• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Discussion: Google Pixel 3 - worth it or the best?

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
For a digital zoom it's okay, but as you can see most of the details are gone.
I would still used it for less detailed subject like - maybe - architectural shots or so with well defined lines and borders.
For nature photographers :D it's not that good.
Like always - if you are aware what it is capable of it will work.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
For a digital zoom it's okay, but as you can see most of the details are gone.
I would still used it for less detailed subject like - maybe - architectural shots or so with well defined lines and borders.
For nature photographers :D it's not that good.
Like always - if you are aware what it is capable of it will work.
Yes, the zoom of the van looks much better. But maybe that's due to the subject (lots of clear, straight lines and less detail)?

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Even though I doubt the use of such pictures it's pretty impressive what this camera produces in those lighting conditions. Give it a little more light and you get quite usable photos!
Even it was full moon there was very poor light...

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Today I tried some action shots, most of them with zoom and AF tracking. Okay, I'd prefer using my Olympus for things like that but it is not too bad.
All shots are post processed (colour contrast, sharpness - like that).
Tracking works quite well if you hit the subject but takes some tries - also because of the distance and the resulting size.
IMG_20190422_133238_exported_466_1555933123005-01.jpeg
IMG_20190422_133241_exported_866_1555933061024-01.jpeg
IMG_20190422_134546-01.jpeg
MVIMG_20190422_134627-01.jpeg

Last edited:

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
After using the Pixel for quite a while it's time to draw a first conclusion.
Would I buy it again? Yes.
It delivers most of the time very good pictures. Perfect in good lighting conditions, very good quality in low light.
With its zoom algorithm perfectly usable for portrait shots and - a kind of - macro.
The AF tracking works very well for moving subjects. Even though you are nailed to its automatic mode, the 'motion' mode lets you capture / select the right frame.
Still I personally would like to have a PRO mode where can set the settings I would like to use for a shot. I don't know if that would be possible because the camera relies heavily on computing the results. Of course you can use other apps like ProShot or HD Camera Pro but as the manufacturers only offer the camera interfaces to 3rd parties they mostly lack the quality of the original ones.
Let's see what Google will offer us in the future!
Finally, I'd say for about 95% of the use cases this point & shoot camera does it right.
But you must not make the mistake it could replace a descent dedicated camera in all circumstances. It won't work! Using it for a city trip or the next holiday it's perfect.

sinnerjohn John, what's your opinion about the Pixel?

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
John, what's your opinion about the Pixel?
Well, so far so good. I've not had it for as long as you, but I'd agree with your conclusions.
Not used it extensively as yet, but when I have used it I've been very impressed with the straight from the camera images.
Manual mode would have made the camera more interesting for sure, but the software seems to do a decent job and aren't all iphones point and shoot :D
I'm a little concerned about battery life, but it is a big screen and hey most smart phones (apart from the Huawei) seem to have the same battery worry.
Putting the camera to one side, the phone works like a dream in all other aspects. Not had a chance to use the spam call screening yet but that should be fun!
Going back to the camera, which is the main reason I have a smartphone, I'm not sure I'd use the AI zoom that much but its nice to know it does a pretty good job in an emergency. Still a little peeved about the focus range, I'm pretty sure the Samsung can get much closer.
Its a safe bet that the Pixel 4 will have more than one rear camera this year, but as it stands I'm not that jealous of all the multi camera phones out there. Portrait mode is pretty good even with one lens.
This is a totally unedited shot from the weekend.
IMG_20190420_151051.jpg

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Battery life was also an issue I was concerned, but after I deactivated some services and went back to 'normal' (with a new phone there is a lot of testing and touching) use it's doing alright.
It brings me perfectly through the day and with low usage even 1.5 days.
In the evening I'll charge it anyway, so it's fine for me.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Battery life was also an issue I was concerned, but after I deactivated some services and went back to 'normal' (with a new phone there is a lot of testing and touching) use it's doing alright.
It brings me perfectly through the day and with low usage even 1.5 days.
In the evening I'll charge it anyway, so it's fine for me.
Yes the battery will get you through the day which is perfectly reasonable. I took about 90 photos on Saturday afternoon and had juice left in the tank when I arrived home, so not so bad.
Hope you are following the P20 thread btw. I think I'm happier with the Pixel than I would have been with the P20.

I did forget to add that this is the first phone I've owned that has no expandable memory. Which may have been a problem as I like my music, but as I'm now using Spotify it's not really an issue. Plus the Pixel has unlimited full resolution uploads to Google Photos for a couple of years :)
I was slightly worried yesterday when I plugged it into my PC and nothing happened, no drive, no photos :eek: But then I realised you have to change the settings and all was ok :rolleyes:

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Now this is interesting... essentially the same camera on a cheeper phone:

I will be sitting back and waiting for reviews but it's got my attension now.
I've been following this too. To be honest I don't think the Pixel 3 is THAT expensive now, especially compared with the top of the range offerings from Apple, Samsung and Huawei.
Problem is, does anyone really want a cheaper version of anything? How many iphone XR or Galaxy Lite users are there on Mobitog?
But then if the camera is the same, I can see the appeal.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Now this is interesting... essentially the same camera on a cheeper phone:

I will be sitting back and waiting for reviews but it's got my attension now.
I've seen two deals already. One had a free Google home hub, the other had a free Chrome Book.

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I've been following this too. To be honest I don't think the Pixel 3 is THAT expensive now, especially compared with the top of the range offerings from Apple, Samsung and Huawei.
Problem is, does anyone really want a cheaper version of anything? How many iphone XR or Galaxy Lite users are there on Mobitog?
But then if the camera is the same, I can see the appeal.
Quite, I'd miss a snappy processor, fast charging, quality screen, NFC and all the other good stuff none of the rest of my family have.:D