FundyBrian’s Explorations

I’m doing too many things at once. I’m trying to integrate a meditation practice into my daily routine (shenpas are us), as well as following drawing courses, plus my other stuff.
Today with 20cm of fresh snow i started out clearing the driveway, shovelling off the deck, etc., and I kept looking at the snow on the trees thinking how unusual it was that a wind had not come up and shaken the snow off the trees. So, once I was done with snow clearing, I put everything else aside and went out to photograph.
View attachment 105067
One of my favourite things is photographing water surrounded by snow, or ice with flowing water. The water really should be frozen, too, but there’s enough current to keep it flowing.
I usually photograph with HDR, it’s a process I think can expand the limited dynamic range of the small sensor camera.
Today, for whatever reason, I photographed everything with DNG (In PureShot, as usual) and developed either in the Camera+ DNG Lab or in Snapseed RAW develop - that part is a complete departure. I just wanted to see the current state of RAW processing on the iPhone. I ended up preferring the Snapseed layout but it lacks the noise reduction suite that Camera+ has.
I’m looking forward to trying Affinity on the iPad Pro for DNG development. I have the feeling working on the the small causes me to go too far with some settings. I’ve had the experience that sometimes it looks great on my iPhone but not on my 27” 5K iMac screen.
So beautiful, and not a footprint in sight.

So beautiful, and not a footprint in sight.

You should have seen when I left, my little trail following the brook quite far out on the old beaver pond. I’m about halfway along the open water “brook”. I remember there’s water there in the summer so I was stepping carefully testing each step to be sure I wouldn’t fall in a hole. I think it is actually an underground spring coming up which is why the water is warmer and not frozen. That’s a tricky thing about ponds.

I’ve been busy following a 10 day online mindfulness summit. It supports what I have been learning through the Sounds True app and already shows an impact in my life.
I’ve also been busy following my drawing course, at this point just drawing things found around the house as subjects to practice course topics, like cross-contour lines.
IMG_7542.JPG

Here’s my latest drawing - an udu drum. I’m less satisfied with the photos of the drawings than the drawings. The photos seem to exaggerate the paper texture making the holes in the blacks more noticeable. I guess I’ll switch to smoother paper.
Our winter weather has been screwy. Swinging between -15 to -20°C, then getting a bit milder in snowstorms, then swinging to the opposite extreme, +5 or 10°C and then heavy rain taking away all the snow. Not good for depicting the magic of winter.
All this is to say my mind has been largely elsewhere than making photos. As I said at the start of my project - something is brewing. I feel it just below the surface. A new direction. The return to drawing will no doubt be part of this but more so when I get involved in the next phases - digital drawing and photorealistic painting.

Altered reality.
Watermarked1(2018-02-01-2211).jpg

I recently returned to try the SkyLab app again. In this case the sky effect seemed ok but maybe the birds made it a bit contrived. I rather like the moody feel to the photo.
Here’s the original for comparison.
Watermarked1(2018-02-02-0915).jpg

That dark headland meant the sky had to transition fairly abruptly. The app was really made to work with simpler horizons. If your photo has something crossing from the bottom to the top, such as a tree, then you’re out of luck.
When you have seen the original and go back to the altered version you notice the reflection of the headland need to be retouched to enhance the realist of the effect but if you’re not looking for problems it works ok.
It’s nothing that can’t be easily done in Photoshop but a lot quicker since you don’t have to start searching your files for a good sky. However, in Photoshop the situation of the tree going from the bottom to the top could also be managed quite well.

SkyLab was an app that I did not cover. My choice - I was having my articles mirrored at The App Whisperer and they were running a promotional contest with the app. My pan of it would not have been appreciated.

My main problem with SkyLab, as with all Brain Fever apps, is the masking. They really make it difficult. If your horizon isn’t straight, if you have trees or buildings or mountains, you have to mask manually, and there’s no magic wand selection tool like Leonardo or Limits like iColorama. You can’t zoom in far enough or reduce the size of the brush enough to do it manually, either.

Sometimes I’ll use SkyLab and create a really bad version, which I will take into another blending program to do the masking. So it’s not utterly useless.

I’m finding I don’t have time to edit more that about 1/3 of what I have photographed. They languish on my camera roll for a while and then I back them up and delete them from my phone. The sheer volume of photos weighs me down. The time it takes to back them up and organize them is longer than it takes to make them. It is important for there to be a good organization system of backing up and storing images so I will know where to look for them later should the need arise.
I either have to make fewer photos or delete a lot more after making them.

SkyLab was an app that I did not cover. My choice - I was having my articles mirrored at The App Whisperer and they were running a promotional contest with the app. My pan of it would not have been appreciated.

My main problem with SkyLab, as with all Brain Fever apps, is the masking. They really make it difficult. If your horizon isn’t straight, if you have trees or buildings or mountains, you have to mask manually, and there’s no magic wand selection tool like Leonardo or Limits like iColorama. You can’t zoom in far enough or reduce the size of the brush enough to do it manually, either.

Sometimes I’ll use SkyLab and create a really bad version, which I will take into another blending program to do the masking. So it’s not utterly useless.

Yes, it’s not a high end app but OK for some fun.

I’m finding I don’t have time to edit more that about 1/3 of what I have photographed. They languish on my camera roll for a while and then I back them up and delete them from my phone. The sheer volume of photos weighs me down. The time it takes to back them up and organize them is longer than it takes to make them. It is important for there to be a good organization system of backing up and storing images so I will know where to look for them later should the need arise.

I’m with you on that. I wish I had the fortitude to delete more of my images. And I could use a better organization system. I have about 1000 images in my miscellaneous folder....

I have a massive problem with this. It’s just so time consuming. I have decided I must be more ruthless with culling my photos.

Could have been written by me. And tomorrow is backup day [emoji849]

Altered reality.
View attachment 105565
I recently returned to try the SkyLab app again. In this case the sky effect seemed ok but maybe the birds made it a bit contrived. I rather like the moody feel to the photo.
View attachment 105566
That dark headland meant the sky had to transition fairly abruptly. The app was really made to work with simpler horizons. If your photo has something crossing from the bottom to the top, such as a tree, then you’re out of luck.
When you have seen the original and go back to the altered version you notice the reflection of the headland need to be retouched to enhance the realist of the effect but if you’re not looking for problems it works ok.
It’s nothing that can’t be easily done in Photoshop but a lot quicker since you don’t have to start searching your files for a good sky. However, in Photoshop the situation of the tree going from the bottom to the top could also be managed quite well.

Stunning!

I’ve been busy following a 10 day online mindfulness summit. It supports what I have been learning through the Sounds True app and already shows an impact in my life.
I’ve also been busy following my drawing course, at this point just drawing things found around the house as subjects to practice course topics, like cross-contour lines.
View attachment 105564
Here’s my latest drawing - an udu drum. I’m less satisfied with the photos of the drawings than the drawings. The photos seem to exaggerate the paper texture making the holes in the blacks more noticeable. I guess I’ll switch to smoother paper.
Our winter weather has been screwy. Swinging between -15 to -20°C, then getting a bit milder in snowstorms, then swinging to the opposite extreme, +5 or 10°C and then heavy rain taking away all the snow. Not good for depicting the magic of winter.
All this is to say my mind has been largely elsewhere than making photos. As I said at the start of my project - something is brewing. I feel it just below the surface. A new direction. The return to drawing will no doubt be part of this but more so when I get involved in the next phases - digital drawing and photorealistic painting.
Your drawing skills are impressive!! I like the paper texture in the photo, and don't feel it's too much. :thumbs:

Altered reality.
View attachment 105565
View attachment 105566
These are both lovely.... I must say my favorite is the SkyLab edit - it's beautiful! I think the geese look pretty realistic... I've seen that many times in real life.

To be honest, I did write an article on SkyLab. I just didn’t cross-post it on The App Whisperer.

https://enthusiasmnoted.wordpress.c...phy-apps-skylab-an-app-that-remains-grounded/

Another drawing. Arrange objects, shine a light on it to create light and shadows. Draw with values.
IMG_8125.JPG

I noticed that photographing the drawing with jpeg was more forgiving (compared to DNG). The heavy noise reduction applied by the iOS smoothed the tiny holes in the blacks caused by the paper texture. Even so, I could notice details in the photo I didn’t see at the time of photographing - namely, a few bits of eraser leaving black specs.
Interesting note: I did make a photo of the mushrooms to refer to but it could not get everything in focus. It didn’t have enough depth of field to reach from front to back with the 2.8 lens. I was using the 2x to avoid so much wide angle distortion.

Last edited:
Another drawing. Arrange objects, shine a light on it to create light and shadows. Draw with values.
View attachment 106158
I noticed that photographing the drawing with jpeg was more forgiving (compared to DNG). The heavy noise reduction applied by the iOS smoothed the tiny holes in the blacks caused by the paper texture. Even so, I could notice details in the photo I didn’t see at the time of photographing - namely, a few bits of eraser leaving black specs.
Interesting note: I did make a photo of the mushrooms to refer to but it could not get everything in focus. It didn’t have enough depth of field to reach from front to back with the 2.8 lens. I was using the 2x to avoid so much wide angle distortion.
Very nice, Brian!

View attachment 106158
Wow. I especially love how you created a background... all those lines! Did you erase the edges to get them so perfectly aligned?

Wow. I especially love how you created a background... all those lines! Did you erase the edges to get them so perfectly aligned?

The lines are supposed to convey the idea of a wooden cutting board but because it was bamboo the lines are all fairly straight. Yes, I did plan and draw them to be that shape but I did need to tidy up the edges a bit.
I just noticed the corners look darker in the thread above. It doesn’t show on my drawing. I must have introduced some vignetting as I photographed it.

Last edited:
This drawing is from an assignment to make a scene with things getting more indistinct as they disappear into the distance, or mist, in this case.
0BAA7AF8-AD58-4110-9CA3-684933B26619.jpeg

This view shows Owl’s Head (the big round headland at the back). The closer headland is Joel’s Head and the foreground trees are near Dixon Falls. A range of about 7km.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom