008) that turns around with the wind.
Seasons greetings in all languages were wrapped around and gave it a colourful glow. And although usually a very busy roundabout, we were able to get a car free second for our picture.

f6df375ca4f3cfdece2c11878bc064c3.jpg

Another picturesque baroque building is the Bolongaro Palast (Bolongaro Palace), erected 1772–1774 from the Bolongaro brothers. Since 1908 until the suburbanising 1928 it was used as the town hall and since as borough administration with the registry office in the western pavilion.
Molly preferred the warmth of some sandstone boobs to warm up, because it was so cold that my phone shut off before I could take this picture. Applying to the power bank solved the problem.

87619eba0bfe5e846ff08ffa29fe45a4.jpg

Soon it was time to meet up with my friend at the "Wunderbar", Dolly always said Wun-baa-baa, and it's not only a bar, it's also café, restaurant and gallery. This time filled with pictures of an artist that paints Lucky Luke like pictures but with a twist to recent news.

059b51a13180821e9454583367d4024b.jpg

After dinner we went around the corner to the Neues Theater (new theatre), a great place to see comedy, cabaret and concerts. Today the Science Busters (three Austrians) were there to present their program "Bierstern" (beer star – sinnerjohn John would love it), with physical, chemical, biological, historical facts presented in a kind of show.

da6fab946855e0c33435dfc9ff78e2a2.jpg

The girls wanted to take over, but the couldn't find a microphone and gave up/in. [emoji1]

156ece94717a2d1ab4f5ac41f213e144.jpg

The show had its moments, some funny, some interesting, some surprising, but the nearly three hours could have been well fit into just one. [emoji4]

21st of December

Had a nice lunch at the Japanese Restaurant (chain) MoschMosch and enjoyed it so much that I forgot talking more photos. While the girls nibbled on my veggies I was talking with my colleague who joined us.

99b96efd3cbe675c78acdd4d15a19e75.jpg

When home the first thing we did was moving the Christmas tree. When I put up their bed it had a falling tendency. Or when we played cards. So we moved it under the big picture to the back wall and were satisfied.

0eb8087b5ac29b61c385d94f5c874e1b.jpg

Then we got the big table in, the small one was complained by the girls. Not enough space for cards AND drinks. And even more when you can't hold your cards and also need a clam. So we rather took the big one and had enough space for everyone and everything. On the picture: Dolly has just found her missing picture heart and sent Roxy and Joey to swim.

ca409a0a46bbe5a2b9c95265b1dbbb67.jpg

Two rounds later (Roxy send me to swim the round before), Molly had a lucky moment as she was presented with a complete 31, we didn't even reveal the middle cards. Roxy and Joey were safe (but look at their highly doubting faces!), they had an unbelievable 30 1/2 straight on their paws and Dolly had a great 25. So I drowned with just 10.
Winner of the game was finally Molly who first let drown Roxy and her boy and at last Dolly though she still had two sticks when I was out. Molly just had the luckier hooves.

d0d7ea184e5d21fa964b1a4b4fc7d47b.jpg

Last edited:
21st of December

Had a nice lunch at the Japanese Restaurant (chain) MoschMosch and enjoyed it so much that I forgot talking more photos. While the girls nibbled on my veggies I was talking with my colleague who joined us.

When home the first thing we did was moving the Christmas tree. When I put up their bed it had a falling tendency. Or when we played cards. So we moved it under the big picture to the back wall and were satisfied.

Then we got the big table in, the small one was complained by the girls. Not enough space for cards AND drinks. And even more when you can't hold your cards and also need a clam. So we rather took the big one and had enough space for everyone and everything. On the picture: Dolly has just found her missing picture heart and sent Roxy and Joey to swim.

Two rounds later (Roxy send me to swim the round before), Molly had a lucky moment as she was presented with a complete 31, we didn't even reveal the middle cards. Roxy and Joey were safe (but look at their highly doubting faces!), they had an unbelievable 30 1/2 straight on their paws and Dolly had a great 25. So I drowned with just 10.
Winner of the game was finally Molly who first let drown Roxy and her boy and at last Dolly though she still had two sticks when I was out. Molly just had the luckier hooves.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

21st of December

OMG.... BRILLIANT. And hysterical!! [emoji23][emoji1376][emoji1360][emoji178][emoji23]

22nd of December

Time for some art. We went to the MMK1, the Museum für Moderne Kunst 1 ( museum of modern art 1). We have 3 here and they are connected by name.
We left the tube at the Konstabler Wache and found a really great mural showing places in Frankfurt and Lyon. We found out that is there since more than 6 years and I've never bumped into it, because I so often take a car for a quick popping into the city, because even the park house is cheaper for an hour or two than the tube. But over two hours better take tube, bus or tram. Anyway: "TIME TRAVEL" is a wall painting representing the 50-year friendship of the partner cities of Lyon and Frankfurt am Main. Like a trip through space and time, the artwork links, as quick as a wink, the banks of the Rhône with those of the Main. The setting of the journey is the virtual U-Bahn (tube). The project was carried out by German and French artists. For the birthday celebrations on 11 June 2010, the artwork was presented to the public by the mayor of the city of Lyon, Gerard Collomb in the presence of the mayors of the partner cities.
This is just a short part of it, showing the main station and a space traveler:

image.jpeg

The MMK1 is a wonderful building, built like a cake slice. On the inside it is not bigger, but full of surprising angles, walls, steps …
We arrived when it was still daylight which was nice to picture the facade.

fadd4ce8bbc00b7ddb1c8f28515a7af4.jpg

Main exhibition was "Geography Of Time" by Fiona Tan, …

fffd40231b0995ff66abebeec7d187c5.jpg

… who presented loads of video installations embedded in different interiors, most like a cheap cinema with chairs and a canvas, some real looking rooms with a screen (Ghost Dwellings I–III) or "1 to 87" which opens the exhibition and stands for the scale of H0 trains which rides through the environment. She put the landscape together with lots of details and even added a drive-in cinema, which Dolly, Molly, Roxy and Joey really liked.

4a439c83674daf8b7636fd6d42ce4e09.jpg

Within the Ghost Dwelling (II in the picture) rooms you could even take a seat and enjoy her films (or not).

be345897403f6dfb30c99825045fd23e.jpg

As I said at the beginning the MMK1-building is (in my eyes) far more interesting than its content. Just look at this: no just 90° corners, not even at entrances that look average at first sight. And yes, we shot from above. [emoji4]

fbf512c22edfd4a870f3bbd624db9da1.jpg

Okay, this is art: Replica Tables (2014) by Shane Munro. And I still wonder if the plates are part of it, because in the short description were only mentioned: plexiglas, brass, rubber. [emoji15] maybe it's another piece of art placed on this piece of art. [emoji848]

image.jpeg

Next two are from William Forsythe (I didn't know when I picked them, thought it's different artists [emoji15]), who became famous (at least here) with his ballet dancers.
With "Towards The Diagnostic Gaze" (2013) he asks for holding that feather duster still. Very cheeky. Thing is I'm not sure anyone any when ever lifted this thing. There is this invitation set in stone, but I didn't dare to lift it nor even put the girls down. [emoji33] I was convinced there would be an alert set off.

80570f274add840de34ba0d276a91a38.jpg

Alike was the feeling in this room full of pendulums and the advice given was "go through without touching the strings". Little motors kept the pendulums swinging and changed directions. Interesting to watch, again a big dare to step between the strings and no one except dancers (skinny and boobsless) or maybe Bond, James Bond, may walk through without collisions. Last mentioned one only if bombs would blast at contact. [emoji1] DMRJ might have been able to, but they were frightened to be pushed away by the pendulums. And look at the people on the other side! They also squeezed together at the safe part of the room.

d44178abd8e1b35e8926b467d75ce033.jpg

I forgot to read the sign nor did I snap it nor could I find it on the website, so if you know the artist, let me know. Seems I have to go there again to find out. The Dolly herd loved it for being a colourful abstract abstract. And we even found the one or other face. Oh, what fun! [emoji23][emoji106]

072564ae9986be79ce91e33a29ab0b39.jpg

Roxy and Joey were a little disappointed, nowhere in the museum was anything especially for them, but Dolly and Molly even got their own "Autobahn"-picture by Thomas Bayrle called "DM, Pappmodell mit Autos" (DM, cardboard model with cars).

52920c80f0d57a304bedbdde2f42886b.jpg

At last another exhibit I don't know artist or name, but it felt like a Muppet Show, the puppets had a decent size, the girls were tempted to also take a seat, but I could just prevent it. At least it looks funny. [emoji1]

a77f1cd35c76d4bf03d8e3c99d2018e5.jpg

All pictures 6s+ native, most snapseeded, "abstract" and "DM" also through SRWT and all polaroidFXed.

