HipstaPaks First Friday - Agra HipstaPak

Hipstamatic remains an anomaly among live effects apps in that it cannot provide a preview of the selected combo at the time of composing the photo. I realize it used be able to but since it was so buggy they dropped the live previews. So many other apps CAN provide live previews - why not Hipstamatic? To me, that is the primary area they need to work on.
If you don’t actually know in advance what is going to happen then how can you claim any credit for the results? It becomes a matter of luck, or mostly, lack of luck. You might be able to remember that a particular combo sometimes works well in a given situation but it is still just guessing.
Here’s a fundamental fact of effect apps: it is much easier to degrade the image than it is to improve it.
Not being able to see what the effect will look like before you shoot eliminates your chance to interact with the effect. So many of the effects are localized and their placement can have a big impact on the success of the image. If you were a photo student back in the film days you would be ashamed to show your face in class if your prints were full of dirt, chemically induced fog, and light leaks.
If you can’t see what the effect of the combo will be beforehand then you are not actually participating in a creative process and the app is reduced to providing random results. Either that or it becomes only useful as an editing app. It becomes very important to have that undamaged master image to work from.
I can sort of theoretically imagine that some people like the risk of random results. Or even results that render their time wasted and attempts useless. They say that the gambler is always trying to find out if the gods are smiling upon him/her this day. So many combos destroy highlight detail and if you could see that in advance you could take measures to adjust the exposure to protect the highlights. Or, more likely, if you could see the effect in advance you would say “yuck” and pick another combo.
There is some remote chance that every combo, no matter how weird, may be just right for some situation, if only that situation arises in your lifetime.
Setting Hipsta to automatically shuffle your combos randomly before every shot is photographic roulette. Your photo situation may be fleeting and you rapidly make a number of shots of each subject in hopes that one of them may be interesting. I find that to be a very time wasting and disempowering way to work. Yet occasionally it produces something interesting, even though it was nothing you did that produced the good result.
I’m not a gambler and I prefer to pre-visualize my image and work towards a known goal rather than approach a situation with no idea of what I want and hope some random result might be interesting. Because of that I find Hipstamatic has increasingly become just an editing app for me.
Another thing I don’t like about Hipstamatic is the way it creates the overall impression among people who never used these old processes is that they were all terrible, when in fact most of them produced very good results when use by anyone but the most careless and inept. Another bad thing is that people become conditioned to think burned out highlights or lack of image quality are acceptable. It produces sort of an anti-quality movement.

If you can’t see what the effect of the combo will be beforehand then you are not actually participating in a creative process and the app is reduced to providing random results. Either that or it becomes only useful as an editing app. It becomes very important to have that undamaged master image to work from.
I only shoot with the native camera app... all the other apps I use for post editing. I prefer to do the creative stuff later. I used to shoot with Hipstamatic - but I knew the films/lenses pretty well, and usually always knew the look I wanted so I chose the combo in advance and shot with that for the day. Now since Hipsta can edit images, I would only use it for post editing.

Here we go then, these are straight from the iPhone, no messing and with the original option via Hipstamatic itself... :whistle:

The first pair in each subject taken in Tele mode within Hipstamatic with second in Wide setting... :D

Original...

View attachment 100044

Agra...

View attachment 10004

Original...

View attachment 100046

Agra...

View attachment 100047

Original...

View attachment 100049

Agra...

View attachment 100048

Original...

View attachment 100050

Agra...

View attachment 100051

Well imho your originals are way better than the filtered versions, maybe the first Rose and Crown one looks kind of funky.

Hafta agree with John & Cat. The last two (as John says) kindof funky but wrecked imo by Hipsta's rubbish force to square crop

IMG_8186.PNG

RoseCat nice lens thingie, though, right? (Also distinct Wrecking Yard possibilities).

Posting a few pics. Not worth it but I am apparently duty bound to buy.

View attachment 100355 View attachment 100354 View attachment 100352

View attachment 100353

View attachment 100359 View attachment 100360 Like the film, Four Minarets, with Khun Lo - enhances yellows and oranges rather than artificial reds

Cottonwoods along the Chama River.

View attachment 100361 Everything is good with Bream
Mumatz, Bream, LeprechaunTearsGel

Okay, well, WOW. :eek: As always you’re forcing me to now eat my words. :rolleyes: I love all these! The image with the tiny pale pink tiny house—LOVE. The vase of flowers, autumn leaf images—LOVE.

:feet:

Okay, well, WOW. :eek: As always you’re forcing me to now eat my words. :rolleyes: I love all these! The image with the tiny pale pink tiny house—LOVE. The vase of flowers, autumn leaf images—LOVE.

:feet:

Some stunners here, as usual.

And the longer I've been holding my breath on First Fridays, waiting for lkbside to wreak her particular magic with the latest Hipsta non-event, the more I'm starting to wonder if [in Leslie's images] we're automatically crediting the filters rather than Leslie's superb eye for composition?

Some stunners here, as usual.

And the longer I've been holding my breath on First Fridays, waiting for lkbside to wreak her particular magic with the latest Hipsta non-event, the more I'm starting to wonder if [in Leslie's images] we're automatically crediting the filters rather than Leslie's superb eye for composition?
Spot on. I think her images would still look fabulous if you just rubbed mud all over them. :inlove:

I only shoot with the native camera app... all the other apps I use for post editing. I prefer to do the creative stuff later. I used to shoot with Hipstamatic - but I knew the films/lenses pretty well, and usually always knew the look I wanted so I chose the combo in advance and shot with that for the day. Now since Hipsta can edit images, I would only use it for post editing.
When I first started out with iPhoneography and discovered Hipstamatic, I loved it. I mostly shot with my favourite combo of the moment and used it 50% of the time in my first year. Now I look back and deeply regret that I shot so many images without a plain original. There are now all these images that I can’t do anything with.

It’s really like a fashion. You like it at the time and then later it looks so dated.

When I first started out with iPhoneography and discovered Hipstamatic, I loved it. I mostly shot with my favourite combo of the moment and used it 50% of the time in my first year. Now I look back and deeply regret that I shot so many images without a plain original. There are now all these images that I can’t do anything with.

It’s really like a fashion. You like it at the time and then later it looks so dated.
It’s like you are inside my brain. ***YES*** With the exception of some B&W combos, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom