B&W RESULT: #222 Black & White Challenge

Rural Colorado. Not happy to see you. They just don’t get the impulse to take photos of interesting places.
Yeah, I live in a rural (open carry) area and I would not be comfortable wandering around photographing private property…. A bit different than my New Jersey-wandering-into-any-random-greenhouse-shed-hut-whatever days. :(

So, if lkbside Leslie thinks she has enough images to judge, then this challenge is CLOSED and it’s over to you Leslie to choose your favourites.:thumbs: Whenever you’re ready.

Aloha,
i'm new here, thanx for letting me in. Please have mercy with my mistakes (which will certainly come ...)

Here's a photo from my neighborhood, which i took with my wife's then new iPhone 12.
I postprocessed it with some of my favorite apps on my iPad.

Actually, i'm more a collage artist then a photographer, but ... then ...

Cheers,
TJK
2B9D4B92-3134-4361-8EC8-016864D969A5.jpeg

Aloha,
i'm new here, thanx for letting me in. Please have mercy with my mistakes (which will certainly come ...)

Here's a photo from my neighborhood, which i took with my wife's then new iPhone 12.

Cheers,
TJK
View attachment 175456
Aloha back at you! Do you prefer Thomas, Tom or TJK? Welcome to Mobitog! You can introduce yourself HERE. Others will be along with greeting and helpful hints. Meantime, look around and get familiar with our little spot on the web.

That is a great image, unfortunately JillyG has closed this weeks BnW challenge. You can post it in the current weeks challenge HERE. Or I can move it there for you!

Aloha,

Cheers,
TJK
View attachment 175456
Hello Thomas. Welcome to Mobitog and thank you for posting in the Black & White Challenge. As Star says, this week’s challenge is closed for judging. But you can post to the new challenge here: https://mobitog.com/threads/new-223-black-white-challenge.24727/

Please be aware that it’s a black and white challenge, so no colour or tints/tones allowed.:D This image that you’ve posted would need to be desaturated before being allowed in the challenge. But don’t worry, I’m always here to help if there’s any doubt about an image and I can help with reposting etc. Just keep posting and we’ll work on the technicalities later. I look forward to seeing some of your collages elsewhere.:thumbs:

Not bothering to find out about a windmill on your roof speaks volumes. I mean, maybe she didn’t realise what it was. :lol:
I thought that was very strange - even if she is just a renter wouldn't you know the backstory? I think she just wanted to get me out of there. With a quick google I found out that it was put up for sale in 2021. It was built in the 1970's - was first the Dutch Mill Restaurant - hence the windmill. In subsequent years it was a Mexican restaurant, a candy shop and then a coffee shop and renovated into a home in 2018. The couple who renovated it moved back to Utah and put it on the market. They were quite chatty in the newspaper article I found - and the wife looks completely different than the glum woman peering out her door, so I think maybe its being rented.

I thought that was very strange - even if she is just a renter wouldn't you know the backstory? I think she just wanted to get me out of there. With a quick google I found out that it was put up for sale in 2021. It was built in the 1970's - was first the Dutch Mill Restaurant - hence the windmill. In subsequent years it was a Mexican restaurant, a candy shop and then a coffee shop and renovated into a home in 2018. The couple who renovated it moved back to Utah and put it on the market. They were quite chatty in the newspaper article I found - and the wife looks completely different than the glum woman peering out her door, so I think maybe its being rented.
It is weird that someone who has something as distinctive as a windmill on their roof wouldn’t be curious. You found plenty of information easily enough. Maybe she hasn’t been paying the rent. :D

Here are my picks for this week:

First: dscheff for his shadows photo.
D224C9E2-C899-4F29-B156-4E67E32C72CF.png

Clever! You had to be quite observant to see that and capture it. (I looked at the bored panda website article - those examples of shadow sculpture were really extraordinary - how do they do it?)

Second: ImageArt - slow shutter ice - beautiful! Looks like an assemblage of diamonds or other precious stones.

Third: sdimbour - pedestrian passage. Perfect in every way. Especially love the perspective and lighting.

Congrats everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha,

Cheers,
TJK
View attachment 175456
Welcome esotopia from another newbie (2 weeks today)! It might seem overwhelming at first, but stick with it. I'm happy to answer any questions about finding things and keeping up with posts.

Aloha,

thanx for your friendly welcome. You certainly helped me feeling more comfortable here.

All the Best,
TJK

Hi Starzee,

'bout my name: Tom is OK but i'd prefer TJK since this is the name with which i've journeyd through plenty of forums over the last decades - including my owns ...
Thanx for the help offered but i think i can manage this with DIY. btw: as i have learned, my picture does not qualify for bnw since it apears tinted. Well, not on my device screen, but i now know that any future contribution will need one more, final processing step: desaturation ...

As i expected: i can learn a lot here. Very good!

All the Best,
Cheers & Tschüss ()
TJK

First: dscheff for his shadows photo. Clever! You had to be quite observant to see that and capture it. (I looked at the bored panda website article - those examples of shadow sculpture were really extraordinary - how do they do it?)

Second: ImageArt - slow shutter ice - beautiful! Looks like an assemblage of diamonds or other precious stones.

Third: sdimbour - pedestrian passage. Perfect in every way. Especially love the perspective and lighting.

Congrats everyone!
Congrats dscheff and high fives to ImageArt and sdimbour :thumbs:

Hi JillyG,
Hello Thomas. Welcome to Mobitog and thank you for posting in the Black & White Challenge. As Star says, this week’s challenge is closed for judging. But you can post to the new challenge here: https://mobitog.com/threads/new-223-black-white-challenge.24727/

Please be aware that it’s a black and white challenge, so no colour or tints/tones allowed.:D This image that you’ve posted would need to be desaturated before being allowed in the challenge. But don’t worry, I’m always here to help if there’s any doubt about an image and I can help with reposting etc. Just keep posting and we’ll work on the technicalities later. I look forward to seeing some of your collages elsewhere.:thumbs:
Hi JillyG,

thanx for the welcome. no problem with my entry being too late. there will be plenty more occasions.
Good to know, that my picture is not what you consider bnw. I assume it's monochrome and to learn the difference between these two categories is exactly what i'm here for.

Best wishes,
Tschüss (),
TJK

First: dscheff for his shadows photo. Clever! You had to be quite observant to see that and capture it. (I looked at the bored panda website article - those examples of shadow sculpture were really extraordinary - how do they do it?)

Congrats everyone!
Thanks Leslie for the second place! Well done to dscheff for your clever pic and to sdimbour too.

View attachment 175470
Clever! You had to be quite observant to see that and capture it. (I looked at the bored panda website article - those examples of shadow sculpture were really extraordinary - how do they do it?)

Congrats everyone!
Great judging Leslie, thank you. Super congratulations to dscheff Jeffrey - what a great spot. High fives to ImageArt Ann and sdimbour Sandra for second and third respectively. Three very different, but marvellous images. Great work from everyone this week to keep the challenge topped up with fabulous images. Okay, me and Jeffrey’s little grasshopper (for that is how I think of it) are hopping off to the Gallery. See you there.

View attachment 175470

Congrats everyone!
Yay Jeffrey! Good choice, Leslie. Congrats to Ann and Sandra as well.

Back
Top Bottom