HipstaPaks FIRST FRIDAY - SEPTEMBER - Fort Lauderdale Hipstapak

Populuxe

MobiAddict
Real Name
Kent Kangley
Device
iPhone15

Beware the Gator

Tequesta Lens. Desaturated contrast. This magical lens desaturates and adds contrast to your photos. Made in Florida.

Florida Man 1911. Surreal clipped and torn. A slightly surreal film, this film is as unexpected as the local denizens.

Tequesta is likely named for the small town north of Miami which in turn takes it’s name from the Tequesta people. Florida Man is a popular meme about how Floridians seem to be involved in strange events at a higher rate than other Americans. 1911 looks to be a reference to the Colt M1911 handgun. There’s even an upper half of the gun placed over the state, effectively turning the entire state into a handgun. I have no idea what kind of statement Hipstamatic is trying to make here, but considering the still fresh horrors of the Stoneman-Douglas High School and Pulse Nightclub shootings, it seems tone-deaf at best.

As advertised, the lens slightly desaturates and adds contrast at the same time. There appears to be a mild color shift as well. I’m going out on a limb and predicting the film will not be a big hit. It creates a large monochromatic blue border around the photo using your original photo flipped 180° horizontally and vertically, as well as adding a white tear line along one edge of the inner image. Turning off the border will only remove the tear mark, not the border.

These are my photos taken with my iPod Touch.

Last edited:
Against my better judgment I purchased it mainly because the last 2 Paks haven’t been available on the HipstaX. Anyway I’m less than impressed with this one. I’m not sure why Hipstamatic can’t produce some filters like FIMO which attempt to mimic real film. Having vented my spleen I’m the first to admit there original Paks were second to none.

Ive bought it as a matter of course, its cheap enough to warrant wasting a pound and It may be useful for an arty collage at some point. As kevin says, it would be good if Hipsta made an effort to produce some quality films and dropped the gimmicks.

I agree the film is a non-starter. I’ve already turned it off in “shake to randomize.” So now the question is, what does the lens bring to the party? Here‘s a photo of the Brown’s Point Lighthouse I took yesterday, in different combinations with and without the Tequesta Lens.

Unedited original/Tequesta lens only

Itosha 1907 film only/Itosha 1907 film and Tequesta lens

BlacKeys 1942 film only/BlacKeys 1942 film and Tequesta lens

Blanko C16 film only/Blanko C16 film and Tequesta lens

I agree the film is a non-starter. I’ve already turned it off in “shake to randomize.” So now the question is, what does the lens bring to the party? Here‘s a photo of the Brown’s Point Lighthouse I took yesterday, in different combinations with and without the Tequesta Lens.

Unedited original/Tequesta lens only

Itosha 1907 film only/Itosha 1907 film and Tequesta lens

BlacKeys 1942 film only/BlacKeys 1942 film and Tequesta lens

Blanko C16 film only/Blanko C16 film and Tequesta lens
Subtle to the point of intangibility. Not enough of a noticeable effect for me to bother with it.

Back
Top Bottom