FundyBrian’s Explorations

Aerial view.
5523CFE4-AC50-4CC6-BE58-2FA3233839C9.jpeg

PureShot DNG, Affinity.

A couple of days ago it was raining quite hard so I thought I would try to make a photo like JillyG had done a couple of weeks ago. It was a drop falling into a bucket and caught at high speed to freeze the action of the splash. Actually this was my second attempt since the first time the light wasn’t very bright which caused the shutter speed to be too slow to freeze the action.
5B2CCCE9-8DBD-4764-9339-01396118FA71.jpeg

This time I used an app where I could manually adjust the shutter speed to 1/1000 or higher. This also required setting the ISO much higher until I had too much noise in my he image so I need more light to make it work properly. In the olde days I did this sort of thing with flash and freezing the action was no problem but available light is a different matter.
I was happy enough with what I got in this test except I couldn’t get as close as I wanted to the drips without also getting my phone lens splashed, which cause quite a delay between photos to clean off the lens.
The most exciting part was the reflections that appeared in the water caught at high speed.
BF14B40E-D07C-4114-9EC0-E79A5F485725.jpeg

When you look at this part on a bigger screen all sorts of interesting things emerge.

During a couple of days of rain I felt an urge to be outside. I put on my rainsuit but what about my iPhone. I know it’s water resistant but getting the lens wet is hard to dry off when you’re out in the rain. So, an umbrella was found. Then, you usually use 2 hands to take pictures with an iPhone and one was busy holding the umbrella. For many years I have had a bracket for my tripod to attach an umbrella so I could photograph keeping my camera dry and without having to hold the umbrella. So I got out a clip-on bracket with a cell phone attachment and fastened it to my umbrella. I wish I had a picture of me out in the rain enjoying making photos in my rainsuit and under the umbrella.
907BF3B3-ED20-466D-A70D-07C3986CE4D1.jpeg

I wandered around the woods behind my house and through little meadow areas.
324999A7-D9D6-4726-9BF4-FEB8FAA9B871.jpeg

Some Bunchberry.

76F419A2-B4F2-4CBB-AAC7-715A2725D1D3.jpeg

Here are some Sensitive Ferns invading a grassy area.

Later, when the rain lessened I got out my tripod and was experimenting with various camera apps without moving my tripod. The problem is that many apps don’t identify the app in metadata so you can’t remember which app was used for a particular photo. Grrr.
2C261ED6-8A53-45D7-B626-88CE7201EB63.jpeg

0662467A-0E27-468D-9855-B4BE31D40EFB.jpeg

I don’t think anything great transpired but I enjoyed myself.

During a couple of days of rain I felt an urge to be outside. I put on my rainsuit but what about my iPhone. I know it’s water resistant but getting the lens wet is hard to dry off when you’re out in the rain. So, an umbrella was found. Then, you usually use 2 hands to take pictures with an iPhone and one was busy holding the umbrella. For many years I have had a bracket for my tripod to attach an umbrella so I could photograph keeping my camera dry and without having to hold the umbrella. So I got out a clip-on bracket with a cell phone attachment and fastened it to my umbrella. I wish I had a picture of me out in the rain enjoying making photos in my rainsuit and under the umbrella.
View attachment 110953
I wandered around the woods behind my house and through little meadow areas.
View attachment 110954
Some Bunchberry.

View attachment 110952
Here are some Sensitive Ferns invading a grassy area.

Later, when the rain lessened I got out my tripod and was experimenting with various camera apps without moving my tripod. The problem is that many apps don’t identify the app in metadata so you can’t remember which app was used for a particular photo. Grrr.
View attachment 110956
View attachment 110955
I don’t think anything great transpired but I enjoyed myself.
These are lovely... I can just smell the sweet Wet earth... I’d love to see a photo with your setup too! :lol:

Going back to Slow Shutter Cam. Dickson Brook in Fundy National Park.
780512D9-C324-4634-AED3-9AE7C4B93B80.jpeg

Affinity.
Rather than a tripod which is awkward to set up on the trail and still leave room for people to pass I used a short bar clamp I can fasten to the wooden handrail of the footbridge. It added a fitting for a regular tripod head.

Amphipod, Scud, or side-swimmer.
7D9C343C-2BA2-4731-B8C5-6EFFFBB7EC07.jpeg

Summer brings a parade of marine creatures to the beach. These tiny amphipods are just under 2cm in length and usually hide under seaweed when the tide goes out to stay wet. This one was scurrying about in the wet sand.

Inch Arran Lighthouse at Sunset, from my kayak.
0545E00A-4B17-4361-B4A1-382BC6FAC83A.jpeg

The only way to get the Inch Arran Lighthouse at Sunset is to be out on the water. I had been watching for a good sunset but the days ended with overcast, until today. Once I saw conditions were looking good I quickly launched my kayak and paddled out to a good location. The current of the falling tide kept me drifting out of position. Inch Arran is a point extending into le Baie des Chaleurs at Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Canada. This is the northern-most coast of the province. In fact, just across the water on the right is part of the province of Quebec. The mountains in the distance are part of the Appalachian chain. Travelling to the right on the far shore leads to the Gaspé Penninsula.
PureShot DNG, processed in Affinity

View attachment 112530
The only way to get the Inch Arran Lighthouse at Sunset is to be out on the water. I had been watching for a good sunset but the days ended with overcast, until today. Once I saw conditions were looking good I quickly launched my kayak and paddled out to a good location. The current of the falling tide kept me drifting out of position. Inch Arran is a point extending into le Baie des Chaleurs at Dalhousie, New Brunswick, Canada. This is the northern-most coast of the province. In fact, just across the water on the right is part of the province of Quebec. The mountains in the distance are part of the Appalachian chain. Travelling to the right on the far shore leads to the Gaspé Penninsula.
Beautiful!

View attachment 112530
Fabulous colours on this one.

View attachment 112530
Holy wow this is INCREDIBLE. :inlove: I can’t even imagine how magical being on the water during this must have been.

View attachment 112530
Wow, what a shot. The colours are something else.

Holy wow this is INCREDIBLE. :inlove: I can’t even imagine how magical being on the water during this must have been.
Sitting so low in the kayak means the reflections on the water come right up to you rather than ending before they get to you as they do at a higher angle.
Sunrise or sunset on the water always seems to be extra magical.
I’m glad I made lots of photos because as it got darker my shutter speed kept getting slower. I was making DNG HDR brackets in PureShot in ISO priority mode at ISO 20. Eek! 1/7th of a second is rather blurry on the water. I kept setting my ISO a bit higher and then it kept getting darker. I ended up discarding about 40% of the brighter brackets because of blur.

I posted a B&W version of this pictures in the B&W challenge but when I compared this picture in B&W & colour the colour was so much nicer that I felt the need to post it somewhere, so why not here.
View attachment 112765
Yes, it’s beautiful in color. Hopefully there are lots and lots of bees happily buzzing?

Back
Top Bottom