• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the still current serious situation facing us all right now! Continue to heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Edit This Edit This! #4 @groovygouvy

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
We will invite members to edit one of our images. Images will be available for one week. We'll take four names at a time (see list here).

People offering an image will give some guidance/make some specific(ish) requests, e.g:
  • I'd like to see this image *pop* more
  • Not sure of the best crop
  • Any iColorama [or other app] suggestions?
  • How would you make this image into a mono?
  • How would you make it an abstract?
  • I seem to have lost the detail of the building/tree/people - can you bring it back without losing the fog?
  • How would you make the most of this mistake I made?
  • Only straight processing, please - nothing 'arty'
  • Knock yourself out - surprise me!
  • And so on

Roolz for contributing editors:
  1. Please respect requests (and the image) of the person offering. I.e: Don't offer a Decim8'd abstract if s/he has asked for 'straight processing only'. And vv. Don't add anything to the image that the original maker wouldn't be able to add her/himself: i.e., nothing from your own camera roll.
  2. Please provide a brief summary of and rationale for your editing processes (this is a group learning process. For the same reason, please offer just one or two edits - three if there's some profoundly educational point to be made.

Roolz for people offering images:
  1. Please be clear about what you'd like to see from others' expertises (see example q's above).
  2. Please acknowledge and comment briefly on each edit offered -- and offer a little wrap-up at the end of the week. Anything that struck you about a particular edit of your image? Something you've learned? An app you simply must purchase & learn? However you wrap up is up to you: but we'll all be holding our breath to hear what you think.

Please browse the thoughtful feedback and comments from our beta testers here
See the beta tests #1 #2 #3 and #4 for examples of previous questions and offered edits

Mobi Challenge guidelines are here

#4 offering is from GroovyGouvy

IMG_0702.JPG

(#3 FundyBrian image still available for edits till Monday, here ).

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Important note from the editor

Dear all, I'm off to do my best Hermione girlie-swot blue-stocking impersonation: to focus, to concentrate, to be diligent and studious and disciplined -- to write up a thesis that will have my examiners gasping in awe and amazement, journalists and publishers beating a path to my door . . . At the very least completed and submitted and all the boxes ticked. o_O :mobibabe:

And the lovely @terse Ted has finally caved under the pressure graciously agreed to host Edit This! until end April - or until they let me out of the loonie bin, whichever comes first.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Important note from the editor

Dear all, I'm off to do my best Hermione girlie-swot blue-stocking impersonation: to focus, to concentrate, to be diligent and studious and disciplined -- to write up a thesis that will have my examiners gasping in awe and amazement, journalists and publishers beating a path to my door . . . At the very least completed and submitted and all the boxes ticked. o_O :mobibabe:

And the lovely @terse Ted has finally caved under the pressure graciously agreed to host Edit This! until end April - or until they let me out of the loonie bin, whichever comes first.

Okay, thread found. Picture will be up after feeding time when I'm back home. Sorry I wasn't with you all the time. Totally forgot this. Back soon.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hello Editors! [emoji4]
I have a picture from taken with a new groovy lens, a 5x tele lens by Polaroid. Thought with a famous make it must be nice, which it is somehow, when have a steady hand. I always carry my gorilla pod me but hardly ever use. Takes too long to set up. I'm more a moment catcher. Nevertheless though quite expensive (in the eye of the beholder which is me) it has some downsides: A. Cushion distortions, B. It doesn't seem to know where to focus. I'm not sure it focuses in the middle, I think it's sharper between the middle and the edge, and it partly blurs/offsets the colours, and C. Without zooming in a little with the camera you'll always have an unwanted vignette in the corners (in all four if you happened to attach it properly on the phone).

The challenge: Can you find an app (or apps)/recipe/workflow to put it right or close to?

Both are
For reference the picture taken without tele lens with native camera:

IMG_6864.JPG

This is the shot to work with (5x tele, also native camera):

IMG_6940.JPG

Thanks in advance. [emoji8]

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Edited in my new found friend, Photoshop Fix. Firstly, I used Liquify/Warp to try and straighten the curve of the kerb. I did try to heal out the corners, but that didn't work, so I added a sky blue vignette to take out the top ones. Couldn't do anything with the bottom ones except leave the sky blue in. I used Swell in Liquify to straightn the splash.

