Eclipse & Your Phones Camera

West End Girl

MobiPassionista
Real Name
Laura
Device
So, what do you think? Would this work? Any harm to your phone and/or its camera?

IMG_3885.JPG

So, what do you think? Would this work? Any harm to your phone and/or its camera?

View attachment 98042
I would suggest not Laura!

You really should not attempt to view or take photographs of the eclipse without a proper solar filter.

You risk damaging your retina and it is likely to be harmful to your camera’s sensor (at least) to expose it to the sun, for any length of time, without the proper filter... :whistle:

Take care whichever way you choose to view it and please stay safe... :rog:

I would suggest not Laura!

You really should not attempt to view or take photographs of the eclipse without a proper solar filter.

You risk damaging your retina and it is likely to be harmful to your camera’s sensor (at least) to expose it to the sun, for any length of time, without the proper filter... :whistle:

Take care whichever way you choose to view it and please stay safe... :rog:
Bummer! I was hoping this would work. :( But I'm not in the path of totality so not sure what I'll be seeing anyway.

I did see a post that Apple said the IPhone would not be damaged by the eclipse/sun.
But better safe than sorry about looking at it via the phone. Bummer is right...this would have been perfect
I did read that once the moon completely covers the sun you can look at it... but only during that time.

I found this on Snopes.com.

"The same is true of ordinary camera filters, old X-rays, mobile phone camera lenses, and smoked glass; viewing the eclipse through them will offer no protection to your eyes, although you can take photographs of the eclipse with a camera or a cell phone — with a proper filter attached. You can also view the eclipse through your phone’s “selfie” mode so that you can watch it on your screen. That will spare your eyes, but be sure to make certain it won’t burn your phone’s photoreceptors; for example, Apple says iPhones and iPads are safe to point at the sun because the lens is so wide, meaning that the full force of the light the sun emits is relatively dim, but if you use a telephoto clip-on lens or something else to magnify the sun and its light, a filter is probably a good idea."

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

We did the Pinhole In A Box thing and it worked well. I took pictures with my phone but made sure not to look directly at the phone or sun while snapping. There were many pictures that didn't even show the sun! LOL
What was most interesting was the sun was always bright and round in the photos...no dark moon covering it. Though there was always a 'reflection' that appeared in the pix and showed the eclipse. Strange.

View attachment 98097

View attachment 98098

View attachment 98099

We did the Pinhole In A Box thing and it worked well. I took pictures with my phone but made sure not to look directly at the phone or sun while snapping. There were many pictures that didn't even show the sun! LOL
What was most interesting was the sun was always bright and round in the photos...no dark moon covering it. Though there was always a 'reflection' that appeared in the pix and showed the eclipse. Strange.
Interesting!

I tried to do the "link fingers and sun will shine through" at a window at work, but the eclipse was in an odd spot and it didn't work. I watched it live online though. Amazing.

View attachment 98097

View attachment 98098

View attachment 98099

You must have had a similar view as I did. My experience ( and photos) are about the same as you. I also tried the pinhole viewer and took a selfie. The light was very weird for a few hours, but nothing huge. It was wonderful watching the trail of totality on TV. I'm hoping it inspires some of youngsters who were able to experience it to get into science.

We had a 94% I think. It was noticeably darker...kind of like a storm was coming. My cousin drove to an area for 100% totality and he did a video. The cicadas got really loud and the street lights all turned on. Very cool!

I barely noticed a change in the light... was hoping it would get darkish, but I guess at around just 72% totality it wasn't enough to really block the light. Getting totally dark must have been amazing.
We had 73%, but we were so fogged in you couldn't even see where the sun was, much less see the eclipse. But it didn't matter anyway because I was at the dentist. :lmao:

Karen did the pinhole thing and it worked pretty good.
I tried taking a couple pictures but couldn't see a lot, like some posted here a bit more in the lens flare that showed it better. In the end I watched part of NASA's live feed. Here we had around 70% coverage and it was dimmer out then normal. A few clouds but pretty good. Didn't have the filters or glasses but with the camera I tried sunglass's lens and it helped a bit but a lot more flare than without.
I like all the idiot flat earthers claiming that this proves the earth is flat... Some vids on youtube if you want a good laugh...

Back
Top Bottom