• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Going full Eggleston

mikro

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
So folks I've gone from absolutely not being able to wrap my mind around William Egglestons work to falling in love with it.

How do you guys feel about this style of work?

#atwarwiththeobvious

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1467070406.853487.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1467070425.878491.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1467070456.293458.jpg

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I'm not familiar with William Eggleston... [emoji16] [emoji849]

Are these images yours?

mikro

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
Yes they are mine. I think there's a documentary called "The colorful Mr Eggleston". Maybe on YouTube. Very interesting and eccentric man.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Yes they are mine. I think there's a documentary called "The colorful Mr Eggleston". Maybe on YouTube. Very interesting and eccentric man.
I'll need to check it out!

I like these images... color, form, shapes, and the "every day stuff" subject matter. Looking forward to seeing more!

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I like Eggleston's work a lot, not sure I'd try and replicate it but there's much to be learnt from it.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
So folks I've gone from absolutely not being able to wrap my mind around William Egglestons work to falling in love with it.

How do you guys feel about this style of work?

#atwarwiththeobvious

View attachment 78994

View attachment 78995

View attachment 78996
I wasn't familiar with him either, but I've had a look at some of his work and I like it. It's got a nostalgic feel (well, it has now). There are some Hipstamatic combos that reproduce that look, but the subject matter is just as important and the angles from which they're taken. His images look simple, but actually, if you try to recreate them, they're not simple at all. To reproduce them will take a lot of contortions I think. :)

mikro

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Mike
His work is certainly interesting. I wasn't trying to replicate his work as that would be quite futile! I was trying to run with the idea of focusing on color and contrast in the mundane every day things that are easily overlooked.

Do you ever feel like "ugh, I've photographed everything there is around me a million times, I can't get out and travel to exotic locations so what's left?" This is what brought me back to Eggleston. I thought to myself "that guy never tried to capture the Grand Canyon or the Great Wall of China".

Lately I've felt stunted not by gear or apps but trapped in my own surroundings and inability to travel very much outside this microcosm. So I've challenged myself to reach deeper and find the beauty in the obvious every day things like Eggleston did. It might be more fun if I had 25-30 leica's like he does but I'll see what I can do with a couple cell phones!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
His work is certainly interesting. I wasn't trying to replicate his work as that would be quite futile! I was trying to run with the idea of focusing on color and contrast in the mundane every day things that are easily overlooked.

Do you ever feel like "ugh, I've photographed everything there is around me a million times, I can't get out and travel to exotic locations so what's left?" This is what brought me back to Eggleston. I thought to myself "that guy never tried to capture the Grand Canyon or the Great Wall of China".

Lately I've felt stunted not by gear or apps but trapped in my own surroundings and inability to travel very much outside this microcosm. So I've challenged myself to reach deeper and find the beauty in the obvious every day things like Eggleston did. It might be more fun if I had 25-30 leica's like he does but I'll see what I can do with a couple cell phones!
Yes, and yes!! :thumbs: Keep at it and I've no doubt you will create wonderful images.

I discovered the joy-of-the-ordinary a few years ago when I participated in a 365 project here on MobiTog. It was a challenge to find something EVERY DAY to photograph.... and, like you say, it wasn't like I lived somewhere exotically beautiful. But there's beauty all around us - we just need to expand our *sight*.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I definitely hear you when you say 'I've photographed everything there is around me a million times'. We all need inspiration and this has obviously inspired you, great stuff :thumbs:
That 'inspiration' shows in the work, doesn't it? Some people take seemingly simple images of everyday things that make you just *stop* and look again. Barthes' punctum. Again :)

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
That 'inspiration' shows in the work, doesn't it? Some people take seemingly simple images of everyday things that make you just *stop* and look again. Barthes' punctum. Again :)
It's a difficult thing to pull off though. It may appear spontaneous and artless (and sometimes it is), but it can take a bit of planning and a good eye.