Embracing Britishness: biscuits

Cookies: How do you like yours?

• Total voters
Hmmmm.... I don't agree. They are most definitely in the same category which is "cookie". There are sub-categories though, which could include hard/crunchy or soft/chewy. The same with chocolates. One category, many sub-categories.
OK then, when you see a plate of cookies, or biscuits in the UK, how do we differentiate between the chewy ones and the crispy ones?

They are never seen together.
I guess that’s why it has never been necessary to tidy up the names. At all sorts of large suppers I have often seen sliced bread as well as scones, dinner rolls, biscuits (the bread kind), bagels, etc., all at the same time.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... I think people should choose one of these, otherwise we could have 20 categories. You did state that you prefer a crunchy cookie. :sneaky:
But I didn’t say a hard crunchy cookie. I couldn’t vote for the bottom two but the top one is just as far off.

Looks like those are what we call Ginger Snaps.
Narp, a Ginger Snap is not a biscuit here, whereas Ginger Nurts are a proper Brit biscuit... :whistle:

The following may have been said before, but I could not read them all, 6 pages on cookies/biscuits, really? ... :sneaky:

To be clear, a cookie choice, per the poll, is a bit of a misnomer, as the first choice would be a biscuit, rather than a cookie, which is what the other two may be, cookies that is... :lmao:

Cookies here will, typically, be much larger than a tradional bisuit and largely soft all through, although they may have slightly crisper extremeties and still be cookies rather than biscuits... ;)

The question about bread has not yet been resolved. If someone at the table asks if you could pass them some bread would you pass them the sliced bread or the biscuit bread?
Is there such a thing in England as biscuit bread? Current citizens may elucidate here ;) Bread, in my parents’ house, when it was on the table, came in different shapes: slice, roll, etc. A scone was eaten with either butter and jam, or clotted cream with strawberries or strawberry jam. I don’t remember if we ate anything like a American “biscuit”, and never with gravy :eek: The closest thing I can think of would be Yorkshire Pudding, which is of course, totally different, and may be seen, in this context, as a curve ball :lol:
I have not lived in England since the early 70s, except for around 18 months in 1990-1991, so I could be totally wrong.

Hmmmm.... I don't agree. They are most definitely in the same category which is "cookie". There are sub-categories though, which could include hard/crunchy or soft/chewy. The same with chocolates. One category, many sub-categories.
In England if it has the word biscuit on the wrapper it’s a biscuit :p;)

Back
Top Bottom