• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

Discussion: Gearing up for the new iPhone XXX 2018

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Who's in the market for a new iPhone this year? The rumours are that there will be 3 new entries, one of them launching later. Anybody heard any useful leaks?

For me the only thing that would entice me would be 3 cameras or an improvement in the camera that would be a show stopper. It's such a big outlay these days that its difficult to justify and I still haven't run out of space on my 7+. Also, the accessories take months to catch up.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Who's in the market for a new iPhone this year? The rumours are that there will be 3 new entries, one of them launching later. Anybody heard any useful leaks?

For me the only thing that would entice me would be 3 cameras or an improvement in the camera that would be a show stopper. It's such a big outlay these days that its difficult to justify and I still haven't run out of space on my 7+. Also, the accessories take months to catch up.
I heard that they’re trying to keep the cost down to below £1,000 for the new ones because the X didn’t sell too well!!!!! :eek: £1,000???!!!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I am in no hurry to switch from my 7 Plus. My friend has an X and I absolutely hate that there’s no home button. Granted, I haven’t “played” on it much, but the few things I’ve tried to do (closing out apps, for one) seem sooooooo NOT user friendly and have me totally confused and frustrated. I’m sure I’d learn/get used to it (because I’d have to) if I had one, but I’m just not into this new iPhone. I also love fingerprint technology and don’t want to switch to facial recognition. I’m usually super excited about new Apple tech, but I’m not feelin’ this one at all. :barf:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I heard that they’re trying to keep the cost down to below £1,000 for the new ones because the X didn’t sell too well!!!!! :eek: £1,000???!!!
Well, that’s what I paid for my iPhone 7+ including an extra year’s warranty.
Yep... $949 for my 7 Plus. :barf: I’m still making my monthly payments.... think it’ll be paid off in November. I’m keeping this one as looooooong as I can.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs

I'd like to move from my 7 to something with a dual camera, but that might be a discount/refurb 8 Plus or X, depending on how the new ones look. In other ways, I still like the 7 just fine.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Gee, I remember when I first joined here there was a flurry of excitement at this time of the year and everybody was talking about getting the latest iPhone. Now, not only did many of the Mobitoggers not buy into last year’s model, there doesn’t seem much intention to buy into this year’s model. What, the same iPhone for 3 years?! Times are a-changing.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I heard that they’re trying to keep the cost down to below £1,000 for the new ones because the X didn’t sell too well!!!!!
That was just the usual breathless blather from "analysts" in the lead up to Apple's most recent financial report. After that report, you get:

"And that iPhone X -- which starts at $999, or $300 more than the iPhone 8 and $200 more than the iPhone 8 Plus -- was the top-selling Apple device every week of the quarter, according to CEO Tim Cook."

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Stickied until after the ‘BIG’ event... :whistle:

Also hear there will be the possibility of a new iPad - X... :sneaky:
Ok, Rog, give me the lowdown. How did you manage to get the movement on your avatar? I have a gif on mine but it doesn’t do anything.

Edit: hmm, maybe it wasn’t the right image but getting a gif as low as 500kb is tough

Last edited:

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone X
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Ok, Rog, give me the lowdown. How did you manage to get the movement on your avatar? I have a gif on mine but it doesn’t do anything.
More luck than jugement Ann... :whistle:

I was looking for a Green serpent avatar and this one popped out, so to speak... :lmao:

It does not move in the everyday viewing of threads and posts, only when it is clicked on for profile info... :rog:

Matt (Smooth) may be able to provide some Techie background detail, as
the whys and wherefores are beyond me... :D

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
More luck than jugement Ann... :whistle:

I was looking for a Green serpent avatar and this one popped out, so to speak... :lmao:

It does not move in the everyday viewing of threads and posts, only when it is clicked on for profile info... :rog:

Matt (Smooth) may be able to provide some Techie background detail, as
the whys and wherefores are beyond me... :D
Ha, ha, I got it. Not so easily defeated. :cool:

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Well, I can’t see any reason for upgrading. Nothing startlingly different as far as I can see.
I'm for wait and see. There's a new/improved sensor, a new HDR mode that sounds like it may eliminate ghosting, and a bunch of software stuff around the capture and processing. It'll be better, but whether that's incrementally better or a whole lot better, we won't know until people start shooting with it. I'm really after the dual cameras (upgrading from a 7), so if the XS turns out to be only a little better, I'd be happy going for a cut-price X or 8 Plus.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I'm probably not the best person to comment on this but I was genuinely toying with the idea of an iphone next time I change for two reasons.
1, the automatic updates on the operating system.
2, the huge amount of photographic apps that are available on the app store that are not available on Google Play.
But looking at these latest versions and the expense, it doesn't get me excited I'm afraid.