IMG_3112.JPG

I'm not sure if this is what you were hoping for Gouvy.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Edited in my new found friend, Photoshop Fix. Firstly, I used Liquify/Warp to try and straighten the curve of the kerb. I did try to heal out the corners, but that didn't work, so I added a sky blue vignette to take out the top ones. Couldn't do anything with the bottom ones except leave the sky blue in. I used Swell in Liquify to straightn the splash.

View attachment 87496
I'm not sure if this is what you were hoping for Gouvy.
Yes, fits my plea. Lolls definitely better than the original. Wonder if something even better is coming up. I know it's not easy. If so I might have fixed it already. [emoji1]

rizole

IOTM Winner - June 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Toolwiz has a lens correction tool which is pretty good but it leaves the corners pulled in so the pic is more lozenge shape than rectangle.
tmp_10467-IMG_6940.JPG_1485114619650-681617880.jpg

Snapseed let me dodge the vignetting but the only solutions to the bulgy edges I could figure was to crop or heal. I went with healing to see how well it did. Not great but better than the lozenge shape in my opinion.
tmp_10467-IMG_6940.JPG_1485114619650-011718590316.jpeg

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
IMG_3320.JPG

SKRWT to fix the pincushion distortion, TouchRetouch to help get rid of the vignette corners at the top, ACDSee Pro and Snapseed for other tweaks.

(SKRWT and TouchRetouch both available for Android and iOS.)

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 87512

SKRWT to fix the pincushion distortion, TouchRetouch to help get rid of the vignette corners at the top, ACDSee Pro and Snapseed for other tweaks.

(SKRWT and TouchRetouch both available for Android and iOS.)
Job done. No messin'. :thumbs: So that's it then. What do we do now? :lol:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Toolwiz has a lens correction tool which is pretty good but it leaves the corners pulled in so the pic is more lozenge shape than rectangle.View attachment 87510
Snapseed let me dodge the vignetting but the only solutions to the bulgy edges I could figure was to crop or heal. I went with healing to see how well it did. Not great but better than the lozenge shape in my opinion.View attachment 87509
Toolwiz totally stopped working on my phone, all I ever got when opening was a black screen, weird huh :confused:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Hello Editors! [emoji4]
I have a picture from taken with a new groovy lens, a 5x tele lens by Polaroid. Thought with a famous make it must be nice, which it is somehow, when have a steady hand. I always carry my gorilla pod me but hardly ever use. Takes too long to set up. I'm more a moment catcher. Nevertheless though quite expensive (in the eye of the beholder which is me) it has some downsides: A. Cushion distortions, B. It doesn't seem to know where to focus. I'm not sure it focuses in the middle, I think it's sharper between the middle and the edge, and it partly blurs/offsets the colours, and C. Without zooming in a little with the camera you'll always have an unwanted vignette in the corners (in all four if you happened to attach it properly on the phone).

The challenge: Can you find an app (or apps)/recipe/workflow to put it right or close to?

Both are
For reference the picture taken without tele lens with native camera:

View attachment 87489

This is the shot to work with (5x tele, also native camera):

View attachment 87490

Thanks in advance. [emoji8]
So an open question. Are we trying to push these cameras further than they are really capable of?
The first photo is fine, but the added zoom lens and the resulting shot just makes me think is it worthwhile?

Funny how edit this has become a technical challenge, rather than an artistic one.

rizole

IOTM Winner - June 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Toolwiz totally stopped working on my phone, all I ever got when opening was a black screen, weird huh :confused:
Not good. You could try reinstalling it if you thought it worth the effort. As it was pretty much the 2nd app I installed after (4 years after) snapseed, I guess I've invested the time and as I've had no problems with it it's staying for now.

terse

IOTM Winner - May 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
So an open question. Are we trying to push these cameras further than they are really capable of?
The first photo is fine, but the added zoom lens and the resulting shot just makes me think is it worthwhile?
I think the flaws are a characteristic of that add-on lens rather than of the camera. Smartphone cameras with the tiny sensors have limits, but I get much less distortion using the Moment 2x tele.

Also a 5x tele on an iPhone gives you the equivalent of roughly a 150mm lens on a 35mm or full frame camera. That's getting into the area where it's hard to handhold and get a sharp image.