MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
This is SO ANNOYING to me: When I edit an image inside the iPhone’s Photos folder, Dropbox only uploads the original, unedited version.

:angry:

This is SO ANNOYING to me: When I edit an image inside the iPhone’s Photos folder, Dropbox only uploads the original, unedited version.

:angry:
Annoying isn’t the word! I was wondering if it was a Setttings thing, but I can’t see a slider that might eliminate the problem.

I had that with Handi Photo. I cropped out a few wires in Retouch, but when I went to Handi photo, it was the original. I finally put the Retoched photo into Snapseed, and just “saved a copy” without editing any further. Then I used the copy in Handiphoto. Pain for the extra step, but maybe that will work.

Annoying isn’t the word! I was wondering if it was a Setttings thing, but I can’t see a slider that might eliminate the problem.
They need to fix it! I pay for this service and this is an unacceptable annoyance. Gggggrrrr.

I had that with Handi Photo. I cropped out a few wires in Retouch, but when I went to Handi photo, it was the original. I finally put the Retoched photo into Snapseed, and just “saved a copy” without editing any further. Then I used the copy in Handiphoto. Pain for the extra step, but maybe that will work.
I’d have to edit the image in another app and then save a new copy. The edit was made in the iPhone camera roll - sometimes I just want to make a quick and easy tweak. Unfortunately there’s no way to “save a copy” in Photos.

I poked around in the Dropbox web site help section. Here's the closest thing I found to an answer:

What happened to the edits I made to photos on my iPhone or iPad?
Edits or filters that you apply to a photo on your iOS device are stored in the metadata included with the photo. The raw photo, which includes the metadata, is then uploaded to the Dropbox servers. However, if you attempt to view the photo using an app or software that can't interpret the new metadata, the original photo (without modifications) will be shown instead.

When uploading, the Dropbox application is given a thumbnail of your photo with the modification applied, so you may see the edited thumbnail of your photo during the automatic Camera Upload process, or in your Photos tab for manual uploads.

Your photo edits have not been deleted, and will be viewable on devices with software that can read the metadata.​

According to this, if you downloaded the Dropbox-ed photo and viewed it in Photos on your Mac or iPhone or iPad, you would see the edited version. Does that work?

I poked around in the Dropbox web site help section. Here's the closest thing I found to an answer:

What happened to the edits I made to photos on my iPhone or iPad?
Edits or filters that you apply to a photo on your iOS device are stored in the metadata included with the photo. The raw photo, which includes the metadata, is then uploaded to the Dropbox servers. However, if you attempt to view the photo using an app or software that can't interpret the new metadata, the original photo (without modifications) will be shown instead.

When uploading, the Dropbox application is given a thumbnail of your photo with the modification applied, so you may see the edited thumbnail of your photo during the automatic Camera Upload process, or in your Photos tab for manual uploads.

Your photo edits have not been deleted, and will be viewable on devices with software that can read the metadata.​

According to this, if you downloaded the Dropbox-ed photo and viewed it in Photos on your Mac or iPhone or iPad, you would see the edited version. Does that work?
I exported an image from Dropbox to my iPhone that I had converted to B&W in my photos folder, but it uploaded to Dropbox as the original color version. The exported image saved as the original color version.... so I guess their *excuse* is false. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom