Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

This is Lake Tipsoo, a little lake in the crest of Chinook Pass in the Cascade Mountains. Most of the year it’s covered under several feet of snow, but during a few months in the summer, it all melts. The Alpine meadow that surrounds it thrives, flowers bloom, and people drive from everywhere to take it all in. The views are spectacular. All of Western Washington stretches out on one side, Eastern Washington on the other. Three months later the snows return, the lake gets covered, and the highway is closed until next spring.

Photo 58: Four Minarets

Lake Tipsoo
A7100C5E-B3E8-48DC-886F-169ABDAD60C4.jpeg

original
7223D35F-7B11-4A40-8BC9-279824292E99.jpeg

Last edited:
This is Lake Tipsoo, a little lake in the crest of Chinook Pass in the Cascade Mountains. Most of the year it’s covered under several feet of snow, but during a few months in the summer, it all melts. The Alpine meadow that surrounds it thrives, flowers bloom, and people drive from everywhere to take it all in. The views are spectacular. All of Western Washington stretches out on one side, Eastern Washington on the other. Three months later the snows return, the lake gets covered, and the highway is closed until next spring.

Photo 58: Four Minarets

Lake Tipsoo
View attachment 182739
I hope this is taken correctly but I’ve been looking at a lot of your images while struck down with covid. I have to say a Lot of hipsta has not done your photographic work justice at all. I’m seeing some stunning imagery which has been leashed by the effects. I understand your experimenting with them but honestly, I’d love to see two photos for every image, a hipsta version AND normal version.

I hope this is taken correctly but I’ve been looking at a lot of your images while struck down with covid. I have to say a Lot of hipsta has not done your photographic work justice at all. I’m seeing some stunning imagery which has been leashed by the effects. I understand your experimenting with them but honestly, I’d love to see two photos for every image, a hipsta version AND normal version.
You should check out Kents other thread too: https://mobitog.com/threads/populux...achelor-pad-mobile-photography-roundup.24231/ - Gorgeous travelogue work!

ric alexander don‘t worry, I get what you’re saying, and WOTANICUS thank you for promoting my photo thread (which, honestly, I should be posting to more often.) I’m kinda this way and that about putting the original photo in this thread. I only meant this for a fun photo-a-day thread with an extra degree of difficulty. Including the original photo isn’t a problem, but then again, I should really be posting the originals in my regular photo thread.

Thank you both. Here’s the original photo.
View attachment 182419

Continuing further north in the Cascade Mountains, here’s Mount Baker as seen from Picture Lake. I think you can figure out how the lake got its name. Float is an old favorite from the Shibuya Hipstapak. It’s probably one of the most distinctive films in their entire catalog featuring heavy desaturation and what appears to be a through-the-viewfinder effect. Despite the fact that Float is a film, the effect makes it appear as if like we’re looking through a dirty, cracked and yellowed plastic lens. The effect is retro toy camera cool. Since the Berrypop flash comes in the Shibuya pack, I included a version with that as well. (Not seen is the highway behind me packed with parked cars on both sides of the road and the approximately three dozen people surrounding me taking exactly the same photo.)

Photo 55: フロート (furohto aka Float)

Mount Baker from Picture Lake
View attachment 182548

With Berrypop flash
View attachment 182546

original
View attachment 182547
Gorgeous places. I keep wishing I lived farther north as “all the places” are such a long drive for me. It feels a bit overwhelming to have 4 hours of driving in one day to be able to visit these spots. :(

Gorgeous places. I keep wishing I lived farther north as “all the places” are such a long drive for me. It feels a bit overwhelming to have 4 hours of driving in one day to be able to visit these spots. :(
Honestly, it's worth taking a day to visit some of these places. They're experiences you won't forget.

You all remember the song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba? It was a massive hit back in 1997. The band ended in 2012 after 30 years together. One of the band members, drummer, guitarist and vocalist Danbert Nobacon, moved to Washington State. He's now a music teacher in the small town of Twisp in the north Cascade Mountains. Every once in a while he comes in to Seattle to perform. This was taken at the Left Bank Book Cooperative in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Not just him, there were several young artists on the bill. He actually came in early to listen to the other singers perform. I was standing next to him the whole time and didn't even realize it until he finally went up to the "stage" aka "corner of the store" to do his set. Nobacon was charming and gracious, very funny with a lot of great stories about the music biz. It was a great time in a very intimate setting.

Although Frutiger from the Basel Hipstapak is a black and white film, it comes with a splash of color inspired by something called the International Type Style. It can be turned off like a border. Susie really blows out the light, but adding the Pop Rox flash gets it under control again. Admittedly, the original photo is already a bit overblown due to harsh light shining on Nobacon's bald head.

Photo 59: Frutiger

Danbert Nobacon at Left Bank Books
52197289714_f6ff4f9d09_o.jpg

with Pop Rox flash
52197289724_eed8fe95c7_o.jpg

Original
52197539905_60bb1340c7_o.jpg

Honestly, it's worth taking a day to visit some of these places. They're experiences you won't forget.

You all remember the song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba? It was a massive hit back in 1997. The band ended in 2012 after 30 years together. One of the band members, drummer, guitarist and vocalist Danbert Nobacon, moved to Washington State. He's now a music teacher in the small town of Twisp in the north Cascade Mountains. Every once in a while he comes in to Seattle to perform. This was taken at the Left Bank Book Cooperative in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Not just him, there were several young artists on the bill. He actually came in early to listen to the other singers perform. I was standing next to him the whole time and didn't even realize it until he finally went up to the "stage" aka "corner of the store" to do his set. Nobacon was charming and gracious, very funny with a lot of great stories about the music biz. It was a great time in a very intimate setting.

Although Frutiger from the Basel Hipstapak is a black and white film, it comes with a splash of color inspired by something called the International Type Style. It can be turned off like a border. Susie really blows out the light, but adding the Pop Rox flash gets it under control again. Admittedly, the original photo is already a bit overblown due to harsh light shining on Nobacon's bald head.

Photo 59: Frutiger

Danbert Nobacon at Left Bank Books
View attachment 182786

with Pop Rox flash
View attachment 182785

Original
View attachment 182784
What a great story :thumbs:

I want to live in a town called 'Twisp'. Period.
All right-thinking people do.

I've been fortunate to visit Japan twice, once in 2010, again in 2017. I don't have the money to travel like that. However, my best friend lived and worked in Japan for several years, and he was the one to pay for my trips. This photo is from the more recent visit. We stopped by the Nissan Museum while out for a walk in Yokohama. Actual cars and model cars were on display. I tried the Spiro Gel Flash on it as well, just out of curiosity's sake.

Photo 60: Funktown

Nissan Museum, Tokyo
52199632099_0d656f7593_o.jpg

with Spiro Gel Flash
52199858160_e8a79e4a8b_o.jpg

Original
52197068233_b146ddc2ed_o.jpg

Populuxe Hey Kent! I hope you’re doing well… I’ve missed seeing your wonderful images and hoping to encourage you to pop in. :coffee: The site has undergone a few tweaks, so maybe browse around and let us know your thoughts. Hope to see you soon! :)

It's been a minute, hasn't it? I think I'd like to continue this thread. Since I'm doing this alphabetically, I need to go back and find the ones that have come out in the last few months that should be here already. Aecus 6 came out in the Aegina Hipstapak. It's description: "With light bursts coming from unexpected angles and a strong grain pattern, this film perfectly compliments your summer photos." What does Susie think about that? In typical Susie fashion, she nearly overwhelms the film. I like the grain. It's not a bad combo.

Photo 61: Aegis 6

Safety
52923449706_e0d652063e_o.jpg

It's been a minute, hasn't it? I think I'd like to continue this thread. Since I'm doing this alphabetically, I need to go back and find the ones that have come out in the last few months that should be here already. Aecus 6 came out in the Aegina Hipstapak. It's description: "With light bursts coming from unexpected angles and a strong grain pattern, this film perfectly compliments your summer photos." What does Susie think about that? In typical Susie fashion, she nearly overwhelms the film. I like the grain. It's not a bad combo.

Safety
View attachment 192854
Glad to see you back in the swing!!! looking forward to more! Great idea, incidentally, one lens with different films. I’ll have to go back and study what you have so far!

Bells 90 is from the Australian Torquay Hipstapak. The description is: "Adding a subtle burn to the edge of your prints, this southern film is clean and simple. Made in Australia." I like the edge burns. Susie's pinks and Bell 90's blues work well together.

Photo 62: Bells 90

Abandoned Fire House

52925412796_f21117af56_o.jpg

Susie Does Pittsburgh: The Butler 1814 film is from the Lawrenceville Hipstapak. The description is: “A high contrast film that contains very little color pigment, this unique gear was made in Pittsburgh.” So not exactly black and white, but heavily desaturated. For some reason, I love desaturated films. While Susie does her usual job of knocking the highlights out of this film, the film manages to stand its ground. Together they make a nicely atmospheric landscape.

Photo 63: Butler 1814

Lake Washington
E10C26DC-03CB-43AD-B4F8-2ECF22F7A0DD.jpeg

I’m just going to ignore that I just realized I already used Aegis 6 as Photo 56, making Photo 61 a duplicate. It’s not going to bother me that this screws up the numbering. Not concerned at all. [Sound of door opening and closing. Muffled sounds of things crashing and breaking. Sound of door opening and closing] Today’s photo uses the Gongbi film from the Shanghai Hipstapak. The film’s description: “Enhance your image with painterly edges and saturated color shifts using this robust film.” Susie fits right in here.

Photo 64: Gongbi film

Electric Pole
F03A4CFE-F778-4229-B05F-0659D72FCF8D.jpeg

Safety
View attachment 192854
Great to see you back here, Kent!

Susie Does Pittsburgh: The Butler 1814 film is from the Lawrenceville Hipstapak. The description is: “A high contrast film that contains very little color pigment, this unique gear was made in Pittsburgh.” So not exactly black and white, but heavily desaturated. For some reason, I love desaturated films. While Susie does her usual job of knocking the highlights out of this film, the film manages to stand its ground. Together they make a nicely atmospheric landscape.

Photo 63: Butler 1814

Lake Washington
View attachment 192913
Ooooo…. I like this one a lot. Love the subtle lavender/mauve tones, and the soft moodiness.

I’m just going to ignore that I just realized I already used Aegis 6 as Photo 56, making Photo 61 a duplicate. It’s not going to bother me that this screws up the numbering. Not concerned at all. [Sound of door opening and closing. Muffled sounds of things crashing and breaking. Sound of door opening and closing]
:lmao: Bring a tad bit OCD :whistle: i can totally relate!
Love the image, too. Works quite well!

Back
Top Bottom