Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

There is a tree and a bench on a small hill in a nearby park I wanted to try photographing in black and white. Today was a rainy day, so it seemed like a good time to try it out.

Photo 8: AO DLX

Tree and Bench
3D917E3B-CCF6-49FA-8E95-C5F27D1A98CA.jpeg

The Susie lens was first introduced in the We Heart Boobies Goodpak and later included in Retropak Two. With its heavy pink tint, overexposure and desaturation, it is one of the most difficult lenses to get a good photo with in the Hipstamatic catalog. So I’ve decided to do a photo-a-day project using only the Susie lens, pairing it up with a different film each day. I want to see if I can figure out how to best use it.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I am going alphabetically.

Photo 1: no film

Lake Washington looking north to Seattle.
View attachment 180257
Susie is tough! Looking forward to your creations.

Almost ran out of time today. I managed to sneak out during lunch (I work the second shift) to get a few snaps in. I've been looking forward to trying Arjan. It never came out with a specific pack, it was given out for free after the death of Hipstamatic enthusiast Arjan van der Horst for whom it was named. As such, it's a bit of a forgotten film which is a shame. You can get some amazing shots with it. If you're still missing Arjan BW, it's available in Retropak Nine.

Photo 10: Arjan BW

Abandoned Couch in the Blackberry Brambles
52081333006_3e67d15135_o.jpg

Almost ran out of time today. I managed to sneak out during lunch (I work the second shift) to get a few snaps in. I've been looking forward to trying Arjan. It never came out with a specific pack, it was given out for free after the death of Hipstamatic enthusiast Arjan van der Horst for whom it was named. As such, it's a bit of a forgotten film which is a shame. You can get some amazing shots with it. If you're still missing Arjan BW, it's available in Retropak Nine.

View attachment 180645
I never realised that was the background to the film. Ive got it tucked away in my gear, must bring it out.

View attachment 180645
Nice one.

View attachment 180645
Oh, I love this composition! :hearteyes: And the combo works well.

You're going to see a lot of photos of train tracks and rivers here since I've got plenty of both around me. The description for Belém film (from the Lisbon Hipstapak) says "This vintage film adds a lovely focus to the center of the image and creates luscious blue skies." Let's see what Susie's heavy pinks say about that.

Photo 11: Belém

Rail Bridge
52083555483_a9eb3634af_o.jpg

You're going to see a lot of photos of train tracks and rivers here since I've got plenty of both around me. The description for Belém film (from the Lisbon Hipstapak) says "This vintage film adds a lovely focus to the center of the image and creates luscious blue skies." Let's see what Susie's heavy pinks say about that.

Photo 11: Belém

Rail Bridge
View attachment 180684
Thats good to hear, I do love a good bridge. Railway imagery is always welcome too.

A lovely little oval-window VW Beetle I photographed at a friendly neighborhood car show from The Before Times. Just for fun, I decided to see what adding a flash would do to Susie. Most muddy it up even more, but I was surprised by how much the Jolly Rainbo 2X flash almost completely wipes out the Susie effect.

Photo 12: Big Easy Film

Volkswagen Beetle (without flash)
52085854038_97ce2a1f04_o.jpg

Volkswagen Beetle (with flash)
52086334370_409c47fc91_o.jpg

A lovely little oval-window VW Beetle I photographed at a friendly neighborhood car show from The Before Times. Just for fun, I decided to see what adding a flash would do to Susie. Most muddy it up even more, but I was surprised by how much the Jolly Rainbo 2X flash almost completely wipes out the Susie effect.

View attachment 180729

View attachment 180730
Thats a good look with the flash, still a pink tint, but good contrast too

View attachment 180729

View attachment 180730
some of these would work well in sinnerjohn ’s ‘fake Polaroid theme’ in this week’s MCC

Back
Top Bottom