Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

When you're stuck in an office, take a photo in the office. How well will the pinks of Susie get along with the greens of Brunswick 9 from the Australian Fitzroy Hipstapak? Pretty well, actually.

Photo 74: Brunswick 9

Office Chairs
View attachment 198804
Thats almost like a Hockney! Love those prints on the wall too!

A photo from my first photo walk with my snazzy new iPhone 15 Plus, and yes, I’m going to mention I have a new iPhone 15 Plus until you’re all sick of it. The Badwater 282 film comes from the Death Valley Hipstapak. I haven’t used that pack enough, but I like it a lot. Badwater 282’s description is “Add a shift to green tones with this color-shifting film.” The pinks of Susie make this a very warm photo. I was just trying to get a nice photo of the skyline, but I only just now noticed the bird skimming over the water.

Photo 75: Badwater 282

Lake Washington Sunset
HipstamaticPhoto-726381178.259543.jpeg

A photo from my first photo walk with my snazzy new iPhone 15 Plus, and yes, I’m going to mention I have a new iPhone 15 Plus until you’re all sick of it.

Lake Washington Sunset
this is the place to mention it, Kent! And we also appreciate your ongoing review of Everyday Susie. I wonder if she’s been put through her paces to this extent anywhere else ?

A photo from my first photo walk with my snazzy new iPhone 15 Plus, and yes, I’m going to mention I have a new iPhone 15 Plus until you’re all sick of it. The Badwater 282 film comes from the Death Valley Hipstapak. I haven’t used that pack enough, but I like it a lot. Badwater 282’s description is “Add a shift to green tones with this color-shifting film.” The pinks of Susie make this a very warm photo. I was just trying to get a nice photo of the skyline, but I only just now noticed the bird skimming over the water.

Lake Washington Sunset
View attachment 199402
You can go to your account details and add your device.. Then you can brag it up with every post!

Indus 19 came in the Ladakh Hipstapak from the first summer of the pandemic. The description is “add a subtle cool vignette and tone shift with this clean film.” Indus tamps down Susie‘s worst excesses, but still allowing some of the pink to flow through.

Photo 76: Indus 19

Tiny Marina
HipstamaticPhoto-726500051.213847.jpeg

Trying to catch up on some films that have come out since I started this thread, and I just realized I missed Guerbois from the Impressionist Snappak. The description is “This Parisian film adds more impasto than you can shake a brush at.” I think we’ve finally found a filter more overpowering than Susie. Guerbois allows you to shake for different effects, and this was the least intrusive version I found.

Photo 77: Guerbois

Railcar on Siding
HipstamaticPhoto-726557258.849672.jpeg

in case you’re wondering, this is the original.
OriginalPhoto-726276778.236035.jpeg

Trying to catch up on some films that have come out since I started this thread, and I just realized I missed Guerbois from the Impressionist Snappak. The description is “This Parisian film adds more impasto than you can shake a brush at.” I think we’ve finally found a filter more overpowering than Susie. Guerbois allows you to shake for different effects, and this was the least intrusive version I found.

Photo 77: Guerbois

Railcar on Siding
View attachment 199450

in case you’re wondering, this is the original.
View attachment 199451
The least? I do have the impression combo in my regular rotation. But then, I do tend to app images to death.

The Irom 2000 film is from the Colaba HipstaPak, released in January 2014. The description is “In honor of Irom Sharmila, the iron lady of India, we present this fearless film.“ I’ll admit I’d never heard of her, but she’s a remarkable person. Irom Chanu Sharmila - Wikipedia

The warmth of Irom makes a small impact on Susie. This photo of a bench taken in 26°F (-3°C for all you sensible people using metric units) appears much warmer than it actually is.

Photo 78: Irom 2000

Bench and Bridge
HipstamaticPhoto-726994062.788061.jpeg

Last edited:
Today we’re looking at the Jægersborggade film from the Danish Nørrebro Hipstapak (the hardest sentence I’ve had to type in this whole series.) It came out two years ago as the January ‘22 First Friday release. The description is “This fine film is characterized by a lovely grain quality and first-of-roll light leak.” It’s another photo from my last trip to Japan. I managed to snap this woman in a beautiful kimono checking her cell phone on my way to the airport. I like the grain in this film. Thankfully the “first-of-roll light leak” effect appears to have no effect.

Photo 79: Jægersborggade

Woman on Train Platform
HipstamaticPhoto-727474690.764026.jpeg

Before I even begin, does this look like the packaging for a black and white film?

IMG_2855.png

I’m not saying the art or the film are bad. Quite the opposite. I like them both. I’m just saying they‘re a poor match.

The Kitsune 67 film is from the Shibuya Hipstapak. Pronounced kit-soo-ney, it’s a trickster fox spirit from Japanese folklore.
IMG_2856.jpeg

The style of the film is grainy, borderless black and white. This is the Cedar River in below freezing temperatures. Susie leaves Kitsune a little washed out, but not overly so.

Photo 80: Kitsune 67

Cedar River
HipstamaticPhoto-727602158.199019.jpeg

The next film in line is also from Japan. It’s Kodama from the March 2014 Kyoto Hipstapak. Once again, the name of this film is from Japanese folklore, a spirit that lives in trees in the mountains. I strongly suggest you do not try to cut down a tree in which a Kodama lives.
IMG_0547.jpeg

“This instant pull-off film gives you a unique result with each shot.” Here’s a photo of a house in Yokohama. The film’s tear-off effect is a frame you can turn off, so here it is with and without the frame.

Photo 81: Kodama

House in Yokohama
HipstamaticPhoto-727777315.398573.jpeg

HipstamaticPhoto-727777441.940490.jpeg

Introduced in April 2017 as part of the Kissimmee Hipstapak alongside the Dale lens, the Kodot Souvenir film comes with a rather controversial digital date stamp. The date shown is the day it was introduced, but you can also update it to show the date the photo was taken. The date can be removed by selecting the delete border button in editing.

There’s a sharpness in the film that pushes back against Susie’s pink wash. The overhead lighting helps, too.

This photo was taken at Mike & Mike’s Guitar Bar in Seattle’s Fremont neighborhood. If you’re a guitarist and live anywhere near Seattle, you owe it to yourself to check this place out.

Photo 82: Kodot Souvenir

Mike & Mike’s Guitar Bar
HipstamaticPhoto-730018244.137410.jpeg

Kodot Xgrizzled is an original Hipstamatic film, a part of the standard pack that everyone gets when they get Hipstamatic. Archie McPhee's is one of the great stores, full of bizarre novelty items. If you need a rubber chicken, this is who you go to. There's an entire wall dedicated to the history of the rubber chicken. And as you can see here, they have the world's largest rubber chicken.

Photo 83: Kodot Xgrizzled

I Saw the World's Largest Rubber Chicken at Archie McPhee
53539011472_316fb45e4b_5k.jpg

Last edited:
Kodot Xgrizzled is an original Hipstamatic film, a part of the standard pack that everyone gets when they get Hipstamatic. Archie McPhee's is one of the great stores, full of bizarre novelty items. If you need a rubber chicken, this is who you go to. There's an entire wall dedicated to the history of the rubber chicken. And as you can see here, they have the world's largest rubber chicken.

Photo 83: Kodot Xgrizzled

I Saw the World's Largest Rubber Chicken at Archie McPhee
View attachment 200250
Why do I feel like I’ve seen an Archie McPhee catolog?

Why do I feel like I’ve seen an Archie McPhee catolog?
I’m sure you have. They ship all over the world.

From the Des Moines Hipstapak, we have the Kool Soup film. It emulates a specific development technique that uses Kool-Aid. I know it’s not to everyone’s taste, but I rather like it.

Photo 84: Kool Soup film

Lake Washington Shoreline
HipstamaticPhoto-730137414.297353.jpeg

Posting four days in a row? What is this? Some sort of "everyday" photo thread?

Today we take a look at the Kowloon 1839 film from the Tai Hang Hiptapak from April 2016. "Take a walk through the side streets of Hong Kong with this film, inspired by old posters." The torn edges definitely give that old poster look. Otherwise Susie's pink streaks are as dominant as ever. This is an old radio set I saw at Mike and Mike's Guitar Bar this weekend. It's probably no surprise that someone who likes vintage camera effects would also like vintage home electronics.

Photo 85: Kowloon 1839

Vintage Radio Set
53544160168_9a51221ed4_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom