HipstaPaks FIRST FRIDAY - Fisheye SnapPak

davegray

MobiLurver
Real Name
Dave Gray
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
1AC89F3F-61AF-4091-A960-15E8528EF6B3.jpeg

As no one has started a new thread for the new Hipstapak, thought i’d Start one.

This is the FISHEYE PAK.

Thought it worked nicely with this recent shot I took at Flamborough Head in East Riding of Yorkshire.

Last edited:
View attachment 107981

As no one has started a new thread for the new Hipstapak, thought i’d Start one.

This is the FISHEYE PAK.

Thought it worked nicely with this recent shot I took at Flamborough Head in East Riding of Yorkshire.
So backwards I’m positively meeting myself last week, thanks Dave... :eek:

Yes, here it is, something a little lot different this month for First Friday, and it is not even a HipstaPak this month... :D

The Fisheye SnapPak is here... ;)
2B3C0E6B-7FE7-4CBA-A1FD-0D5666A2DEB9.jpeg

DD8C41A9-7528-4418-A264-65FF196932AB.jpeg

E9E55115-BFFA-4EF2-B5D8-F925C2BF996B.jpeg

81B7A06B-EA1B-47D5-BB88-9FFA36BD742F.jpeg

EF7E830A-4AAD-40E7-A179-15FECB180D29.jpeg

8C66437A-7F13-435B-95ED-9A74C192852A.jpeg

51CF42E2-06E9-42D1-B6AD-D608AC6E3449.jpeg

0D179A71-71B4-4B10-8532-65BBE2D8AC4D.jpeg

621E4805-0757-4038-A328-12E8D72568A1.jpeg

Let’s see the amazing stuff our HipstaFiends come up with this month... :rog:

Being the curious sort I immediately went to get the new fisheye snap pack. On my iPad i got a message saying i needed to update Hipstamatic first. It was already updated on my iPhone so I moved there to continue. I got the new pack for $1.39 (plus tax). I went outside to do a comparison test. Set up my iPhone on my tripod to ensure a proper comparison.
I wanted to do this comparison because something didn’t look right in the Hipstamatic Fisheye photos above. The perspective is not retreating fast enough.
Here’s my baseline photo. Native camera app.
E685A038-97C3-4619-B144-8D121901C907.jpeg

In case you’re wondering, the camera IS level. It’s the land that’s on a slope.

Next, on to Hipstamatic.... After downloading the new Fisheye pack on my iPhone 7 Plus Hipstamatic crashed every time I launched it. It would usually open the second time but every time I tried to make a picture the app crashed. When I did get it to open again I checked the photos but no new Hipstamatic photos appeared so it was crashing before saving. Crash, crash, crash, crash, boring. Up until the 341 update and the Fisheye pack Hipstamatic had been working OK.

Oh well. I’m all set up so I might as well continue.

Here’s a photo from the long standing Fisheye Pro app. I presumed this would be quite similar to the Hipstamatic pack.
A231A14B-50C6-4875-9752-AD0891E10E79.jpeg

As you can probably guess it is really just a bulge effect applied to a regular photo. 5 variations of lens available in the app.

Here is a photo made in the Native camera app using a real fisheye lens.
3889F18D-D9DB-4418-8708-84E8FE4D58C3.jpeg

I got this fisheye lens as part of The VR Kit I bought to make interactive 360 x 360 panoramas and I posted a couple here on MobiTog in the past but you need a special viewer from the interactive experience so I didn’t make one here. Other than that I don’t find a fisheye lens very useful. You can see the 2 front tripod legs at the bottom of the picture. And I think, the bottom edge of the tripod head.

I started to wonder if maybe there was a new iOS version so I checked for an iOS update and found there was 10.3 available. I downloaded the update (765 MB), which took a while, and then installed the update.
Now back to Hipstamatic.... Crash, crash, crash, etc. No photos. Boring.
Did I really need to be that curious?

Flash. Brilliant idea. Check Hipstamatic on my iPad Pro not that it has been updated to 341 but no Fisheye pack loaded yet. Crash, crash, crash, crash. Really good stuff this Hipstamatic.

Being the curious sort I immediately went to get the new fisheye snap pack. On my iPad i got a message saying i needed to update Hipstamatic first. It was already updated on my iPhone so I moved there to continue. I got the new pack for $1.39 (plus tax). I went outside to do a comparison test. Set up my iPhone on my tripod to ensure a proper comparison.
I wanted to do this comparison because something didn’t look right in the Hipstamatic Fisheye photos above. The perspective is not retreating fast enough.
View attachment 108072

Next, on to Hipstamatic.... After downloading the new Fisheye pack on my iPhone 7 Plus Hipstamatic crashed every time I launched it. It would usually open the second time but every time I tried to make a picture the app crashed. When I did get it to open again I checked the photos but no new Hipstamatic photos appeared so it was crashing before saving. Crash, crash, crash, crash, boring. Up until the 341 update and the Fisheye pack Hipstamatic had been working OK.

Here’s a photo from the long standing Fisheye Pro app. I presumed this would be quite similar to the Hipstamatic pack.
View attachment 108073
As you can probably guess it is really just a bulge effect applied to a regular photo. 5 variations of lens available in the app.

View attachment 108074
I got this fisheye lens as part of The VR Kit I bought to make interactive 360 x 360 panoramas and I posted a couple here on MobiTog in the past but you need a special viewer from the interactive experience so I didn’t make one here. Other than that I don’t find a fisheye lens very useful. You can see the 2 front tripod legs at the bottom of the picture. And I think, the bottom edge of the tripod head.

I started to wonder if maybe there was a new iOS version so I checked for an iOS update and found there was 10.3 available. I downloaded the update (765 MB), which took a while, and then installed the update.

Flash. Brilliant idea. Check Hipstamatic on my iPad Pro not that it has been updated to 341 but no Fisheye pack loaded yet. Crash, crash, crash, crash. Really good stuff this Hipstamatic.
Hipstamatic hasn't worked on my iPad for months, I've kind of given up with it.

View attachment 108072

View attachment 108073

View attachment 108074

Hipstamatic crashed every time I tried to a photo of a Knick knack for the color challenge yesterday. No fisheye involved.

For the new Fisheye Snap Pak to work you have to turn off the Raw saving feature in settings and the lastest IOS version.
Have tested it It crashes each time I use it a first After I switch off the Raw setting for my images it works
Use the Bream film you will get fantastic images very abstract

For the new Fisheye Snap Pak to work you have to turn off the Raw saving feature in settings and the lastest IOS version.
Have tested it It crashes each time I use it a first After I switch off the Raw setting for my images it works
Use the Bream film you will get fantastic images very abstract
Hey! This fixed both my iPhone and iPad. No more crashes! Thanks!!:)

Another try with the Fisheye SnapPak.
HipstamaticPhoto-545085328.184753.jpg

This is the standard Fisheye with porthole film. Exposure edited somewhat.

HipstamaticPhoto-545085186.835921.jpg

This is the actual view made with the original image file.

HipstamaticPhoto-545081772.873373.jpg

The Fisheye lens with Bream film and cropping tweaks.

HipstamaticPhoto-545080998.803707.jpg

Another with Bream film with a real Fisheye lens.

FE98FA41-50C2-469A-B445-0B7C8F3F5E30.jpeg

Real Fisheye lens view.

It makes such a mess when a post goes wrong from the Mobi app and it can’t be fixed except by going to a browser.

Last edited:
I’m sorry...I just don’t understand the point of the fish eye lens... o_O:alien::barf:

You’re right that the Fisheye isn’t very useful or pretty, generally speaking. The Fisheye lens represents the extreme wide angle end of the photographer’s continuum of lenses, while the super telephoto represents the opposite end. Photographers deliberately alter the perspective in images, from the familiar “normal”, to the progressively more extreme, either stretched or compressed, as part of their personal creative expression.
The point of a real Fisheye lens is to give a dramatically different perspective, to take in the widest view possible, to see the world in a new way not possible with the human eye (yes, alien). This is mostly useful in a very confined space where you can’t back up enough to get the whole picture in at once.
The Fisheye lens is just a small step beyond the ultra wide angle lens. There are also full-frame Fisheye lenses that don’t produce the signature circular image. A Fisheye lens makes no attempt to be rectilinear - that is, to keep straight lines straight.
Much like a telephoto is designed to give a tighter, more selective view, with compressed perspective, a Fisheye does the opposite.
Nowadays, most people who buy a Fisheye lens are not thinking of it as a single photo lens but as part of a 360 spherical panorama system.

While on the topic of selecting the best focal length lens to suit one’s personal creative vision it might be worth considering why cell phones always have a wide angle lens with a perspective about double that of human vision? Is it because the manufacturers did a survey and everyone said they wanted a wide angle lens? Everyone said they wanted to express a distorted view of reality? Everyone said they like distorting the faces of their friends to make them look weird? No, it’s because a wide angle optical system takes less space and can fit more easily into a thin phone. So we’re stuck with wide-angling everything because of a manufacturing limitation. To get a “normal” lens we have to pay extra and buy one of the Plus or dual lens phones.

So First Friday, and it is not even a HipstaPak this month... :D

The Fisheye SnapPak is here... ;)

It wasn’t a HipstaPak last month either, was it? What’s the bet next month it’s a ‘Best of Hipsta Frames’ Exclusive Special Aniversaty Collectors’ Item?

Ho hum. Awaiting RoseCat ’s judgment on the lens icon :appsir:

Back
Top Bottom