Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

A lovely little oval-window VW Beetle I photographed at a friendly neighborhood car show from The Before Times. Just for fun, I decided to see what adding a flash would do to Susie. Most muddy it up even more, but I was surprised by how much the Jolly Rainbo 2X flash almost completely wipes out the Susie effect.

Photo 12: Big Easy Film

Volkswagen Beetle (without flash)
View attachment 180729

Volkswagen Beetle (with flash)
View attachment 180730
If you were to slap a polaroid frame around that it would be PERFECT for the current color challenge. Just saying.

Time to see how Susie reacts to the heavy color saturation of the Big Up film. Once again I experimented with flashes. While the result isn't quite so dramatic as yesterday, it's fascinating to see what it does to Big Up's border, one of it's most trademark features.

Photo 13: Big Up film

Heron at the Beach
52088215489_9dbf64cce8_o.jpg

(with Apollo flash)
52087996788_b74aaeb980_o.jpg

Time to see how Susie reacts to the heavy color saturation of the Big Up film. Once again I experimented with flashes. While the result isn't quite so dramatic as yesterday, it's fascinating to see what it does to Big Up's border, one of it's most trademark features.

Photo 13: Big Up film

Heron at the Beach
View attachment 180770

(with Apollo flash)
View attachment 180769
Thought it said 'Hero of the Beach' then, I was looking for Flex Mentallo!

A lovely little oval-window VW Beetle I photographed at a friendly neighborhood car show from The Before Times. Just for fun, I decided to see what adding a flash would do to Susie. Most muddy it up even more, but I was surprised by how much the Jolly Rainbo 2X flash almost completely wipes out the Susie effect.

Photo 12: Big Easy Film

Volkswagen Beetle (without flash)
View attachment 180729

Volkswagen Beetle (with flash)
View attachment 180730
Wow, that’s a great discovery!! (The combo and this fab Beetle :hearteyes:)

Wow, that’s a great discovery!! (The combo and this fab Beetle :hearteyes:)
Thank you. I think I’ll keep experimenting with the flashes. I really haven’t used them much at all, so this will be a learning experience.

I’ve been fortunate to have visited Japan twice, in 2010 and 2017, thanks to my best friend who was living there at the time. This is a view of Shinko Island in Yokohama Bay from the observation deck of the Landmark Tower. The Nissin Instant Ramen Museum is on Shinko. It’s actually a lot of fun. You can even make your own ramen there.

I really like how BlacKeys 1942 works with Susie here. It has a wonderful vintage feel. The Triple Crown flash sharpens it up nicely.

Photo 14: BlacKeys 1942

Shinko Island
60020C8E-52FD-4AD2-B1DF-8C1B6168E303.jpeg

with Triple Crown flash
CEAE2A4E-9B22-4E70-A04B-DAB202195286.jpeg

Thank you. I think I’ll keep experimenting with the flashes. I really haven’t used them much at all, so this will be a learning experience.

I’ve been fortunate to have visited Japan twice, in 2010 and 2017, thanks to my best friend who was living there at the time. This is a view of Shinko Island in Yokohama Bay from the observation deck of the Landmark Tower. The Nissin Instant Ramen Museum is on Shinko. It’s actually a lot of fun. You can even make your own ramen there.

I really like how BlacKeys 1942 works with Susie here. It has a wonderful vintage feel. The Triple Crown flash sharpens it up nicely.

Shinko Island
View attachment 180805

with Triple Crown flash
View attachment 180806
That’s incredible. If I didn’t know better I’d say this was taken in the 50s from a plane.

Shinko Island
View attachment 180805

with Triple Crown flash
View attachment 180806
The 2nd one with flash adds a bit more detail, love it.

I’m still a little annoyed at Hipstamatic for giving up on the original Disposable app. I sunk good money into those films, only for it to turn crashtastic and then get deleted. Fortunately at least a few of the films made the jump to the regular Hipstamatic, including today’s film. BlacKeys 44 is easily my favorite BW film from Hipsta. It doesn’t try to do anything except be a good solid dependable black and white film. No flash alternative today because it really doesn’t add anything.

Day 15: BlacKeys 44

Northwests Oldest Surf and Skate Shop est 1976
CEAE653D-DF86-45C3-9601-BDDC11AF5FE4.jpeg

Edit: I must have been more tired yesterday than I thought. I had this entire post written and ready to go, but then forgot to hit the “post reply” button.

It's the least black and white of Hipstamatic's black and white films. It's really a heavily desaturated color film. Even so, it's a fun one. I saw this little ex-postal van pulled up by the local grocery store, feeding the homeless who gather there. I've always like these kinds of small walk-in delivery vans. I've always wanted one that I could convert into a tiny camper van that I could travel the country in. The only thing holding me up IS ALL THE MONEY IT WOULD TAKE TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. Ahem. Getting back on track, it's fascinating how the deep green of the van still manages to punch through both the film's desaturation and Susie's pink overlay. Using the Pop Rox flash makes the colors even more obvious.

Day 16: BlacKeys B+W
52095200013_5ec51763dc_o.jpg

with Pop Rox flash
52094153132_592685fbdf_o.jpg

It's the least black and white of Hipstamatic's black and white films. It's really a heavily desaturated color film. Even so, it's a fun one. I saw this little ex-postal van pulled up by the local grocery store, feeding the homeless who gather there. I've always like these kinds of small walk-in delivery vans. I've always wanted one that I could convert into a tiny camper van that I could travel the country in. The only thing holding me up IS ALL THE MONEY IT WOULD TAKE TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. Ahem. Getting back on track, it's fascinating how the deep green of the van still manages to punch through both the film's desaturation and Susie's pink overlay. Using the Pop Rox flash makes the colors even more obvious.

Day 16: BlacKeys B+W
View attachment 180900

with Pop Rox flash
View attachment 180899
Thats one cool little van, bit of a Hot Wheels vibe going on there. 'Disposable'? Thats a new one on me, is that pre Hipstamatic, or another one that ran alongside like Hipsta X? I'm hoping they don't ditch the main app in favour of the cashgrabbing X version.

Thats one cool little van, bit of a Hot Wheels vibe going on there. 'Disposable'? Thats a new one on me, is that pre Hipstamatic, or another one that ran alongside like Hipsta X? I'm hoping they don't ditch the main app in favour of the cashgrabbing X version.
It’s an old app from ten years ago.
It was an interesting app. For one you could share it with your Facebook friends. start a roll, invite your friends who also have the Disposable app, and everyone’s photos would show up on the same roll. You couldn’t see the photos until all 24 photos have been taken. Then everyone in the roll could see them. The app was free but you had to buy the film, which a lot of people didn’t like. The D-Series retropak https://gear.hipstamatic.com/retropaks/pak_retrods feature lenses and films based on the original Disposable app. There were ten films, can’t remember what the other four were.

It’s an old app from ten years ago.
It was an interesting app. For one you could share it with your Facebook friends. start a roll, invite your friends who also have the Disposable app, and everyone’s photos would show up on the same roll. You couldn’t see the photos until all 24 photos have been taken. Then everyone in the roll could see them. The app was free but you had to buy the film, which a lot of people didn’t like. The D-Series retropak https://gear.hipstamatic.com/retropaks/pak_retrods feature lenses and films based on the original Disposable app. There were ten films, can’t remember what the other four were.
Sounds like a cool idea, the joint shareability. For ios 4.3! God that dates it.

Another photo from my last trip to Japan. It's a tradition in Japan to make a visit to the local shrine during the New Year. It's called Hatsumode, literally "first visit." I visited Kawasaki Daishi, a large temple in Yokohama. I still wear a beaded wrist band I got there at the time. I love Black and White Infrared films. They create black skies that give the photos an extra layer of drama. Although Susie lightens the sky, it gives it a slightly ghostly effect I like. Jolly Rainbox 2X adds back that black sky effect.

Day 17: BlacKeys IR

Hatsumode at Kawasaki Daishi
52097547273_4c3f651078_o.jpg

with Jolly Rainbo 2X flash
52098021530_8c037a416e_o.jpg

Another photo from my last trip to Japan. It's a tradition in Japan to make a visit to the local shrine during the New Year. It's called Hatsumode, literally "first visit." I visited Kawasaki Daishi, a large temple in Yokohama. I still wear a beaded wrist band I got there at the time. I love Black and White Infrared films. They create black skies that give the photos an extra layer of drama. Although Susie lightens the sky, it gives it a slightly ghostly effect I like. Jolly Rainbox 2X adds back that black sky effect.

Day 17: BlacKeys IR

Hatsumode at Kawasaki Daishi
View attachment 180923

with Jolly Rainbo 2X flash
View attachment 180924
Wow - ssooooo jealous. japan is on my bucket list, but I seriously doubt ill ever get there. Both these interpretations are great, but for different reasons. I rarely use flashes on Hipsta photos, as I didn't realise they could have such a profound effect. The top one has that col retro fifties vibe, but the lower one is really punchy.

Wow - ssooooo jealous. japan is on my bucket list, but I seriously doubt ill ever get there. Both these interpretations are great, but for different reasons. I rarely use flashes on Hipsta photos, as I didn't realise they could have such a profound effect. The top one has that col retro fifties vibe, but the lower one is really punchy.
I got to go at the end of our 3 years in Hong Kong. I found it quite disappointing. Maybe it was because it had been so hyped up by friends who had gone. Maybe most people didn’t see what we saw. I spent a lot of time on bullet trains looking out of the window and thinking how ugly many of the concrete suburbs were and the steel pipes and bridges over the rivers that crisscrossed the otherwise pretty countryside. I was also disappointed to learn that many of the ’ancient’ wooden buildings were actually reconstructions because the vast majority of wooden buildings were destroyed by fire over the years. Admittedly I didn’t see the North. These pictures are my overriding memory of Japan despite seeing the fabulous blossoms and haunting Hiroshima. https://mobitog.com/media/albums/japan.932/

I got to go at the end of our 3 years in Hong Kong. I found it quite disappointing. Maybe it was because it had been so hyped up by friends who had gone. Maybe most people didn’t see what we saw. I spent a lot of time on bullet trains looking out of the window and thinking how ugly many of the concrete suburbs were and the steel pipes and bridges over the rivers that crisscrossed the otherwise pretty countryside. I was also disappointed to learn that many of the ’ancient’ wooden buildings were actually reconstructions because the vast majority of wooden buildings were destroyed by fire over the years. Admittedly I didn’t see the North. These pictures are my overriding memory of Japan despite seeing the fabulous blossoms and haunting Hiroshima. https://mobitog.com/media/albums/japan.932/
Well admittedly, my perception of the country is viewed thru rose tinted glasses, most recently by posts on photo streams on instagram, or film. Not sure I would like to see Hiroshima, I visited Auschwitz and Birkenau a few years ago and that left me scarred. Still, as I say, Japan will remain remote and alien to me, aside from vicarious insights thru Instagram etc.

Shinko Island
View attachment 180805

with Triple Crown flash
View attachment 180806
Love these.

Back
Top Bottom