Last edited:
23rd of December

More modern art for DMRJ at the MMK2.

IMG_5992.JPG

The museum is far smaller than the MMK1. Here you just have to walk one floor located on the third.
Just one exhibition but over the complete big level: "Entitled" by Willem de Rooij, an artist with Dutch roots and since 2006 professor for free art at the Städel art school.
Soon as the lift doors opened their was a wonderful smell! And the guardian told us the white bouquet just arrived two hours ago. So we knew right away the flowers in this exhibition were real and no fake.
The interesting part: The flower bouquets are really art pieces, though "alive". The museum (or collector) buys more the formulae for it, with detailed instructions, how many flowers of what kind and how to arrange. So they can be replaced every couple of days/weeks, has the same content but still looks very slightly different with each new one as the florist also put a little of his art to it. And if not on display it doesn't take much space, just a few pages, and can be stored everywhere.

IMG_5991.JPG

The Dummies wear sportswear by Fong Leng and de Rooji collected them and arranged the dummies to get in "communication" with the room, the view outside or with one another or the beholder. At this spot it might have been even nicer if you could see the park outside as well, but it was dark already.

IMG_5993.JPG

Here it looks even a bit forlorn, but still even the white walls fill the scene to kind of one big painting with sparsely added colours.

IMG_5994.JPG

All pictures 6s+ native, snapseeded, last two SKWRT and all polaroidFXed.

24th of December – Holy Night/Christmas

We got ready for late lunch at my parents to spent the rest of the day with them.
When the herd was up and bed be folded away, they discovered that Santa had delivered already.

image.jpeg

But the gifts were not to open yet, it's the tradition to do that in the late evening or night. The shops close at 2pm and if you don't have your gifts now you'll have to wait for the 27th, because over Christmas everything is closed – apart from gas stations and some emergency pharmacies.
Religious people attend a midnight mass (and some open the gifts before), if there is one, nowadays hard to find or a mass in the late evening and many have their dinner afterwards. And again most of them have "arme Leute Essen" (poor people's food), like Bratwurst and potatoes or chips. My family has invented their own tradition, we have potato salad and lamb's lettuce (not for the ewes, just because we love it :)) with randomly changing somethings with it. Sometimes eggs or baked Camembert or this year fish fingers. And because for quite some years none of us likes it to go to bed with a full tummy we have late lunch around 1.30/2pm. I belong to the lucky people that don't have to work on the 24th.
When we passed the fountain I've posted on different threads over the years, we saw the Christmas tree seller packing. If you have no tree now, it's too late. :)

image.jpeg

At my parents we dressed up the girls for Christmas. Aren't they pretty in pink? :)

image.jpeg

Next they had a look at my mom's crib. She always says putting is up is her greatest joy. Like back then when she played with a doll's house. :D and she's so creative and does it differently every year. This year she built the landscape with a green table cloth and the details with dry moss.
One of the lambs there adopted Dolly right away.

image.jpeg

We got home around half 11 pm and I felt a little sorry for the four that they had to wait so long, but now it was on them to unwrap the gifts. And they did. :)

image.gif

Remember the Teddy Paradise a couple of days before? It was there, where they have chosen what they wish for. Dolly and Molly just liked to have a cuddly bear, while Roxy and Joey agreed, they rather have one of chocolate as Roxy carries her cuddly boy with her all the time and Joey said there is not enough room in the pouch. They nibbled on the bear right away. So thye all were happy. The last gift had been left unopened, because this one they picked especially for RoseCat and they will carry it home.
So it was already Christmas Day when we all went to bed.

image.jpeg

(All native 6s+, Snapseed, PolaroidFX.)

Last edited:
24th of December – Holy Night/Christmas

We got ready for late lunch at my parents to spent the rest of the day with them.
When the herd was up and bed be folded away, they discovered that Santa had delivered already.

View attachment 87095

But the gifts were not to open yet, it's the tradition to do that in the late evening or night. The shops close at 2pm and if you don't have your gifts now you'll have to wait for the 27th, because over Christmas everything is closed – apart from gas stations and some emergency pharmacies.
Religious people attend a midnight mass (and some open the gifts before), if there is one, nowadays hard to find or a mass in the late evening and many have their dinner afterwards. And again most of them have "arme Leute Essen" (poor people's food), like Bratwurst and potatoes or chips. My family has invented their own tradition, we have potato salad and lamb's lettuce (not for the ewes, just because we love it :)) with randomly changing somethings with it. Sometimes eggs or baked Camembert or this year fish fingers. And because for quite some years none of us likes it to go to bed with a full tummy we have late lunch around 1.30/2pm. I belong to the lucky people that don't have to work on the 24th.
When we passed the fountain I've posted on different threads over the years, we saw the Christmas tree seller packing. If you have no tree now, it's too late. :)

View attachment 87096

At my parents we dressed up the girls for Christmas. Aren't they pretty in pink? :)

View attachment 87100

Next they had a look at my mom's crib. She always says putting is up is her greatest joy. Like back then when she played with a doll's house. :D and she's so creative and does it differently every year. This year she built the landscape with a green table cloth and the details with dry moss.
One of the lambs there adopted Dolly right away.

View attachment 87101

We got home around half 11 pm and I felt a little sorry for the four that they had to wait so long, but now it was on them to unwrap the gifts. And they did. :)

View attachment 87104

Remember the Teddy Paradise a couple of days before? It was there, where they have chosen what they wish for. Dolly and Molly just liked to have a cuddly bear, while Roxy and Joey agreed, they rather have one of chocolate as Roxy carries her cuddly boy with her all the time and Joey said there is not enough room in the pouch. They nibbled on the bear right away. So thye all were happy. The last gift had been left unopened, because this one they picked especially for RoseCat and they will carry it home.
So it was already Christmas Day when we all went to bed.

View attachment 87102

(All native 6s+, Snapseed, PolaroidFX.)
These are amazing!! The opening of the gifts!!!! :notworthy: :inlove: I have no words.... that is just WAY COOL Gouvy!! :D :D :D

These are amazing!! The opening of the gifts!!!! :notworthy: :inlove: I have no words.... that is just WAY COOL Gouvy!! :D :D :D

Thank you. That's what we've learned at the children's museum. It took 48 single shots to built this gif. It's rough (otherwise it would have been too long and too fat to post), the tripod dipped twice, but it looks so funny and everyone gets the idea. [emoji1]

Thank you. That's what we've learned at the children's museum. It took 48 single shots to built this gif. It's rough (otherwise it would have been too long and too fat to post), the tripod dipped twice, but it looks so funny and everyone gets the idea. [emoji1]

[emoji144]‍♀️[emoji144]‍♀️[emoji144]‍♀️
Impressive, my dear. [emoji146]

25th of December
A wonderful relaxed day for all of us. No duties, no meetings, just a day to relax and sleep long.

IMG_6265.JPG

After breakfast, which was around noon, we set off for a walk, a graffiti walk in my area. First ear found was the dark side of the moon. [emoji4]

IMG_6266.JPG

At the old factory building where the "Dramatic Stage" is now located we admired the sprayed "stain glass windows" with all their colours.

IMG_6267.JPG

In the back yard we found a ladybird. I'm not sure if it's a symbol of luck in your country, but it is here in Germany, like the four leaf clover. But it's too early for ladybirds, and this one was nearly as big as Dolly – and it was of chocolate wrapped in tin foil and glued to a paper leaf. [emoji1]

IMG_6268.JPG

We left it in case someone searches for it, an rather beheld the green picture inside the yard and thought Venomator would love it. [emoji16] while the "Windows" seemed to be painted by three different artist with the same colours, the green graffiti was only done by "The Ghost Of Frankfurt".

IMG_6269.JPG

Some minutes away we found a poem for everyone and it says:
Over and over again
Will those, who love the life
And fantasy, revolt
In their dreams and doings.
Amen

IMG_6270.JPG

The next is the Tibet House Germany, it's the plain white building, even the Dalai Lama visited it already. Twice as far as I know. But the house to the left has a house painted on and looks so real!

IMG_6271.JPG

At the end of our walk that led through the Von Bernus Park again (we've been to before), we found nature's beautiful painting in form of the beginning sunset. It would have shown better if I'd taken the picture with FusionHDR, but you'll get the idea. [emoji4]

IMG_6272.JPG

All 6s+ native, Snapseed, PolaroidFX.

26th of December – 2nd Christmas Day (think this is what the English call Boxing Day. Same in America? Canada?)
Again we slept longer than during working days and took our time to get ready to go.

image.jpeg

And soon we passed the fountain on the way to my parents. Time to lose some words of history about it.
In 1895 Bockenheim lost its independence and became a Frankfurt district. To commemorate this, 18 years later Bockenheimer citizens, with the support of the municipal art fund, collected for a monumental well on the Kurfürstenplatz (Elector's Square), which had been designed according to the design of H. Siesmayer in Baroque style in 1868. The fountain of red Main (the river Main is meant here) sand stone was inaugurated on 23rd May 1914. The design comes from the architect C. Lennartz, the stone masonry work was carried out by Franz Zeller. A 10-meter-high obelisk grows from the cube-based well bowl. The water flows into a 10 meter wide oval basin surrounded by a balustrade.

IMG_6274.JPG

In the transverse axis of the basin there are two sculpture groups each sitting on a pedestal: On
the left side a Centaur and a childish blacksmith symbolising the future and industrial progress …

IMG_6275.JPG

… on the right a ram and two cherubs symbolizing 1000 year old rural life.

IMG_6276.JPG

After arriving at my parents, we helped my mum cooking …

IMG_6278.JPG

… and afterwards played hide and seek on the balcony.

image.jpeg

When it was time to go home, the travelers had another look at the manger and saw that the Three Magi got closer …

IMG_6280.JPG

… and we stopped once more at the fountain, because the sheep seemed to fall a little in love with the ram.

IMG_6277.JPG

All 6s+, some Snapseed, all PolaroidFX

Last edited:
27th of December

Experimenting and learning was today's program at the "ExperiMINTa". The Mint stands not for the flavour but for the sciences you can try to understand by trying and watching: Mathematik (= Mathematic) , Informatik (= computer sciences), Naturwissenschaften (= natural sciences) and Technik (= engineering). Especially a great place for children and finding out how clever they are.

IMG_6499.JPG

Physics: How light breaks through a glass ball and it looked like something between hilarious and art (wonder how they saw me. Like purple blob? [emoji23])

IMG_6500.JPG

Same ball on differently bent tracks. Watch where it is faster. – It didn't matter, it was always too quick to catch it sharp.

IMG_6502.JPG

Dolly, Molly, Roxy and Joey behind the mirrors. Or before? Or inside? Anyway the were excited that their herd grew to 16 in no time. [emoji4]

Snapseed.jpg

Really vintage gambling machines were there, too. And we even won! But you don't have to put in a coin so you don't get some our. But it was the smallest win possible. [emoji23]

IMG_6505.JPG

Different engines were showed and explained, the girls liked the compact display of the two-stroke engine.

IMG_6506.JPG

Very interesting but quickly forgotten if not practised: how to count binary with your fingers. Works if you have enough, but not with paws and hooves …

IMG_6507.JPG

No psychiatric meeting just an example how light and shadow can fool you. Here is a positive face of Sigmund Freud.

IMG_6509.JPG

And here the inverted version that seems to turn with you when moving. You can't see this effect on a still picture, that's why I put a gif up.

image.gif

Last has some more colour, the girls built a ball out of hexagons and tried to roll around with it, running from inside to outside and vice versa. … sorry, no gif.

IMG_6510.JPG

All 6s+, Snapseed, PolaroidFX.

Last edited:
28th of December

Been to the NWZ shopping mall where we found the Christmas decoration was still there unchanged. For political correctness they didn't do much with Christmas trees or Santa with pixie helpers everywhere like some years ago. Some small spots were filled with little fake trees and wrapped boxes, but the main parts were Inuit or Eskimos with polar bears on fake ice out of styrofoam and fabric. But it looked kind of nice.

IMG_7092.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

But all those lights made it Christmassy any ways no matter what confession or atheist … and look: the message is in English, what Dolly, Molly, Roxy and Joey made feel home. [emoji1]

IMG_7094.JPG

The roast chestnuts were still on offer and came off a locomotive that will remind all (or most) Germans at my age to the puppets on strings of Augsburg. When we were little they had a tale on tele of "Jim Knopf und Lukas, der Lokomotivführer" (Jim Button and Luke, The Engine Driver by Michael Ende). I loved that program and still do, and meanwhile I have most of their programs on DVD (and they turned many wonderful children's books into cult). [emoji4] So we watched that later at home. [emoji577] [emoji106]

IMG_7095.JPG

They even had some carousels and here a small Ferris wheel.

IMG_7096.JPG

And off we went home to watch Jim and Luke and their locomotive Emma. [emoji577][emoji1]

29th of December

We could leave the office earlier and had no lunch so far. So when we took a walk we were all getting hungry and had a late lunch or early supper at the Extrablatt cafe and restaurant.

Snapseed.jpg

Coffee came first and we all were happy to get something warm. – Except for Joey who rather paid his attention to the tasty cookie.

IMG_7098.JPG

But when the salad arrived all the sweet little creatures enjoyed the colours and greens. And their munching noise sounded like a song.

30th of December

I had to fill up the car and on our way lies the small river Nidda where you can walk yourself or your dog on both sides and it is really nice there. Some greens and fields around, trees and the water. Quite an idyllic spot.
So we parked the car under the railway bridge (actually only tubes are on those tracks) and found another Ghost of Frankfurt graffiti.

IMG_7100.JPG

We went on the footbridge to the other side but stopped and watched the ducks to the left swimming in the warm light of the sunset.

IMG_7101.JPG

A few steps further on the right there were even more ducks and the sunset reflected on the water like there was another one. But the sun was definitely on this side.

IMG_7102.JPG

We went in the direction the sun was after we've crossed the bridge. It was bitter cold and the wind didn't make it warmer, but the view with the thin layer of snow, the water of the Nidda, trees, bushes and sunset made a very picturesque image.

IMG_7103.JPG

Tomorrow we will go to the Zoo to make the last day of the year a memory that will last days if not years. Stay tuned, the end is near. [emoji4]

27th of December

Experimenting and learning was today's program at the "ExperiMINTa". The Mint stands not for the flavour but for the sciences you can try to understand by trying and watching: Mathematik (= Mathematic) , Informatik (= computer sciences), Naturwissenschaften (= natural sciences) and Technik (= engineering). Especially a great place for children and finding out how clever they are.

View attachment 87381

Physics: How light breaks through a glass ball and it looked like something between hilarious and art (wonder how they saw me. Like purple blob? [emoji23])

View attachment 87382

Same ball on differently bent tracks. Watch where it is faster. – It didn't matter, it was always too quick to catch it sharp.

View attachment 87383

Dolly, Molly, Roxy and Joey behind the mirrors. Or before? Or inside? Anyway the were excited that their herd grew to 16 in no time. [emoji4]

View attachment 87384

Really vintage gambling machines were there, too. And we even won! But you don't have to put in a coin so you don't get some our. But it was the smallest win possible. [emoji23]

View attachment 87385

Different engines were showed and explained, the girls liked the compact display of the two-stroke engine.

View attachment 87386

Very interesting but quickly forgotten if not practised: how to count binary with your fingers. Works if you have enough, but not with paws and hooves …

View attachment 87387

No psychiatric meeting just an example how light and shadow can fool you. Here is a positive face of Sigmund Freud.

View attachment 87388

And here the inverted version that seems to turn with you when moving. You can't see this effect on a still picture, that's why I put a gif up.

View attachment 87390

Last has some more colour, the girls built a ball out of hexagons and tried to roll around with it, running from inside to outside and vice versa. … sorry, no gif.

View attachment 87389

All 6s+, Snapseed, PolaroidFX.
And here I thought people were flipping me the bird :) not throwing 4's at me:)
Love all the images and bits of insight and even some history!

And I had to flip through the dictionary to understand what you were saying! And hey, I've learned a new phrase! And maybe I'll keep it in mind, because it's such a cool one! And I've just learned that gesture is older, FAR older than I ever thought. It comes from 1860's expression of "give the big bird", but its origins are further way back, even before the Romans, to unbelievable 423 b. C. when it was (earliest recorded) in a play ("the clouds") by Aristophanes. Scientists are considering it may be even used in prehistorical times. Bummer! Is it! [emoji50]

31st of December – part 1

The last day of the year and the last day take Dolly and friends out. I thought the Zoo would be an nice adventure. We took the tube and were welcomed by the very nicely designed underground station.

IMG_7210.JPG

One level higher, at the "entrance hall" of the tube station, they had wonderful painted pictures of animals everywhere. Roxy was very excited to find relatives. (Unfortunately the only Kangaroos we saw during our whole time together, and the real ones weren't outside that day because it was really cold and they preferred the warmth of the house.)

IMG_7211.JPG

Another level higher and we were at the entrance and through the gates. It all started with the spectacled bears. There was only one out in the cold and not only too far away to take a picture, it also curled up in a corner and I'd bet it's a stone if it wouldn't have moved that moment, sniffed with its nose and curled back to stone. But there was an alternative opportunity.

IMG_7212.JPG

Doesn't it look real, at least for a moment? [emoji4] We walked on and found the lion's pen. The DMRJ liked to see him from a little farther, keep in mind, half of the group are sheep …

IMG_7214.JPG

While they felt safe behind the glass there was no need to worry as the lioness slept. Looked like she prefers the warmth inside the house.

IMG_7215.JPG

On the other end of the lion house we saw another big cat though it was much smaller than a lion, which is called fossa. Such a beautiful feline. Curled up on the floor just a step away from the glass wall. And it has a very long tail that nearly wrapped the complete cat.

IMG_7216.JPG

The giraffe house was filled with giraffes as they were not allowed to go outside. It was too dangerous that spots of their pen might be frozen underneath and if they startle (especially thought of those people that can't wait till tonight to blow up their firecrackers) the gentle beasts could go berserk, stumble and break their legs (remember they are flight animals). The keeper I talked to and asked what they do when the firework is everywhere around, told me they keep all in the house and for flight animals they'll leave the lights on. He said the worst for them are not the cracking sounds and explosions, it's far more the flashes they don't know what or where they come from and that might turn them to flee. Keeping the light on reduces the light flashes and keeps the calm. For the loads of iron rods I couldn't take a good picture until the Dolly bunch found a nice place to play and the real one makes a nice backdrop. The big eyes with that long and full eyelashes makes them irresistible.

IMG_7217.JPG

The underwaterly picture with the four travellers at emperor penguins I've posted on time stamp, but there was another place with the feeling to be under the sea: at the seals. And as usual they fooled around in high speed. No way for a sharp picture, but for a nice one with motion.

IMG_7218.JPG

We went into the rhino house to warm up and it took a while until my reading glasses defogged. The rhino lady just enjoyed her lunch and was very busy chewing and had her head down all the time. When I could see clearer I could let go of the four friends and they settled down on the low wall before Tosororo. And soon as I was ready to shoot the big girl looked up and showed us her whole head.

IMG_7219.JPG

Just to show that it was blinking cold that day. The wood lion asleep and powdered with snow and awake little beasts on top.

IMG_7221.JPG

When we've been at the meerkat colony I could take a lot of just too cute pictures. And just because of the cuteness I have to, no, I actually MUST post at least two:

The first impact

IMG_7222.JPG

And then every single one of the five sweeties seemed to say:

IMG_7223.JPG

At the Exotarium we had a look at the fish and reptiles and … Roxy again showed her knowledge of Australian fauna and told them more about the big lungfish. Though we waited quite a while it didn't turn to us for a better image.

IMG_7224.JPG

And what could be better to end a story with a unicorn? Though it's not a very common one but still hilarious. Hope you enjoyed the tiny walk round the zoo as much as us. We were tired enough to oversleep New Year's Eve.

IMG_7226.JPG

All naive 6s+, Snapseed, PolaroidFX.

1st of January 2017

But somehow we were so wind up and wired that we didn't fall asleep before we saw the new year arriving and the fireworks around us. Dolly, Molly, Roxy, Joey and me shared a glass of champagne watched the colours pop in the night sky and then the gunpowder smelling fog.

IMG_7230.JPG

And off we went to bed.
After some peaceful hours of sleep we had breakfast and then the FFTs, the Four Famous Travellers had to pack their stuff.

IMG_7228.JPG

And soon they were packed themselves. Tomorrow they'll be sent off to my favourite island of hope and glory. Where they had more exciting adventures with JillyG. [emoji106][emoji112][emoji177]
Bon voyage!

IMG_7229.JPG

(1st pic Hiostamatic, 2nd and 3rd native cam and Snapseed, all PolaroidFX)

Just loved browsing through this thread and catching up... you go to do many interesting museums and art shows... loved the images from the modern art museum (my fave genre, even though some things can be so...... :alien: Like the red circle on a white canvas kind of thing.) The science museum looked fun too...

:lol: I thought the same!

How cute is that meerkat looking at our little motley crew?? :inlove: :)

Back
Top Bottom