Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Useful article on editing with Snapseed by Jo Bradford:

She's written a couple of books on smartphone photography, so she mentions them several times in the article, but it's not obtrusive, and there's some good info there. For example, she describes how to create a custom vignette using the Curves tool and masking, which was new to me.

(Oddly, though the article is clearly by Jo Bradford, there's no byline at the top, and the bio at the bottom is for someone else.)

She's written a couple of books on smartphone photography, so she mentions them several times in the article, but it's not obtrusive, and there's some good info there. For example, she describes how to create a custom vignette using the Curves tool and masking, which was new to me.

(Oddly, though the article is clearly by Jo Bradford, there's no byline at the top, and the bio at the bottom is for someone else.)
Yesterday I read the article. I’ll have to go through the custom vignette slowly some day, but this morning while doing a BnW edit, in Snapseed, again, I was reminded of this thread. I just paid for Lightroom Mobile and I’m still running to Snapseed all the time.

It’s been my go-to editing app for several years now. It’s so intuitive (to me, anyway) and does everything I need. Love that app. If it ever stopped functioning I would be so lost.
Me, too.

Great read. I just started using Snapseed.

After having a read through this one, I have decided to keep Snapseed and use it more.

That looks pretty complete. My favorite things in Snapseed are the stack and the Tonal Contrast tool. I wish ACDSee Pro and Ultralight had a stack like Snapseed for going back to redo previous adjustments. And I wish Snapseed had a 5-band tonal adjustment like ACDSee Pro and Ultralight and brush-on adjustments like ACDSee Pro.

That looks pretty complete. My favorite things in Snapseed are the stack and the Tonal Contrast tool. I wish ACDSee Pro and Ultralight had a stack like Snapseed for going back to redo previous adjustments. And I wish Snapseed had a 5-band tonal adjustment like ACDSee Pro and Ultralight and brush-on adjustments like ACDSee Pro.
I have never used stack. I didn’t even know it was an option. :lmao: this is why I constantly go back and look at my favorite tutes and such. There’s always something I missed before.

I have never used stack. I didn’t even know it was an option. :lmao: this is why I constantly go back and look at my favorite tutes and such. There’s always something I missed before.
I don't think I have either (unless I forgot??) !!! I thought I knew everything about Snapseed!

I don't think I have either (unless I forgot??) !!! I thought I knew everything about Snapseed!

I don’t see it in the options.
I'm not sure "stack" is the official name. Maybe it's "View Edits." Anyway, after you've made a few edits in Snapseed, you can tap this icon with the curved arrow:

IMG_6597.jpeg

That pops up a menu from which you select View Edits:

IMG_6598.jpeg

And that pops up a list/history of your edits in the bottom right corner.

IMG_6600.jpeg

From there, you can drag the items to reorder them. (Sometimes changing the order alters the final result.) And if you tap on one of the steps and then tap on the < for that step, you get a pop out menu from which you can (from left to right) delete that step, brush on the effect, or alter the settings of that step.

Last edited:
I'm not sure "stack" is the official name. Maybe it's "View Edits." Anyway, after you've made a few edits in Snapseed, you can tap this icon with the curved arrow:

View attachment 193705

View attachment 193706

View attachment 193707

From there, you can drag the items to reorder them. (Sometimes changing the order alters the final result.) And if you tap on one of the steps and then tap on the > for that step, you get a pop out menu from which you can (from left to right) delete that step, brush on the effect, or alter the settings of that step.
Yes! I was thinking in terms of a focal stack, but yes, I have gone back and changed settings, never reordered, though. Must give it a try. Especially with the presets.

View attachment 193705

View attachment 193706

View attachment 193707

From there, you can drag the items to reorder them. (Sometimes changing the order alters the final result.) And if you tap on one of the steps and then tap on the < for that step, you get a pop out menu from which you can (from left to right) delete that step, brush on the effect, or alter the settings of that step.
Oh, yes! I use that ALL. THE. TIME. Couldn't live without it.

I use it from time to time, like to leave my photos untouched unless I want to add more emphasis and Snapseed is great at doing that. I was about to say that it's a shame that it's ongoing development has been dropped but it seems to be up and running again!

I use it from time to time, like to leave my photos untouched unless I want to add more emphasis
Pretty much all my photos benefit from at least a little editing, especially cropping :lmao: In fact, I frequently find a better photo inside the photo I originally took. But with my recent phones, the photos need less and less in the way of color and lighting adjustments.

Pretty much all my photos benefit from at least a little editing, especially cropping :lmao: In fact, I frequently find a better photo inside the photo I originally took. But with my recent phones, the photos need less and less in the way of color and lighting adjustments.
You can make some truly great edits with the app and in some cases it produces a completely different photo that makes the original look almost uninteresting, by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom