Future of photography

Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I have been feeling in the advancement of smartphone photography compared to regular cameras. It also helps to explain why tiny smartphone cameras are producing such unbelievable results compared to compact cameras with larger sensors. It’s all in the built-in computer power. The first noticeable clue was depth mode. This represents a major departure in the way cameras work. It’s hard to imagine how a traditional camera could add additional lenses.
I find this very exciting. Rather than taking away any mistique it bumps it up a whole order of magnitude. Current developments are nothing short of amazing.

One thing I’ve been wondering is why we don’t see more happening in stereo photography. We have the tiny cameras, and multiple cameras. 3D is already an established interest. The 3D viewers already exist. The smartphone has enough size to be able to place two cameras at a distance apart to mimic human two eye viewing.
The computational photography aspect is working more with video and moving the camera to provide the sense of 3D using the old wigglegram technique. We could have the real thing.

Last edited:
Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I have been feeling in the advancement of smartphone photography compared to regular cameras. It also helps to explain why tiny smartphone cameras are producing such unbelievable results compared to compact cameras with larger sensors. It’s all in the built-in computer power. The first noticeable clue was depth mode. This represents a major departure in the way cameras work. It’s hard to imagine how a traditional camera could add additional lenses.
I find this very exciting. Rather than taking away any mistique it bumps it up a whole order of magnitude. Current developments are nothing short of amazing.

One thing I’ve been wondering is why we don’t see more happening in stereo photography. We have the tiny cameras, and multiple cameras. 3D is already an established interest. The 3D viewers already exist. The smartphone has enough size to be able to place two cameras at a distance apart to mimic human two eye viewing.
The computational photography aspect is working more with video and moving the camera to provide the sense of 3D using the old wigglegram technique. We could have the real thing.
It truly is amazing how far we have come since the advent of mobile photography. It is easy for us to look at the lens on the back of the phone and be completely ignorant of the technology required to capture light, process it, and display it on screen: not to mention send it to a printer...

I would love the stereo/3D aspect of this. We live in such an exciting time technologically speaking.

I have worked in IT almost my entire life and I am still amazed that the computer, server, camera system, starts after pressing the power button. Not a given in my line of work ;):eek:

I can tell you with some certainty that retouching photos or drawing with an iPad Pro 12.9” and Apple Pencil is Much nicer than working with a drawing tablet on a computer. Going back to my Wacom tablet on my computer is just so clunky.

I can tell you with some certainty that retouching photos or drawing with an iPad Pro 12.9” and Apple Pencil is Much nicer than working with a drawing tablet on a computer. Going back to my Wacom tablet on my computer is just so clunky.
I'm with you Brian! I will probably step in at the 256GB level and grab that fancy iPencil too ;) That's $1278+tax :eek:

I see the terabyte of storage option adds around US$700 to the ‘build’.

Is that a ‘just because we can’ inflation? Or is there something about iOS that makes upgrading the storage more complex?

I see the terabyte of storage option adds around US$700 to the ‘build’.

Is that a ‘just because we can’ inflation? Or is there something about iOS that makes upgrading the storage more complex?
It's business as usual for Apple. They've always charged high prices for RAM upgrades.

So far I have found 256G to be plenty of space. I think of the iPad Pro as working space, not storage space. I move all my focus stacking images from my iPhone to the iPad Pro as well as all my DNG HDR image sets. With the add-on keyboard case (Logitech) it makes a good writing centre. It’s so easy to transfer files back and forth between iPhone, iPad and iMac using AirDrop. The only pitfall I have found is that Depth photos or Protrait mode photos cannot be transferred any way except via iCloud, or the depth map is lost and can’t be edited. The Apple Pencil is wonderful to work with. Much nicer than a Wacom tablet. Although it takes some getting used to to work on glass rather than the slightly “toothy’ surface of the Wacom, which feels more like paper for drawing. I’m hoping that over the winter I will have more time to get back to drawing again. Retouching photos has no such pre-conception about working surface so the glass feels fine.
Once I’m done editing on the iPad Pro I move my photos to my computer for filing and storage just like my iPhone photos. That’s why the storage space aspect isn’t that important on my iPad.
There are certain apps that I no longer use on my iPhone if the work is easier on my iPad. For instance, drawing and painting and more complex layers and compositing. The bigger screen has also made me recognize editing errors I was making on my iPhone edits, a specially with overdoing certain adjustments.
The bottom line, though, is that the main reason I went for the iPad Pro was to be able to use Affinity Photo. It opens up several special interests of mine that were stalled on the iPhone due to lack of development in those areas. If I just had more time!!! Affinity Photo isn’t yet up to Photoshop standards but getting closer all the time. In a way, Affinity Photo is like merging Photoshop with Lightroom. I used to think Photoshop was so intuitive to work with but recently when I went back for some “other camera” editing I was surprised how clunky it felt.
Affinity Designer is another game changer. It bridges Illustrator and InDesign.

Just ran across this among the rubble: The old Apple Pencil won't work with the new iPad Pro (and the new Pencil won't work with the old Pro).
Yes. I read that too. The new pan I’m has wireless charging and a button, programmable, I believe. Ah, progress....

Yes. I read that too. The new pan I’m has wireless charging and a button, programmable, I believe. Ah, progress....
F32DA7AB-F334-4A63-AEA6-A69CD4198B62.jpeg

Its funny how the original thread was about the future of photography and you Apple fan boys and girls end up turning it around to chat about Apple products......insert yawn emoji :lmao:

I know. Apple fan boys and girls do take the most appalling liberties. I think we should have stricter moderation around here and learn to keep conversations on track. I’ll raise it with Venomator at the next AGM.

Back
Top Bottom