FundyBrian’s Explorations

Mindful Photography - I was listening to some meditation info when this popped into my head.
I’ve written in the past about Creating With Intention (as opposed to creating by happenstance) and I think there’s a connection there.
3E6F471C-FB0C-4D68-B5D4-3C49B862E7B0.jpeg

Considering the interest in meditation I have seen expressed on MobiTog I think I may start a discussion topic about this idea.

This drawing is from an assignment to make a scene with things getting more in distinct as they disappear into the distance, or mist, in this case.
View attachment 107245
This view shows Owl’s Head (the big round headland at the back). The closer headland is Joel’s Head and the foreground trees are near Dixon Falls. A range of about 7km.
Lovely!

My Morning View.
B2D4501F-EBF1-40FD-AF4F-1CD6BC6CBC4A.jpeg

Looking out my upstairs window at sunrise. This is a 4 shot panorama stitched in Affinity. Affinity handled the stitching job very well with no fussing with settings. My originals were made in PureShot on my iPhone 7 Plus. This upstairs room serves as Fabi’s craft area and occasional guest room. On the longest days of summer the sun rises to the left of West River Mountain on the left and on the shortest days in winter the sun rises at the far right of the photo. In the middle in the black area you can just make out part of waterside beach catching some light.
I’m very happy with the Apple Pencil, better than any other stylus I have tried. In this photo I was using the Apple Pencil with the Inpainting brush to fill in areas cut off by the perspective curving of the stitching in the corners and it did a flawless job.
You can imagine how meditative it could be to sit here and watch the sunrise.
The iPad Pro 12.9” has been a game changer for me. For one thing, I can see defects in my pictures I couldn’t see before on my iPhone. Things I thought looked pretty good on my iPhone don’t always turn out as well on the bigger screen. It has far reaching implications on my sense of mobile photography. Affinity is another game changer. We finally have the almost Photoshop we have been waiting for and the ability to develop RAW files, do tone mapping, do HDR with DNG files, panoramas, focus stacking, plus all the usual photo editing, all in one app is wonderful. It is somewhat slow and very manual feeling compared to some specialized effects apps but it offers a great deal of creative possibilities. I expect we will eventually see improvements and expansions to Affinity similar to Photoshop.
At the moment my workflow has become somewhat confused, trying to decide whether to edit on my iPhone or move directly to my iPad, and then which one has the most up-to-date version of the photos. It will take some care to keep it all straight.

Farm Fresh Eggs.
8A8B2869-D3B9-469A-AEC3-C38162FD649F.jpeg

Where we get our eggs they have a very mixed flock of several varieties of hens and ducks. Each time we open a carton of eggs its a new surprise selection. That egg in the middle is slightly greenish-blue.
Photographed on iPhone 7 Plus with PureShot, using the 2x lens & a close-up lens, 6 different focus positions, Focus Stack developing in Affinity. That’s the only way I could get everything in focus from the front edge of the basket to the back of the basket.

This is how 3 of the eggs ended up at lunchtime.
8240D228-6325-4A15-A63C-E61D445595A0.jpeg

Actually, this is just half of the omelet. Fabi had the other half. It was full of all sorts of things - green onions, tiny Tim tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, smoked salmon, and a little sprinkle of cheese.

As soon as I heard Fabi wanted to make an omelet for lunch I had to rush and get my egg picture made before she used the eggs. We had such a nice selection of eggs. I’m afraid lunch was slightly delayed by my impromptu photo session. I photographed the eggs in the carton yesterday but I decided that didn’t do what I wanted.

Farm Fresh Eggs.
View attachment 107668

Where we get our eggs they have a very mixed flock of several varieties of hens and ducks. Each time we open a carton of eggs its a new surprise selection. That egg in the middle is slightly greenish-blue.
Photographed on iPhone 7 Plus with PureShot, using the 2x lens & a close-up lens, 6 different focus positions, Focus Stack developing in Affinity. That’s the only way I could get everything in focus from the front edge of the basket to the back of the basket.

View attachment 107670

Actually, this is just half of the omelet. Fabi had the other half. It was full of all sorts of things - green onions, tiny Tim tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, smoked salmon, and a little sprinkle of cheese.

As soon as I heard Fabi wanted to make an omelet for lunch I had to rush and get my egg picture made before she used the eggs. We had such a nice selection of eggs. I’m afraid lunch was slightly delayed by my impromptu photo session. I photographed the eggs in the carton yesterday but I decided that didn’t do what I wanted.
Lovely eggs and a delicious looking omelet!

Farm Fresh Eggs.
View attachment 107668

View attachment 107670

I love fresh eggs! We used to be able to get them, but alas, now all our sources have dried up.

Beautiful image of beautiful eggs!

Yesterday I attended the sign-up day for several adult education courses where I was asked to present an iPhone Photography course. There is quite an assortment of courses planned from jewellery making, watercolour painting, tai chi, how to attend a dying person, etc. My only concern was their old projector but I heard that day they just got a new one so that sounds promising. So now I have students signed up and my two presentation days are May 22 & 29. I have 4 sections planned, 2 for each day. Not all of my students have iPhones and some phones are of questionable smartness but I’m sure they will get something out of the general photography section.

Today Fabi had an appointment in Sussex in the morning so off we went and encountered some heavy slush in the higher altitude of the trip. I mentioned elsewhere that I had just put on my summer tires on Tuesday so that was sure to mean we would get some snow, whereas if I left my snow tires on it would guarantee the roads would remain dry and clear until summer and I would be wearing out my snow tires for nothing.
It started out at about +1ºC and fairly foggy as we started to gain altitude.
DF1FC709-CEA5-44A6-80B3-1679A0D2F3F8.jpeg

Higher up it had obviously snowed overnight but no plowing had been done so we had slush.
CD92AFC5-9B81-421F-84D9-4668FE466F16.jpeg

I didn’t stop to make any pictures at the worst part because I was too busy avoiding the slush. On the way home it was all gone.

After Fabi’s appointment we looked around town. Sussex is a largely farming community so the whole town has a more rural casual down home feel. We found a cute café, new to us, that served a very encouraging selection of food and beverages.
Then in our strolling around we visited an area where a big fire had occurred several years ago and found it quite restored. Some parts were completely untouched by the fire. Moffetts Hardware store has been in operation for 96 years. It’s a family run business with a great granddaughter of the original owners still working there.
CDE31F5C-4415-40C0-9A6C-D24454611397.jpeg

Stepping inside is like going back in time. Squeaky hardwood floors, stuff packed in from floor to ceiling. Lots of antique stuff accumulated over the years.
18E7A25C-8F8F-472F-AF86-FBC0FCA7DBEC.jpeg

Things are still done the old fashioned way although there are also modern items. It is the unexpected mixture of old things among the new that gives it that twist. The lighting was fairly hideous fluorescent.
All around the top of the walls are posted antique signs from various suppliers.
089FF71D-C21A-49A6-A22E-9D9658F6E44C.jpeg

Here’s a stovepipe “robot” demonstrating the range of fittings.
8124F2DF-7350-42DB-A1DC-84875F099225.jpeg

Looking back towards the front of the store we see that the moose head is used to display a Tilly hat. Below that is an assortment of replacement blades for bow saws. You can just see several of them to the right of the blades. I also noticed an antique aeroplane wooden propellor propped up in the corner.
8D0E95F9-3A5D-46CA-A500-822BCAD2652D.jpeg

Over in the electrical department it seems perfectly natural to find a moose call next to the wire.

I have more photos to add later.

After Fabi’s appointment we looked around town. Sussex is a largely farming community so the whole town has a more rural casual down home feel. We found a cute café, new to us, that served a very encouraging selection of food and beverages.
Then in our strolling around we visited an area where a big fire had occurred several years ago and found it quite restored. Some parts were completely untouched by the fire. Moffetts Hardware store has been in operation for 96 years. It’s a family run business with a great granddaughter of the original owners still working there.
View attachment 108244
Stepping inside is like going back in time. Squeaky hardwood floors, stuff packed in from floor to ceiling. Lots of antique stuff accumulated over the years.
View attachment 108245
Things are still done the old fashioned way although there are also modern items. It is the unexpected mixture of old things among the new that gives it that twist. The lighting was fairly hideous fluorescent.
All around the top of the walls are posted antique signs from various suppliers.
View attachment 108242
View attachment 108241
Looking back towards the front of the store we see that the moose head is used to display a Tilly hat. Below that is an assortment of replacement blades for bow saws. You can just see several of them to the right of the blades. I also noticed an antique aeroplane wooden propellor propped up in the corner.
View attachment 108243
Over in the electrical department it seems perfectly natural to find a moose call next to the wire.

You find the the most unique shops!

Yesterday I attended the sign-up day for several adult education courses where I was asked to present an iPhone Photography course. There is quite an assortment of courses planned from jewellery making, watercolour painting, tai chi, how to attend a dying person, etc. My only concern was their old projector but I heard that day they just got a new one so that sounds promising. So now I have students signed up and my two presentation days are May 22 & 29. I have 4 sections planned, 2 for each day. Not all of my students have iPhones and some phones are of questionable smartness but I’m sure they will get something out of the general photography section.
Good luck on your classes. I’m sure they’ll be a big success!
View attachment 108244
View attachment 108245
View attachment 108242
View attachment 108241
View attachment 108243

This store looks like a great place to wander for hours!

Since RoseCat was brave enough to show where she lives in the Time Stamp thread I thought I could do the same here. This isn’t actually an iPhone photo except I photographed it off my computer screen with my iPhone. I don’t have any way to get my iPhone up so high.
IMG_9455.JPG

That’s my house over on the left, hiding in the woods with minimal mowing around it. I like the surrounding area to be as natural as possible. My property is about 5 acres. You can see by the colours that this was made in late fall after the leaves had fallen.
Across the road there’s a long narrow hayfield, and beyond that the woods begins again, first dipping down into a deep gully and then rising up to a substantial hillside. It is essentially a high valley. You can see my uphill neighbour’s lower driveway in the lower left. His house is about 400 feet from mine. My nearest downhill neighbour is 1km.
Behind my house is another long hillside. My house faces south, which is fairly ideal for solar gain. Looking east we look out over Dennis Beach and Waterside Beach on the Bay of Fundy. That small mountain is called West River Mountain and from the house it is on the left of our view.
The road is heading downhill in this photo. Hills in every direction. You can imagine that leaving the driveway with my bicycle is a major commitment in either direction. I’m either going up or down steep hills.
So that’s the general lay of the land - I’m surrounded by hills and woods.
The nearest city is Moncton, about 80km to the north, a little over an hours drive, longer in winter.
The photo was made Oct.20/2014 with my old quadcopter using a GoPro camera. I have used the same quadcopter to lift my old iPod for some aerial photos but my iPhone is too heavy. I’ve considered getting a newer iPod for this purpose but it’s somewhat of a folly.

Last edited:
I am anxiously awaiting the introduction of Affinity Designer on iPad. I have it on my computer and currently I’m following a Udemy tutorial course on it so I can hit the ground running when Designer arrives on iPad.

Part two of the old Moffetts Hardware store in Sussex, NB, Canada. I found the interior light so hideous as a result of mixed sources that I decided to add an antique look to the photos via Mextures.
5E9336E4-ED6F-48C7-94C0-00E9C2CC8716.jpeg

Here is a sign from last year commemorating 95, now 96, years of operation by one family.
BE49DC7B-A41F-44B6-B266-012AF35B4916.jpeg

A mixture of antiques and old advertising posters high on the walls. That paint colour light station in the lower right really messed up the colour in its sphere of influence .
D582D365-A4EA-40A3-A10A-EE8251769AB0.jpeg

Another collection of antique product containers at the out-of-reach height on the wall. On the right some window light leaks in, on the left more of that hideous fluorescent lighting.
469E90E1-99D1-44A7-BF66-2400F095B6EB.jpeg

A curious anomaly was this computer work station squeezed between the shelf brackets and clothesline pulleys. Probably used for inventory or product searches.
6D39E9A1-D96F-4FCE-838D-30EDC243343A.jpeg

This is part of the main counter area you see just a few feet after entering the store.

I found I was wearing a big smile as I roamed about the store looking at so many details. I really kicked myself for not having my white balance card with me at the time. It was desperately needed. So that’s the end of my Moffetts Hardware visit for now. No doubt I’ll be back there someday.

I am anxiously awaiting the introduction of Affinity Designer on iPad. I have it on my computer and currently I’m following a Udemy tutorial course on it so I can hit the ground running when Designer arrives on iPad.

I will be waiting for your review. Is there an ETA for it?

Congrats! I know it’ll be a great class... :thumbs:

Since RoseCat was brave enough to show where she lives in the Time Stamp thread I thought I could do the same here. This isn’t actually an iPhone photo except I photographed it off my computer screen with my iPhone. I don’t have any way to get my iPhone up so high.
View attachment 108397
That’s my house over on the left, hiding in the woods with minimal mowing around it. I like the surrounding area to be as natural as possible. My property is about 5 acres. You can see by the colours that this was made in late fall after the leaves had fallen.
Across the road there’s a long narrow hayfield, and beyond that the woods begins again, first dipping down into a deep gully and then rising up to a substantial hillside. It is essentially a high valley. You can see my uphill neighbour’s lower driveway in the lower left. His house is about 400 feet from mine. My nearest downhill neighbour is 1km.
Behind my house is another long hillside. My house faces south, which is fairly ideal for solar gain. Looking east we look out over Dennis Beach and Waterside Beach on the Bay of Fundy. That small mountain is called West River Mountain and from the house it is on the left of our view.
The road is heading downhill in this photo. Hills in every direction. You can imagine that leaving the driveway with my bicycle is a major commitment in either direction. I’m either going up or down steep hills.
So that’s the general lay of the land - I’m surrounded by hills and woods.
The nearest city is Moncton, about 80km to the north, a little over an hours drive, longer in winter.
The photo was made Oct.20/2014 with my old quadcopter using a GoPro camera. I have used the same quadcopter to lift my old iPod for some aerial photos but my iPhone is too heavy. I’ve considered getting a newer iPod for this purpose but it’s somewhat of a folly.
:inlove: What a beautiful place you live in... so great to see it from this viewpoint.

Part two of the old Moffetts Hardware store in Sussex, NB, Canada. I found the interior light so hideous as a result of mixed sources that I decided to add an antique look to the photos via Mextures.
View attachment 108457
Here is a sign from last year commemorating 95, now 96, years of operation by one family.
View attachment 108456
A mixture of antiques and old advertising posters high on the walls. That paint colour light station in the lower right really messed up the colour in its sphere of influence .
View attachment 108460
Another collection of antique product containers at the out-of-reach height on the wall. On the right some window light leaks in, on the left more of that hideous fluorescent lighting.
View attachment 108458
A curious anomaly was this computer work station squeezed between the shelf brackets and clothesline pulleys. Probably used for inventory or product searches.
View attachment 108459
This is part of the main counter area you see just a few feet after entering the store.

I found I was wearing a big smile as I roamed about the store looking at so many details. I really kicked myself for not having my white balance card with me at the time. It was desperately needed. So that’s the end of my Moffetts Hardware visit for now. No doubt I’ll be back there someday.
Quite an interesting place! Very jam packed with stuff.... a bit too much for me... when I’m roaming places packed with stuff like that my eyes kind of glaze over and I never really see the details. I like all the antique stuff up high (except the moose :( )

Yes, there’s humour there, but also sadness missing our dog Woofie and a deep yearning to have another dog.
Are you leaning towards getting another dog? I still miss my Miss Missy, and have the same yearning, but right now I’m not ready for that responsibility as I want to travel as much as possible. But I sure miss having a furry family member around...

Are you leaning towards getting another dog? I still miss my Miss Missy, and have the same yearning, but right now I’m not ready for that responsibility as I want to travel as much as possible. But I sure miss having a furry family member around...

We waited 3 years after losing our yellow lab, Cooper, before getting Rosie. Afterward we regretted waiting that long....

Back
Top Bottom