Found Faces

Ice monster preparing to chow down on an ice burger.
CD3C8E75-4654-4EB9-A007-646194CA31AC.jpeg

This little chunk of ice is about 8 feet long and nearly 3 feet thick. Wouldn’t want to drop it on my toe.

Moment cam, Affinity.

Wow.... you’d never guess it was that big!
Check this out for size.
68B2DE27-8327-4383-8083-01C5414692E8.jpeg

There have been several cases of much larger ice cakes being left by the tide on Alma beach but since I would only find them by chance I probably miss most of them. In this case someone called me to let me know about the big ice cakes so I went down to Alma to check it out and made several photos as a couple of other friends walked between them looking up to take it in. This was photographed on a colour slide film some years ago (ahem). My slide copy set-up using the Moment Macro is still in prototype stage. However, due to limitations of the lens magnification I can only get about 70% of the whole picture and in this case I have moved it close to the left edge of the slide frame to include the person standing right beside the ice cake. About 30% more of the picture is cut off on the right and some off the bottom, too. And, yes, that is a regular sized adult standing there. An ice cake of this size could only get this far up the beach on one of the bigger tides. That looks to be 3.5 x the height of the person, so about 19.5 feet.

You can see the several layers of ice stacked on top of each other to build this big one. It has been lifted and moved around by the tide countless times, often piling it on top of other ice still stuck to the bottom. Then another time it would break free of the bottom and be carried around again, and piled on top of other ice.

You can see the several layers of ice stacked on top of each other to build this big one. It has been lifted and moved around by the tide countless times, often piling it on top of other ice still stuck to the bottom. Then another time it would break free of the bottom and be carried around again, and piled on top of other ice.
Wow! Alma has its own glacier. ;)

Amazing archaeological discovery found yesterday on the beach.
9AE70776-EE56-4D9E-B8D4-BCB16D85F4A2.jpeg

It’s obviously an, umm.... yes, an important missing link in the line of elephants and manatees. Everything will make perfect sense now. This particular specimen seems well adapted for digging, or ploughing a furrow, so it could be the missing proof that elephants were farmers long before man. Powerful back legs are good for pushing while ploughing. Before you know it I’ll be on Oprah. Too bad I can’t actually lift the specimen to protect it from the tide.
I had a clear impression of channeling my inner Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbes) while writing this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom