HipstaPaks FIRST FRIDAY - December - Newtown SYD HipstaPak

5570C627-0B15-42DE-9777-E8CBDCD78BB9.jpeg

92DB1FB8-2E5B-4E01-BBAC-CC461C8B37C7.jpeg

9CA7C2B6-43EE-4F62-97DA-15145A0EEFF6.jpeg

Great subjects for this pak Larry. Where is the last one, with the mountain in the background?
Last picture is the big City/Tourist Trap of Banff Alberta, about a hour drive from Calgary. Banff is actually in Banff National Park and speed limit through the parks is 90kms/hr or around 50mph which seems like your crawling along as the highway from Calgary to the other side of Canmore (start of the park) is a limit of 110 or 70mph (if you do 70 stay in the slow lane as traffic generally goes 80-90mph along there. Peak that you can see is Cascade Mountain but most call it simply Snow Peak Mountain, really original :). Close to Banff is a gondola ride to the peak of Sulphur Mountain and there is a really fancy (ie very expensive) restaurant up there and ski runs. Gondola is expensive to go up, $64 per person though children under 12 are $29 and if there are one or two adult one child is free so $64 for 1 Adult w 1 Child. Teens pay full price. If you book ahead you can save $5 per adult and evening has a reduced price as well if you live in Alberta. To ski out there is mostly by packages and about the cheapest is ski and stay in a bed+breakfast overnight and start at $200 per person and some packages are over $1000 per person.

I kind of like this pack and because you can adjust the lens (which is where most of the blown out bits is done can be adjusted down, all of these images the lens is set to 30-50%)

Last picture is the big City/Tourist Trap of Banff Alberta, about a hour drive from Calgary. Banff is actually in Banff National Park and speed limit through the parks is 90kms/hr or around 50mph which seems like your crawling along as the highway from Calgary to the other side of Canmore (start of the park) is a limit of 110 or 70mph (if you do 70 stay in the slow lane as traffic generally goes 80-90mph along there. Peak that you can see is Cascade Mountain but most call it simply Snow Peak Mountain, really original :). Close to Banff is a gondola ride to the peak of Sulphur Mountain and there is a really fancy (ie very expensive) restaurant up there and ski runs. Gondola is expensive to go up, $64 per person though children under 12 are $29 and if there are one or two adult one child is free so $64 for 1 Adult w 1 Child. Teens pay full price. If you book ahead you can save $5 per adult and evening has a reduced price as well if you live in Alberta. To ski out there is mostly by packages and about the cheapest is ski and stay in a bed+breakfast overnight and start at $200 per person and some packages are over $1000 per person.

I kind of like this pack and because you can adjust the lens (which is where most of the blown out bits is done can be adjusted down, all of these images the lens is set to 30-50%)
We did the Banff/gondola when we were Canada around 2006 or 2007. It was September. We started off in Calgary and drove all the way up to Jasper and then across to Vancouver/Whistler. It turned cold early and my overriding memory was how cold I was the whole time. I remember the Jasper hotel the most because it had a fire.

Would love to go again when it is warmer. I also remember how friendly the folks were on some of the lesser known golf courses that we played.

I thought I recognised it. I’ve seen it with snow and without - both times when I was there skiing! They’ve got some great restaurants and cafes there.

speed limit through the parks is 90kms/hr or around 50mph which seems like your crawling along as the highway from Calgary to the other side of Canmore (start of the park) is a limit of 110 or 70mph (if you do 70 stay in the slow lane as traffic generally goes 80-90mph along there.
When I was driving through Canada recently I realized my car didn't have kilometers on the speedometer.... :eek: I had to guess what 110km was, until I got to my destination and was able to Google it. My guess had been good, actually.

We did the Banff/gondola when we were Canada around 2006 or 2007. It was September. We started off in Calgary and drove all the way up to Jasper and then across to Vancouver/Whistler. It turned cold early and my overriding memory was how cold I was the whole time. I remember the Jasper hotel the most because it had a fire.

Would love to go again when it is warmer. I also remember how friendly the folks were on some of the lesser known golf courses that we played.
I know the last time we went up the gondola Karen could walk (had knee braces that lock) and canes so that would be early 2000’s. Prices were a lot cheaper back then and kids were all under 12 so they didn’t cost us anything. I remember that trip pretty well...
At the time we had a station wagon and we had a folding tent trailer. We had also gone up to the Columbia icefields and had taken one of the day tours where they drove you around in these special vehicles for the ice. Stayed overnight up there and next day drove to Banff and Had one tire blow on the trailer so had to stop and fix it, where that happened there was next to no space to pull off the highway and it to happen on the drives side. Anyways fixed that and drove to Banff. e had found a nice B+B that was reasonable so we spent a few days there.

I thought I recognised it. I’ve seen it with snow and without - both times when I was there skiing! They’ve got some great restaurants and cafes there.
I have been there many times over the years, gorgeous views and your right some really good little places to eat at.

Back
Top Bottom