IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22, Mar 24
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
Okay, chaps, any help with my Android would be much appreciated. If I'm gonna give it a proper go I need to immerse myself in it.

So would like some advise on:
1. Best browser
2. Best todo list (does not seem to have one as standard)
3. Best mail app - I don't find the standard app very clear
4. Any app you couldn't do without (have Snapseed of course)

One thing that I like about the iPhone is generally it seems more difficult to hack. Is this a misnomer or are there things I need to know about keeping it secure. Muchas Gracias.

I use Firefox on privacy grounds and habit for my browser.
Apps I can't live without are:
Podkicker for podcasts.
MX player for video.
Asus file manager as it lets me connect to my pc over the Wi-Fi. I'm sure others do but it's both simple and has powerful features.

Not sure hacking is a big issue. I think stick to sensible behaviour like you would on any internet connected device and you'll be fine. You know, like don't click on links in emails from people you don't recognise. Don't click links on dodgy websites. Install an adblocker in your browser. That sort of thing.

I'm aware apps can be a vector for malware but Google are pretty good at squashing them when they're found.

For me a bigger issue is the data harvesting that a lot of apps do, which I believe is a much smaller problem for iPhones. Google is first an advertising company so it's to their advantage to create a rich data harvesting ecosystem.

Personally I dont even use the google play store or set up a Google account on my phone but I know I'm probably a bit special that way. I use apkpure.com should you be interested.

I use Firefox on privacy grounds and habit for my browser.
Apps I can't live without are:
Podkicker for podcasts.
MX player for video.
Asus file manager as it lets me connect to my pc over the Wi-Fi. I'm sure others do but it's both simple and has powerful features.

Not sure hacking is a big issue. I think stick to sensible behaviour like you would on any internet connected device and you'll be fine. You know, like don't click on links in emails from people you don't recognise. Don't click links on dodgy websites. Install an adblocker in your browser. That sort of thing.

I'm aware apps can be a vector for malware but Google are pretty good at squashing them when they're found.

For me a bigger issue is the data harvesting that a lot of apps do, which I believe is a much smaller problem for iPhones. Google is first an advertising company so it's to their advantage to create a rich data harvesting ecosystem.

Personally I dont even use the google play store or set up a Google account on my phone but I know I'm probably a bit special that way. I use apkpure.com should you be interested.
Thanks for that, Rizole. Geez, every time I need to activate a Huawei app, I seem to need to give my life away!

So what do you do if you need to pay for something? Can you still do that through apkpure.com?

Thanks for that, Rizole. Geez, every time I need to activate a Huawei app, I seem to need to give my life away!

So what do you do if you need to pay for something? Can you still do that through apkpure.com?
I don't think so but so far I've never paid for anything. The upside to a rich data harvesting ecosystem is there's often a free version of most things you could want although that usually means you have to view adverts and sometime the quality isn't great. I like podkicker and MX player because their ads are not in your face or over bearing and they are solid apps, well made.

Apk mirror is a respected alternative to Play. They have their own app that will manage your other apps like play does and I believe you can get paid for stuff there.

Google play is the best of course. Like I said, I'm bit special. :alien:

Does Android offer the ability to limit apps from using such things as location services or other privacy related data?

Does Android offer the ability to limit apps from using such things as location services or other privacy related data?
Yes. Apps need to ask for permissions for access. Unfortunately if you don't grant them some apps won't work at all and others nag you every time you launch them. I'm looking at you Google. Android/google can be a bit naggy. I only need to be told Google maps works better with location services turned on and listening at high volumes can damage my hearing once.

Yes. Apps need to ask for permissions for access. Unfortunately if you don't grant them some apps won't work at all and others nag you every time you launch them. I'm looking at you Google. Android/google can be a bit naggy. I only need to be told Google maps works better with location services turned on and listening at high volumes can damage my hearing once.
I’m definitely experiencing that!

So,
1. Best browser - I use Chrome
2. Best todo list - don't use one, but I do use either Google Keep or Microsoft One Note
3. Best mail app - again I use Gmail but the Samsung client works ok.
4. Any app you couldn't do without - tricky as this is subjective, I like Vignette for Android (paid) KultCamera (paid), the nearest thing I've found to Hipstamatic on Android. Camera Zoom Fx is handy but not essential and quite a few of the filter type apps like VSCO crossover both systems.

What you may find frustrating is the lack of photographic apps compared to ios Ann, Android is sadly lacking. If you do a search on best photo apps for Android the same ones come up time after time and believe me I've tried them all :D So if you want a quick heads up about an app just ask.
I've only mentioned photo apps I guess, depends on your lifestyle choices on what else you use.

I'd agree (partly) with rizole , Android is no more hackable than iphone, just be sensible what you download i.e. don't use anything from dodgy apk sites ;)

I've already sold my soul to Google, they can have my data for what its worth, I have no qualms about using what it can give me. The free unlimited photo storage, albeit a little compressed, is well worth getting into bed with the big G in my opinion.

Last edited:
So,
1. Best browser - I use Chrome
2. Best todo list - don't use one, but I do use either Google Keep or Microsoft One Note
3. Best mail app - again I use Gmail but the Samsung client works ok.
4. Any app you couldn't do without - tricky as this is subjective, I like Vignette for Android (paid) KultCamera (paid), the nearest thing I've found to Hipstamatic on Android. Camera Zoom Fx is handy but not essential and quite a few of the filter type apps like VSCO crossover both systems.

What you may find frustrating is the lack of photographic apps compared to ios Ann, Android is sadly lacking. If you do a search on best photo apps for Android the same ones come up time after time and believe me I've tried them all :D So if you want a quick heads up about an app just ask.

I'd agree (partly) with rizole , Android is no more hackable than iphone, just be sensible what you download i.e. don't use anything from dodgy apk sites ;)

I've already sold my soul to Google, they can have my data for what its worth, I have no qualms about using what it can give me. The free unlimited photo storage, albeit a little compressed, is well worth getting into bed with the big G in my opinion.
I’ve already made the decision that the iPad will remain my processing device that’s why it isn’t a big deal when it comes to what phone I use. I’ve always been interested in the camera on a phone rather than the phone and the Android file system will be a major advantage when it comes to backing up my images to the PC and managing them on the phone. I’m using the Photo Transfer app to transfer images to the iPad and yes, it takes longer than Airdrop but it’s not a train smash. I’m adapting to the Android OS remarkably quickly. I love the face recognition, the keyboard and file system and I am yet to find a non-photo iPhone app that I miss. It makes me realise how much junk I have on my iPhone. My only regret is that the P20 Pro doesn’t have an SD Card slot for my music and this was the same problem with the iPhone anyway.

In terms of picture editing I always have pixlr, picsart, fragment and toolwiz installed.
Since GDPR came in toolwiz requires you to sacrifice your first born to install it but if you want to evaluate it I can send you an older copy which doesn't no problem.

I’ve already made the decision that the iPad will remain my processing device that’s why it isn’t a big deal when it comes to what phone I use. I’ve always been interested in the camera on a phone rather than the phone and the Android file system will be a major advantage when it comes to backing up my images to the PC and managing them on the phone. I’m using the Photo Transfer app to transfer images to the iPad and yes, it takes longer than Airdrop but it’s not a train smash. I’m adapting to the Android OS remarkably quickly. I love the face recognition, the keyboard and file system and I am yet to find a non-photo iPhone app that I miss. It makes me realise how much junk I have on my iPhone. My only regret is that the P20 Pro doesn’t have an SD Card slot for my music and this was the same problem with the iPhone anyway.
Ahh I have Spotify, so no need for constant uploading of music, that probably is one app I couldn't do without!
I also have an SD Card ;)

As we're on the topic, I'm a bit envious of the Procreate chat on the "Screen time" thread and have started looking at android alternatives.
Autodesk Sketchbook gets a good write up as does Infinite Painter.I think I've tried most of them before but the Appstract thread is whetting my whistle.
Anyone else?

As we're on the topic, I'm a bit envious of the Procreate chat on the "Screen time" thread and have started looking at android alternatives.
Autodesk Sketchbook gets a good write up as does Infinite Painter.I think I've tried most of them before but the Appstract thread is whetting my whistle.
Anyone else?
Not my type of apps sorry, so I can't help.

Anyone else?
I think I have the Sketchbook version for iOS but there has always been other options.

You got me thinking about this. As a erm........mature person I'm often forgetting things :rolleyes:
Do I need a todo or is that to-do list app?? I have Google Keep for notes which I'm fond of, but its not really a to-do thingy.
Lots of apps on the market though :confused:
Well, the Note app on my Android has a to-do list option too I discovered. It’s o-k. Just a bullet list really.

Hi Ann,
here are my favorites:
- Naked Browser Pro / NB Pro web browser (slim, secure, low memory print)
- Omni Notes for quickly taking notes
- Business Calendar (incl. a ToDo list as well)
- F-Stop as gallery
- KeePass DX for keeping my passwords
- Resize Me! Pro for scaling images

I try to use mostly open source stuff if available because I like the idea. I also donate for most of the APPs I use often.
You can find Keepass DX on Google Play or on F-Droid (own app as well) which is an alternative to the Play store.
I find it pretty neat to store my passwords in it.

Hi Ann,
here are my favorites:
- Naked Browser Pro / NB Pro web browser (slim, secure, low memory print)
- Omni Notes for quickly taking notes
- Business Calendar (incl. a ToDo list as well)
- F-Stop as gallery
- KeePass DX for keeping my passwords
- Resize Me! Pro for scaling images

I try to use mostly open source stuff if available because I like the idea. I also donate for most of the APPs I use often.
You can find Keepass DX on Google Play or on F-Droid (own app as well) which is an alternative to the Play store.
I find it pretty neat to store my passwords in it.
Thanks for that! Couple of those I’m interested in.

Back
Top Bottom