Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

This is Jimi Hendrix's memorial and burial place at the Greenwood Memorial Park Cemetery in Renton WA just a few miles from my home. This is the second place in the cemetery he was buried. Up until almost 20 years ago, Jimi's grave was marked by a simple stone marker in the ground, just like the vast majority of the others buried there. The only problem was that grass couldn't grow around his plot because of how many thousands of visitors he got each year. The Delaunay 1941 film is from the Cubism Snappak, and you can see that Susie's pink streaks are now much blockier.

Photo 46: Delaunay 1941

Jimi Hendrix Memorial
52167909407_e39715f34d_o.jpg

Last edited:
Last one for today and now I'm all caught up. I got a little arty here. This was from when I worked at a grocery store and photographed items for sales materials. Dixie seems to smooth out Susie's streakiness.

Photo 47: Dixie

Corn
52168940533_6cbca84e2e_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is Jimi Hendrix's memorial and burial place at the Greenwood Memorial Park Cemetery in Renton WA just a few miles from my home. This is the second place in the cemetery he was buried. Up until a almost 20 years ago, Jimi's grave was marked by a simple stone marker in the ground, just like the vast majority of the others buried there. The only problem was that grass couldn't grow around his plot because of how many thousands of visitors he got each year. The Delaunay 1941 film is from the Cubism Snappak, and you can see that Susie's pink streaks are now much blockier.

Photo 46: Delaunay 1941

Jimi Hendrix Memorial
View attachment 182175
a distinct Purple Haze there..

I'm all caught up, so just one today. Djamma Film is from the Iceland-based Höfn Hipstapak. I like the way Djamma's warm mid-tones tame a bit of Susie's pink excesses but also makes the orange fall leaves pop.

Photo 48: Djamma

Busking at the Safeway
52171285654_762f122924_o.jpg

Here’s another iconic Seattle eatery: Dick’s Drive-In. Founded in the Wallingford neighborhood in 1954, there are currently eight locations in the region. This is the second Dick’s, opened in 1955 on Broadway on Capitol Hill. There is no drive-thru or indoor seating. Just walk up, order your food and eat it there. There’s always a crowd, but the service is fast and the burgers worth it. Not just a good restaurant, it’s a good restaurant. They offer all employees 401(k) savings, 100% employer paid health insurance, and a $22k college scholarship for anyone who works there for six months or more.

Photo 49: DreamCanvas

Dick’s Drive-In
1F1E025A-F617-4CF9-9C0F-13D451F1AB17.jpeg

It’s a shame my iPod Touch doesn’t show you just how close and large Mount Rainier actually is in this photo. It’s impressive how much the Dreamy film simply cancels out Susie’s effect. Dreamy is one of the D-series films and lenses that brought back effects from the original and long discontinued Disposable camera.

Photo 50: Dreamy

Green River Valley
1F19A298-D6DB-4AF4-8839-F17FDA5C1ADF.jpeg

It’s a shame my iPod Touch doesn’t show you just how close and large Mount Rainier actually is in this photo. It’s impressive how much the Dreamy film simply cancels out Susie’s effect. Dreamy is one of the D-series films and lenses that brought back effects from the original and long discontinued Disposable camera.

Photo 50: Dreamy

Green River Valley
View attachment 182316
definitely one for the travelogue thread

Just a little pop up street fair in my hometown. Dylan is from the Groupie Snappak. It has a sun-bleached effect that works great here. PopRox is from the same pack. The flash is rather strong since it's meant for indoor lighting, but it's very nice with this well-lit outdoor photo as well.

Photo 51: Dylan

Street Fair
52178761074_b7e91461ed_o.jpg

with PopRox flash
52178767924_f60db5ba21_o.jpg

Yakima Peak is on the crest of the Cascade Mountains, just north of Tipsoo Lake. It's easily accessible via WA Highway 410. Go when the snow has melted and the flowers erupt in an explosion of color during the short summer months. As you can see, the lunar-themed Eagle 69 surrenders to Susie without a fight. The Triple Crown Flash knocks back a bit of Susie's excesses, even revealing a bit of blue color burn down the right side. Pop Rox goes even further, completely eliminating the effects of the Susie filter, so I went with Triple Crown instead. I don't want to eliminate Susie. I want to find interesting ways of using Susie.

Photo 52: Eagle 69

Yakima Peak
52180934916_62fefd0ac9_o.jpg

with Triple Crown flash
52179942327_a455a7466c_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yakima Peak is on the crest of the Cascade Mountains, just north of Tipsoo Lake. It's easily accessible via WA Highway 410. Go when the snow has melted and the flowers erupt in an explosion of color during the short summer months. As you can see, the lunar-themed Eagle 69 surrenders to Susie without a fight. The Triple Crown Flash knocks back a bit of Susie's excesses, even revealing a bit of blue color burn down the right side. Pop Rox goes even further, completely eliminating the effects of the Susie filter, so I went with Triple Crown instead. I don't want to eliminate Susie. I want to find interesting ways of using Susie.

Photo 52: Eagle 69

Yakima Peak
View attachment 182407

with Triple Crown flash
View attachment 182408
What a stunning view. It must be pretty impressive with snow on its shoulders too. I'd like to see it without Susie, just to get the full effect

Just a photo of late afternoon light on a couple of trees. Estrada 83 is from the Jalisco Hipstapak. The water streaks and contrast work well with Susie.

Photo 53: Estrada 83

Trees
52184564077_5f64f0c226_o.jpg

Continuing further north in the Cascade Mountains, here’s Mount Baker as seen from Picture Lake. I think you can figure out how the lake got its name. Float is an old favorite from the Shibuya Hipstapak. It’s probably one of the most distinctive films in their entire catalog featuring heavy desaturation and what appears to be a through-the-viewfinder effect. Despite the fact that Float is a film, the effect makes it appear as if like we’re looking through a dirty, cracked and yellowed plastic lens. The effect is retro toy camera cool. Since the Berrypop flash comes in the Shibuya pack, I included a version with that as well. (Not seen is the highway behind me packed with parked cars on both sides of the road and the approximately three dozen people surrounding me taking exactly the same photo.)

Photo 55: フロート (furohto aka Float)

Mount Baker from Picture Lake
0FECF0E7-7A9E-42B9-B165-119BFBCEC639.jpeg

With Berrypop flash
FA2DEFEA-EA20-4E98-B6B6-7912AAFFD2A1.jpeg

original
36B63FE7-5F88-4AB3-AD84-E3EF06BC7805.jpeg

Last edited:
Continuing further north in the Cascade Mountains, here’s Mount Baker as seen from Picture Lake. I think you can figure out how the lake got its name. Float is an old favorite from the Shibuya Hipstapak. It’s probably one of the most distinctive films in their entire catalog featuring heavy desaturation and what appears to be a through-the-viewfinder effect. Despite the fact that Float is a film, the effect makes it appear as if like we’re looking through a dirty, cracked and yellowed plastic lens. The effect is retro toy camera cool. Since the Berrypop flash comes in the Shibuya pack, I included a version with that as well. (Not seen is the highway behind me packed with parked cars on both sides of the road and the approximately three dozen people surrounding me taking exactly the same photo.)

View attachment 182548

With Berrypop flash
View attachment 182546

original
View attachment 182547
Picture postcard perfect. Love that second shot

What Bill said about the second shot.

And I can see there’s a lot to be said for working patiently through all possible combinations: I’ve never liked the Susie filter, but some of your images have me taking a second look.

View attachment 182548

With Berrypop flash
View attachment 182546

original
View attachment 182547
Yet another Pak that has passed me by for some reason. Just been back and bought it in lieu of any new content this Friday from Hipsta.

Honestly, Florida Man is one of my least favorite films. I’m somewhat surprised by how much it negates the effects of Susie.

Photo 57: Florida Man 1911

1959 Pontiac Catalina coupe
52197223073_c142831dd7_o.jpg

original
52197220408_700db010f4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom