• > CONGRATULATIONS to our very own Matt (@Smooth) on his change in Marital status! He married Danielle today, Saturday 16th November! We wish then every happiness as they start their married life together... x x <
  • MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all future MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you have been notified!

Discussion: Google Pixel 3 - worth it or the best?

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Of course there is no 'best' phone! But a lot of different ones and most of them do a pretty good job.
After a view days now with the Pixel I'm can say it was the right decision for me. If I get a single good camera I'm perfectly fine with it.

I'll let you know about my out comings and tips & trick & do's & don't about this phone. So listen ... :cool:
Maybe I find the time to post some screenshots of the camera interface because this is what I missed most in all those fancy reviews!

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
One tip on improving the navigation and increase available display size - navigation gestures app! This app works really fine and navigation by just swiping is awesome when you accommodated to it.
With a little trick it's also possible to get rid of the navigation softkeys (or show it in an app when useful/needed via app; disabling needs the developer settings enabled but this all does not void warranty!).

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
sinnerjohn John, what are your thoughts about the Pixel? Confident? Issues? Let us know! ;) Unfortunately I didn't find time to take some shots the last days - too much to do! :confused:
So far so good. I've not really used the camera enough yet to say its the bees knees, but we will see. When every other manufacturer has gone for multiple lenses Google stuck with one. But is one good one better than three average ones? I think ImageArt may have answered that for us.

I'm coming from the Samsung S8 which does, even at two years old, have a very good camera. So the differences for me are harder to tell.
I'm impressed with the portrait mode, which was kind of awkward on the Samsung. Like I say I really need to use the camera more before making judgement. I've been reading on Reddit that people are not happy with the phone's macro abilities and the corporate answer to this was well Google never said it was a great phone for macro, which is kind of worrying!

The dreaded digital zoom is actually quite impressive with Google's magic software. I think I may actually dare to zoom a little when required.

Nothing to do with the camera, I do miss the flashing LED when you have an unread message, but its not a dealbreaker. I blame Apple for this as Google seem to take the same approach as Apple does and actively want you to be forever touching your device, looking if you have an alert or message.

Battery seems no worse than the S8, maybe even a little better. But that is pitting it against a two year old phone and I have turned AOD off which was always switched on on the Samsung.
Interface is very quick and smooth, but you would expect that on an almost pure Android device.

Give me a few months and we will see. All my new posts will be using the Pixel.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I think to some extent, expectations are sometimes governed by what you have become comfortable with. I was used to the iPhone image ‘look’ - less saturation, less sharpening so anything different felt a bit uncomfortable. Also, I look at an image and think, this one is definitely clearer and then when I zoom in on my iPad screen I think, oh, maybe not. My expectations have become so high that I think I perceive phone images (or even photos in general) to be much clearer than they actually are.

When I judge images in our challenges, I never think, gosh, the iPhone images are better than the Android ones because it’s all about how good the composition is and choice of subject. The differences are so minor at the resolution we see the images that there is no difference. If we were to blow up most of our images and put them on the wall then it would be more obvious but then I am sure we would be dissatisfied with both the iPhone and Android phones and realise that a DSLR is what we need. :lol: I wonder what Apple did to the iPhone images that they pasted on the big billboards? Would be interesting to know - or when you get up close do you still see the detail.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
I think this video shows pretty good that the judging is quite hard.
Point a little bit left or right and AI will apply different settings.
It also shows that to a certain degree it is a matter of taste which photo you like more . But what you must not forget those blazing shots are only because of the software - you can't change any settings (yes, a little).
I would find it interesting how those phones perform in manual mode (at least switch off HDR etc.).

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Macro
IMG_20190409_085750.jpg

macro is shocking, for a phone camera the focal range is very different than anything I've encountered before. something usually a phone camera is good at.

IMG_20190409_085728_HDR.jpg

slightly better using an app with more control, but not much.

IMG_20190409_085933.jpg

move back a little for way better quality. the official answer seems to be move back and then use zoom hmm.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Macro
View attachment 144079

macro is shocking, for a phone camera the focal range is very different than anything I've encountered before. something usually a phone camera is good at.

View attachment 144080

View attachment 144081

move back a little for way better quality. the official answer seems to be move back and then use zoom hmm.
The Huawei P20 Pro was like this. You had to be much further away than with an iPhone.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Macro
View attachment 144079

View attachment 144080

View attachment 144081

With the iPhone 7+, the distance looks a little closer. However the optical x2 makes a massive difference and this is why I loved this phone so much from the beginning.

IMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
With the picture quality the P3 delivers it is very usable without additional lenses IMHO.
Of course a lens would probably produce even better quality but then you would loose the comfort of having a tiny and slim device with you.

I thought about getting a lens to have a 50mm equivalent but with 2x zoom I don't need it.

Perhaps a Moment/SIRUI 2x tele (both can share the Moment case).

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
With the iPhone 7+, the distance looks a little closer. However the optical x2 makes a massive difference and this is why I loved this phone so much from the beginning.

View attachment 144133

View attachment 144134
Yes that's much closer, what I'd expect :notworthy:. You could get quite close with the Samsung as well. Its a minor grumble really as I don't do a lot of macro'ing, just an observation. lets wait till the bug season starts and then see :D

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
BTW sinnerjohn John - to emulate the notifier LED you can use this APP https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ledblinker
I just installed the free version to be notified on SMS and phone calls. This version is limited to a few apps you can add to taken into account (charge levels, gmail, sms, calls) but as I only want to be notified for SMS+calls it's fine.

What it does? Getting a coloured point on the screen blinking (AlwaysOnDisplay has to be switched off) for missed calls/SMS.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
BTW sinnerjohn John - to emulate the notifier LED you can use this APP https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ledblinker
I just installed the free version to be notified on SMS and phone calls. This version is limited to a few apps you can add to taken into account (charge levels, gmail, sms, calls) but as I only want to be notified for SMS+calls it's fine.

What it does? Getting a coloured point on the screen blinking (AlwaysOnDisplay has to be switched off) for missed calls/SMS.
Interesting, I was wondering how it would work with no LED !

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
If we were to blow up most of our images and put them on the wall then it would be more obvious but then I am sure we would be dissatisfied with both the iPhone and Android phones and realise that a DSLR is what we need. :lol:
Well, I have my doubts that we would be that disappointed. I did a photo book 2 years ago from a family trip to Toscany.
A4 in size and the greater part of the images were taken with my Olympus E-M1, some taken with different smartphones. You haven't seen any big difference and I'm pretty sure it would have been okay for A3 as well.
In bigger sizes you won't tip your nose to the image, you would keep a certain distance to watch it.