Full resolution from Photo Stream?

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
iPhone 12 Pro
Is there any way to transfer images from the Photo Stream at full resolution?

I have a feeling this has been discussed on MobiTog before but I couldn't find it in a search. Would appreciate any input on this.

Photo stream doesn't allow for full resolution. With Dropbox, I've found that accessing the photos via the web interface saves at full resolution since the app won't let you. I usually just plug the iPhone into my iPad's camera connector to download photos.

dcmacnut said:
Photo stream doesn't allow for full resolution. With Dropbox, I've found that accessing the photos via the web interface saves at full resolution since the app won't let you. I usually just plug the iPhone into my iPad's camera connector to download photos.

Good to know!

Thanks, Chris. I know you can't copy photos from Photo Stream to Camera Roll at full res but I wasn't sure if they weren't actually saved at full res originally.

So with Dropbox pics are saved at full res, right?

Thanks, Chris. I know you can't copy photos from Photo Stream to Camera Roll at full res but I wasn't sure if they weren't actually saved at full res originally.

How DUMB is that?!?! :angry: Hopefully Apple will fix this with the iPhone 5... They're a brilliant company but at times some of their choices are just DUMB. :coffee:

Are you saying that when I save photos to my computer through photo stream that they are not being saved at full resolution? Please say no, as that was how I have been saving them!

I think photos from your phone go at full resolution via photostream to your computer, but not from iPhone to iPad.

richardcb said:

I'm just assuming Photostream doesn't upload as full res. I'm not positive. As far as Dropbox, you have to set uploads to full size in the app's settings.

My issue with dropbox was I was uploading them full res from my phone, then pulling them back down via my ipad not realising that they were not coming in full res. Luckily I figured it out early in the game so not much damage was done ;)

Here's the official answer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

On your Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices.

On your Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices.
Brilliant, Chris. Thanks for clearing that up. I can confirm that Photo Stream does seem to save full res images to my PC. :)

Don't you just love technobabble like 'device-optomised resolution'? :D

RoseCat said:
How DUMB is that?!?! :angry: Hopefully Apple will fix this with the iPhone 5... They're a brilliant company but at times some of their choices are just DUMB. :coffee:

AMEN!!!

dcmacnut said:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

Thanks, Chris!

Thanks Chris and thank God! I was worried that I had saved everything at a lower resolution it's good to know that cam roll and photo stream photos are not interchangeable for high resolution.

Back
Top Bottom