Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

Populuxe

MobiAddict
Real Name
Kent Kangley
Device
iPhone15
The Susie lens was first introduced in the We Heart Boobies Goodpak and later included in Retropak Two. With its heavy pink tint, overexposure and desaturation, it is one of the most difficult lenses to get a good photo with in the Hipstamatic catalog. So I’ve decided to do a photo-a-day project using only the Susie lens, pairing it up with a different film each day. I want to see if I can figure out how to best use it.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I am going alphabetically.

Photo 1: no film

Lake Washington looking north to Seattle.
ECFF3832-063D-4C2D-B3A0-DA3C1BC42494.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool idea, the size of the Hipstamatic connection means that 90% of the gear goes unused in a regular basis, unless I make a determined effort to explore it. I have my favourites, but rarely move away from them.

The Susie lens was first introduced in the We Heart Boobies Goodpak and later included in Retropak Two. With its heavy pink tint, overexposure and desaturation, it is one of the most difficult lenses to use properly in the Hipstamatic catalog. So I’ve decided to do a photo-a-day project using only the Susie lens, pairing it up with a different film each day. I want to see if I can figure out how to best use it.

View attachment 180257
Great idea. I can’t wait to see this thread emerge.

Do you find that photography helps with the symptoms of depression?
It certainly doesn't hurt. Getting out of the house is good therapy just on its own. I really do enjoy photography but my depression is constantly telling me it's not worth it, don't bother sharing your photos no one's going to like them, just sit at home and watch YouTube vids. But then when I do share a photo for the first time in months, it wins the monthly B/W challenge. So I know depression is lying to me and this is my way of fighting back.

Also there is a real positivity to this site that really helps me. I appreciate every positive comment and like because I know people are being genuine about their praise.

Last edited:
The Susie lens was first introduced in the We Heart Boobies Goodpak and later included in Retropak Two. With its heavy pink tint, overexposure and desaturation, it is one of the most difficult lenses to get a good photo with in the Hipstamatic catalog. So I’ve decided to do a photo-a-day project using only the Susie lens, pairing it up with a different film each day. I want to see if I can figure out how to best use it.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I am going alphabetically.

View attachment 180257
I love this project! What a great idea… I always hated Susie, so this will be interesting to see what she pairs well with.

And, I actually rather like the dreamy quality of this one.

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't hurt. Getting out of the house is good therapy just on its own. I really do enjoy photography but my depression is constantly telling me it's not worth it, don't bother sharing your photos no one's going to like them, just sit at home and watch YouTube vids. But then when I do share a photo for the first time in months, it wins the monthly B/W challenge. So I know depression is lying to me and this is my way of fighting back.

Also there is a real positivity to this site that really helps me. I appreciate every positive comment and like because I know people are being genuine about their praise.
Kent, thank you for sharing… I’m so glad that this space can be a positive place for you. I love seeing your images and am excited about this project. :)

Oh it certainly is lying and deceiving you greatly, but thats the nature of the beast unfortunately. Youtube can be equally distracting too. Grab that camera and show us your view of the world Kent, its fascinating and insightful and all your work is always professional and award winning. Stick one to the man and hit us with a MOC 279 Selfie!

Excellent, can you get more than one in a shot? Be interesting to see
I can certainly do that.

In the meantime, I've already goofed. My last photo said it was with the Abbot K20 film when in fact it was the A-Type Plate. Thankfully I realized my mistake 14 minutes before the 24 hour time limit for editing posts expired.

Photo 4: Abbot K20 film

Foot Bridge over the Green River
52067553315_9d85003293_o.jpg

I can certainly do that.

In the meantime, I've already goofed. My last photo said it was with the Abbot K20 film when in fact it was the A-Type Plate. Thankfully I realized my mistake 14 minutes before the 24 hour time limit for editing posts expired.

View attachment 180379
Its easily done, I did the same thing with the May pak shots! Love these bridge shots, the sunbleached colour is fab!

I tried an indoor shot. Fortunately there was plenty of late afternoon light coming in from the left. It's all natural light, too. Not a single interior light is on.

Photo 5: Acme LT film

Working
View attachment 180414
That is an interesting lamp! I like the squiggles - did they come from the film?

That is an interesting lamp! I like the squiggles - did they come from the film?
If you've seen A Christmas Story, then you'll recognize it as a miniature version of the Fra-Ji-Lay lamp, the prize for winning a Major Award.
The squiggles are from the lens.

Sweet shot - very atmospheric - the hat makes it.
Thank you. He's bald under there, so he wears a fedora in the summer and a toque in the winter.

I work the second shift, so a lot of these photos are going to be in later afternoon sunlight, like this photo of a box truck that belongs to one of our drivers. I tried to get low to give it a more monumental look, but at my age, there's only so far I can bend down anymore.

Photo 6: Alfred Infrared film

Box Truck
52071460003_bc57ca0ca9_o.jpg

I can certainly do that.

View attachment 180379
Great shot…. the image has a wonderful retro vibe… like a snapshot from someone’s family vacation.

I tried an indoor shot. Fortunately there was plenty of late afternoon light coming in from the left. It's all natural light, too. Not a single interior light is on.

Photo 5: Acme LT film

Working
View attachment 180414
I absolutely love this scene! And that desk lamp is fabulous. I think Susie is brilliant here.

If you've seen A Christmas Story, then you'll recognize it as a miniature version of the Fra-Ji-Lay lamp, the prize for winning a Major Award.
The squiggles are from the lens.

Thank you. He's bald under there, so he wears a fedora in the summer and a toque in the winter.

I work the second shift, so a lot of these photos are going to be in later afternoon sunlight, like this photo of a box truck that belongs to one of our drivers. I tried to get low to give it a more monumental look, but at my age, there's only so far I can bend down anymore.

Photo 6: Alfred Infrared film

Box Truck
View attachment 180454
I have a similar problem Kent, I see a low shot, get myself down on the deck and find I can't get up as gracefully as i'd like!

Back
Top Bottom