Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

For today’s film, let’s go back nearly nine years to August of 2014, when Sweden’s Södermalm Hipstapak was released. It’s one of the rare packs that gave you three elements: Triple Crown flash, Bruno lens, and today’s film, Gotland. “Add some texture to your prints with this rough film.” So let’s look at what Susie and Gotland do with this photo of a barn in the Stillaguamish River Valley.

Photo 65: Gotland film

Stillaguamish Barn
41BCE4D4-E565-4094-AF72-649FDA1C0AA5.jpeg

We're taking another trip back to 2014, November specifically, for the Hackney Film from the Dalston Hipstapak. "Get pinpoint focus with this bodacious borderless film" the gear page says. It does seem to have a pinpoint effect, but Susie does her best to wash it out.

Photo 66: Hackney film

Left Bank Books
52938630709_f853e3b1ee_o.jpg

We're taking another trip back to 2014, November specifically, for the Hackney Film from the Dalston Hipstapak. "Get pinpoint focus with this bodacious borderless film" the gear page says. It does seem to have a pinpoint effect, but Susie does her best to wash it out.

Photo 66: Hackney film

Left Bank Books
View attachment 193040
Kent, where do find this information? I have a terrible time finding anything helpful. Except here.

Kent, where do find this information? I have a terrible time finding anything helpful. Except here.
Mostly just a Google search under the name of the pack. I like to think the little details add some fun to my posts.

And now we've moved on to Memphis in the summer with the Hampline film from the Cooper-Young Hipstapak. It came out during the Second Summer of the Lockdown, aka 2021. Hampline's description is "The grit of Memphis is captured in this grungy film." I quite like the pack, but I haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like. So let's take a look at all that grittiness when combined with Susie's boudoir pinks. I like it. A nice rough, thin border, and they seem to get along well. The white spots are actually late afternoon sunlight shining through the trees.

Photo 67: Hampline film

FDC
52940757624_b9fda2cf15_o.jpg

Mostly just a Google search under the name of the pack. I like to think the little details add some fun to my posts.

And now we've moved on to Memphis in the summer with the Hampline film from the Cooper-Young Hipstapak. It came out during the Second Summer of the Lockdown, aka 2021. Hampline's description is "The grit of Memphis is captured in this grungy film." I quite like the pack, but I haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like. So let's take a look at all that grittiness when combined with Susie's boudoir pinks. I like it. A nice rough, thin border, and they seem to get along well. The white spots are actually late afternoon sunlight shining through the trees.

FDC
View attachment 193057
Well, I for one, appreciate you adding the descriptions. It helps me find packs for my Hipstamatic.

Last edited:
The Hiragana 95 film comes from the Nakazakicho Hipstapak. I’m not sure why it’s called Hiragana. That’s one of three Japanese syllabaries. It’s a phonetic lettering system used for Japanese words. How that relates to this film is unclear. The description is “Add a textured vignette with strong green shift using this film.” It’s definitely got a strong green tint. Susie can barely make a dent in it. The best she can do is soften everything up.

Photo 68: Hiragana 95 film

Tukwila Pond
BFF16EA7-BD3E-420E-B9C5-7BC30EFF4FE0.jpeg

Talk about oldies. Ina's 1935 film is from the Mission Hipstapak, which goes all the way back to September of 2010. It was part of the Hipsta 170 update. To give you an idea how long ago that was, we were all still running iOS4. As I was leaving work yesterday, a couple of crows took issue with my very existence. They kept cawing at me and flying over me. So I took a picture of one. I like the border. I like how the pink and blues combine.

Photo 69: Ina's 1935

Crow
crow.jpg

Last edited:
Talk about oldies. Ina's 1935 film is from the Mission Hipstapak, which goes all the way back to September of 2010. It was part of the Hipsta 170 update. To give you an idea how long ago that was, we were all still running iOS4. As I was leaving work yesterday, a couple of crows took issue with my very existence. They kept cawing at me and flying over me. So I took a picture of one. I like the border. I like how the pink and blues combine.

Photo 69: Ina's 1935

Crow
View attachment 193111
I love crows, I don’t know exactly why. I’m having a hard time keeping up with you. I haven’t found Hiragana 95 yet and now I have to find Ins’s 1935……

The Hiragana 95 film comes from the Nakazakicho Hipstapak. I’m not sure why it’s called Hiragana. That’s one of three Japanese syllabaries. It’s a phonetic lettering system used for Japanese words. How that relates to this film is unclear. The description is “Add a textured vignette with strong green shift using this film.” It’s definitely got a strong green tint. Susie can barely make a dent in it. The best she can do is soften everything up.

Photo 68: Hiragana 95 film

Tukwila Pond
View attachment 193093
This is really lovely. :inlove:

Okay, now we're going all the way back to 2009 and the start of Hipstamatic when we all thought the app was based on a failed plastic camera from Minnesota. The slightly off-center frame is a classic. Despite being a 14 year old filter, Ina's 1969 still looks great.

Photo 70: Ina's 1969

Crow 2
52958628033_6979bf1221_o.jpg

FDC
View attachment 193057
love this shot Kent, the grain really adds to the rusty looking finish on the wheels

Okay, now we're going all the way back to 2009 and the start of Hipstamatic when we all thought the app was based on a failed plastic camera from Minnesota. The slightly off-center frame is a classic. Despite being a 14 year old filter, Ina's 1969 still looks great.

Crow 2
View attachment 193261
Look at those wonderful wings. This pair of shots are excellent - so minimalist, but some great detail tucked away

Crow 2
View attachment 193261
I really like this! Very moody, and Susie works great with this.

FDC
View attachment 193057
Nominated IoTM June :notworthy:

I'm going to finish this before I die, I swear. My iPod Touch I bought only three years ago will not charge any more. But I did buy a brand new iPad mini a couple months ago, so that's now my Hipstamatic camera. At least until I can afford a new iPhone, hopefully by this spring.

Here's an older one from 2012. It's part of the Ina's line of color films. The description is "The last film Ina made before she closed her bakery, this adds a simple and elegant white matte to your prints." I see this power line tower almost daily, but the late afternoon sun made it stand out and I just had to photograph it. I'm surprised by how little impact Susie has on Ina. Has Susie finally met her match?

Photo 71: Ina's 1982

Powerline
53297396677_83d3d2e3b9_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is a really neat idea!!! Keep up the great work!!! I always think it would be neat to do something like this but then I get bored with Hipsta

really please you are continuing with this Kent - I would love to get down and dirty with a few more combos, but keeping track of them on a small screen is tricky. I have a few favourites, that i use on a regular basis, but could really do with getting down to testing out a few new ones.

Susie meets Figueroa from the new Highland Park Hipstapak. This is a view out of a 4th floor window at a local hospital. It sits on a hill looking across a valley. It was a gray day, so it's a bit washed out. I'm a bit surprised at how little influence Susie has here.

Photo 72: Figueroa

Valley
53394505520_d8fa981a93_o.jpg

Susie meets Figueroa from the new Highland Park Hipstapak. This is a view out of a 4th floor window at a local hospital. It sits on a hill looking across a valley. It was a gray day, so it's a bit washed out. I'm a bit surprised at how little influence Susie has here.

Photo 72: Figueroa

Valley
View attachment 198675
Good to see Susie is still a working girl. A very pleasant lilac tint in evidence here, despite her overpowering pinkiness!

Two Susie updates in a row? What are we, millionaires? (This in-joke brought to you by RiffTrax.) Time for a trip to the Salton Sea before it completely dries up. The Salton Sea was formed in 1905 from diverted irrigation water. The Salton Sea Hipstapak was introduced 110 years later, in 2015. The description for the Indio film is "Add heat waves that tickle the tips of your prints with this borderless film." I like the effect on the fountain which has colored lights shining in it. The streak through the bottom of the photo is a reflection of a chrome handrail.

Side note: Indio is not just a town in Southern California. It's also the band name for the Canadian musician Gordon Peterson who released the amazing album "Big Harvest" in 1989 and has not released an album since.

Photo 73: Indio

Fountain
53394505525_5c6e71bb8a_o.jpg

Two Susie updates in a row? What are we, millionaires? (This in-joke brought to you by RiffTrax.) Time for a trip to the Salton Sea before it completely dries up. The Salton Sea was formed in 1905 from diverted irrigation water. The Salton Sea Hipstapak was introduced 110 years later, in 2015. The description for the Indio film is "Add heat waves that tickle the tips of your prints with this borderless film." I like the effect on the fountain which has colored lights shining in it. The streak through the bottom of the photo is a reflection of a chrome handrail.

Side note: Indio is not just a town in Southern California. It's also the band name for the Canadian musician Gordon Peterson who released the amazing album "Big Harvest" in 1989 and has not released an album since.

Photo 73: Indio

Fountain
View attachment 198706
You are just a wealth of information today. I’ve just woke up and already had a laugh and learned two things! :D

When you're stuck in an office, take a photo in the office. How well will the pinks of Susie get along with the greens of Brunswick 9 from the Australian Fitzroy Hipstapak? Pretty well, actually.

Photo 74: Brunswick 9

Office Chairs
53402973052_8de6c4a6f9_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom