HipstaPaks FIRST FRIDAY - JANUARY 2020 - Peel Apart SnapPak

Venomator

MobiLifer
MobiStaff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 13 Pro
Apparently this is Hipstamatic starting 2020 with a bang and their First Friday SnapPak offering for January... :whistle:

With Peale Lens and Type 10 Pack fillum this is supposedly a tribute to the Polaroid ‘Peel Apart’ age...

We shall see how banging it is when Leslie lkbside gets a hold of this one... :D
7B32FEF6-E9E3-4572-999B-506F5CFCE98A.jpeg

And, courtesy of our jolly good friend Eric Rozen over at Hipstography:

To start 2020 with a bang, Hipstamatic has released a tribute to the Polaroid "Peel-apart” film. These films have a very special characteristic: after having removed the photo from the camera, you have to wait for it to develop before removing the detachable protective layer. Hence, the "peel-apart" term.

Peel-Apart-sample-03Peel-Apart-sample-07Peel-Apart-sample-04

The Peel-Apart SnapPak contains a lens, Peale and a film, Type 10 Pack. On a side note: contrary to a HipstaPak, a SnapPak is made with two well-defined elements thus creating the Pak, but that said, you can obviously play around with different elements yourself.

Peel-Apart-PealePeel-Apart-Type-10Peel-Apart-packaging

The Pak was just released and according to the first reports, Peale adds a saturated and contrasty color quality, while the film, Type 10 Pack, has a vintage frame, which can be removed in the Pro Mode function, if you so desire.

Peel-Apart-cadre-01Peel-Apart-cadre-02

We’re curious to see your pictures and don’t forget to tag #hipstography.. Happy shooting!

Peel-Apart-sample-02Peel-Apart-sample-06Peel-Apart-sample-05

Three more - Nobu Hotel, Cabo

Taittinger and sunscreen by the pool
Light fixture in walkway with frame
Virgin Mary

Ah, Taittinger, our second favourite bubbles... :inlove:

A great selection of Hipsta SnapPak iMages, per usual Leslie... :thumbs:

Permanently disable the frame. Gag.
Rather like the frame if I’m being honest... :whistle:

:D

:lmao: “. . . the film has very special characteristic: after having removed the photo from the camera, you have to wait for it to develop before removing the detachable protective layer“.:lmao:

you have to peel off the layer, just like with the old Polaroids :lmao: :lmao::lmao:

it’s official — the whole design team has gone bonkers. Next month you’ll have to put a black cloth over your head to take the shot. Pour acid over your phone to ‘develop’ the film.

oh dear. *dries tears from eyes* Someone needs to stop them before they hurt themselves :lmao:

lkbside would you do a little experiment for our edification?

You know a few of us have said that any image if yours can’t help but look good with any given Hipsta combo .. . Personally, I think your images are so good that no filter could ruin them (a subtle distinction but nevertheless true. IMO).

In the interests of science, would you take, say, a dozen photos, with two shots of each subject.

Taking the shot: Shot #1 is the experimental group. you take with your usual care and attention to detail - composition, light or anything else that is part of your normal photography process. Shot #2 is the control group. Same subject, but you simply wave your camera in the general direction. iow not a single bit of Leslie-thought into it.

Editing: Shot #1 gets the standard Leslie treatment - any cropping, other editing, exactly as you would normally do. Then choose the best Hipsta combo to finish it off. Shot #2 (same subject) gets no Leslie-treatment. Not even cropping. Then it gets exactly the same Hipsta combos Shot #1 gets. Then post the pairs here for our considered analysis.

Empirical science calls it accounting for the factors you know and randomising for the factors you don’t know. (An even better control would be someone else taking Shot #2). But if you mindfully do one normal-Leslie shot & edit, and one in-Leslie’d version, so that the only thing in common is the Hipsta combo, we will have a better idea of how much is the Leslie-effect and how much is the Hipsta-effect.

Then of course we’ll publish the results and probably get a Nobel prize or something.

lkbside would you do a little experiment for our edification?

You know a few of us have said that any image if yours can’t help but look good with any given Hipsta combo .. . Personally, I think your images are so good that no filter could ruin them (a subtle distinction but nevertheless true. IMO).

In the interests of science, would you take, say, a dozen photos, with two shots of each subject.

Taking the shot: Shot #1 is the experimental group. you take with your usual care and attention to detail - composition, light or anything else that is part of your normal photography process. Shot #2 is the control group. Same subject, but you simply wave your camera in the general direction. iow not a single bit of Leslie-thought into it.

Editing: Shot #1 gets the standard Leslie treatment - any cropping, other editing, exactly as you would normally do. Then choose the best Hipsta combo to finish it off. Shot #2 (same subject) gets no Leslie-treatment. Not even cropping. Then it gets exactly the same Hipsta combos Shot #1 gets. Then post the pairs here for our considered analysis.

Empirical science calls it accounting for the factors you know and randomising for the factors you don’t know. (An even better control would be someone else taking Shot #2). But if you mindfully do one normal-Leslie shot & edit, and one in-Leslie’d version, so that the only thing in common is the Hipsta combo, we will have a better idea of how much is the Leslie-effect and how much is the Hipsta-effect.

Then of course we’ll publish the results and probably get a Nobel prize or something.
Whoa. Have to think about this challenge. I think my photos all need some kind of edit treatment (crop/straighten for sure) in addition to the add on of Hipsta, but I do take a bunch of shots of the same thing, usually from a bit of a different angle. I do love your faith in me.

Whoa. Have to think about this challenge. I think my photos all need some kind of edit treatment (crop/straighten for sure) in addition to the add on of Hipsta, but I do take a bunch of shots of the same thing, usually from a bit of a different angle. I do love your faith in me.

and truth be told i think you need a research grant to undertake such a project. And since our beloved leader is a Hipsta tragic, i don't think it Will be coming from mobitog :D

I have to disagree with some of the sentiment here. I’ve always been a bit disappointed with the Paks released by Hipstamatic but I like this one including the frame
485D5D52-C634-4E33-89FA-965C774D81FC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree with some of the sentiment here. I’ve always been a bit disappointed with the Paks released by Hipstamatic but I like this one including the frame
Thanks for speaking up. I like the frame the frame, too. I like most things that are grungy and think that it will be a fine addition to a collage.

Geek1956 Kevin, nice to see you again!

hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of re-posting your image full size. Noone should be deprived the pleasure of your fabulous images, and some of us *cough* are a little shallwesay ’near-sighted’ :mobibabe:

*I don't care for the frame
*I don't care for the "crinkled paper" affect look (is it the lens OR the film that causes the affect ?)
*I do like the colors (painterly quality)

The above said I can get similar colors with : Eric + Maneken ... Very happy to see Eric Rozen back !!

*After further review - I believe this pak has possibilities under the right circumstances : Think bright colors , mercury vapor street lamps , etc. where you want to exaggerate weird color shifts and add texture . I'd probably amp up the grain a bit as well , also experimenting shooting early or late street scenes to exaggerate the colors to the max . I'd also want to seperate the lens and film to see how they would work in B&W or use the pak "as is" and convert the resulting images to B&W in post processing to take advantage of the textures + frame .

*After further review - I believe this pak has possibilities under the right circumstances : Think bright colors , mercury vapor street lamps , etc. where you want to exaggerate weird color shifts and add texture . I'd probably amp up the grain a bit as well , also experimenting shooting early or late street scenes to exaggerate the colors to the max . I'd also want to seperate the lens and film to see how they would work in B&W or use the pak "as is" and convert the resulting images to B&W in post processing to take advantage of the textures + frame .
I’d love to see your experiments with it! :)

Back
Top Bottom