• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Front Page Views

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Something that's bugging me at the moment and I know it's all about time and money and I've never paid into Mobitog not a penny but......

For an image led forum the mobile view of the front page is a little grim. I and hopefully others use the recent images to see what's been posted erm recently.
The view on my phone shows very tiny images for recent images and then larger ones for the albums/winners etc. To me the recent images are far more interesting, but its almost impossible to see them. OK I'm getting on a bit and my eyesight isn't what is was but still.

It's better on a desktop but aren't we supposed to be a mobile friendly forum?

This is a screenshot of my view, maybe its an Android issue, maybe someone could post a screenshot on ios?
Screenshot_20190909-090107.png

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
See , now I've posted that, the size has increased on the front page. It seems to alter depending on the size on the last image posted.
Is that right?

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Not I, said the cat. ;) I use New Posts... that way I’m sure not to miss anything. :thumbs:
Yes we've had this debate before, but I still think on an image based forum the images should be prominent. You wouldn't go on Instagram or Flickr and have to look at a list to see the new images surely?
If that's the case the images might as well be removed from the front page altogether. Maybe MobiTog is niche and I'm comparing it to the mainstream. Do you think the new image list from my screenshot looks pretty?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Yes we've had this debate before, but I still think on an image based forum the images should be prominent. You wouldn't go on Instagram or Flickr and have to look at a list to see the new images surely?
If that's the case the images might as well be removed from the front page altogether. Maybe MobiTog is niche and I'm comparing it to the mainstream. Do you think the new image list from my screenshot looks pretty?
I’m quite sure it has to do with budget and what we can afford. I think the new image list is absolutely fine. But I’m here for many reasons other than looking at pretty images. I am willing to give up some of the “perks” that other sites may have for the family atmosphere, encouragement and heart that you’ll find at MobiTog. :inlove:

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Apples to Android!

Ok seems like I'm in a minority yet again. Although when people go silent due to 'being too busy' it makes me wonder.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Apples to Android!

Ok seems like I'm in a minority yet again. Although when people go silent due to 'being too busy' it makes me wonder.
No, I agree.

Not sure there's anything to be done about it though. There's been a few site issues since the upgrade, which was some time ago now, that have been flagged up but not addressed either way as far as i can tell.
[/shrugging]

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
No, I agree.

Not sure there's anything to be done about it though. There's been a few site issues since the upgrade, which was some time ago now, that have been flagged up but not addressed either way as far as i can tell.
[/shrugging]
Actually, I checked through the site maintenance thread and there's quite a lot less undone than I thought and most requests fulfilled so I'll retract my shrugging.

I still take your point sinnerjohn and I think the front page needs a bit of a rethink but the site is looking good and the admins are responsive :)

Perhaps consider donating to the site to get the change you're after :p

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The size of the images definitely changes depending on what's posted. I particularly noticed this because when I post a pano everything gets ridiculously small (or did!). For me this is the only thing that I thought could be improved. Yes, maybe I miss more thumbnails but I can work around it. I have no problems with the rest of the site.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
The size of the images definitely changes depending on what's posted. I particularly noticed this because when I post a pano everything gets ridiculously small (or did!). For me this is the only thing that I thought could be improved. Yes, maybe I miss more thumbnails but I can work around it. I have no problems with the rest of the site.
I did an analysis but thought it so very dull and didn't post it. As you've raised it again here it is:

The two picture carousels have different settings/css styles to them so they behave differently when the page resizes.

In the top one, "Latest thread post", the whole carousel resizes in response to different page widths with the pictures inside resizing at the same scale so everything just gets bigger and smaller together as a group.

The second "iMages from Mobimember....etc" behaves quite differently. The carousel resizes within a maximum and minimum height. It doesn't keep scaling downward like the top one. Instead, once the width of the whole carousel hits certain break points, it discards a picture and resizes the remaining pics so they fit evenly across the remaining width. So on my PC there are 6 pics showing. On my phone, 3 in landscape and 2 in portrait.

The other obvious difference is the "Latest thread post" resizes all pics to the same width. There are always 6 pictures no matter what the width of the display is. This means wide pics end up with white space below and tall pics have the bottom cut off.
The "iMages from Mobi..." resizes all pics to a square so there's no white spaces but pics do get bits shaved off thier tops/bottoms/sides.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I still take your point @sinnerjohn and I think the front page needs a bit of a rethink but the site is looking good and the admins are responsive
I wasn't criticising the site as such, its a great site. I just think the 'new' front page isn't very inspiring esp to new members.