• > CONGRATULATIONS to our very own Matt (@Smooth) on his change in Marital status! He married Danielle today, Saturday 16th November! We wish then every happiness as they start their married life together... x x <
  • MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all future MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you have been notified!

Discussion: Google Pixel 3 - worth it or the best?

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
2nd Samsung S10:

Think you will get the results even without speaking German. Pictures were selected by the readers not by professionals, just to mention.
Nice that the selection was by readers not 'experts'. Blind testing there I went for half of the Pixel and half of the One Plus.
Not sure what that says !!

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Also keep in mind that a small shift in perspective will cause different results. I'm pretty satisfied with my Pixel. I spent the money on more holidays! :D

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Blind testing there I went for half of the Pixel and half of the One Plus.
Not sure what that says !!
My guess: The differences among the top 3 or top 5 are pretty small, so the precise rankings don't mean much. Any of the top group will do you fine (as far as photos go), though any one person may prefer the "look" of photos from a particular phone. I just hope they all go on leapfrogging each other.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Totally agree. Some like it more natural some more pop colours. All are pretty good and on a pretty high level.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
I'm stuck on a 2 yr contract so I can only dream at the moment. But then the Pixel 5 will be out :sneaky:
Don't dream, take pictures! The pictures are more than good. The last step is you! ;)

I wouldn't like a phone where lenses are popping out of the case or stuff like that. A good zoom is the only missing part. So let's wait for that!

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Totally agree. Some like it more natural some more pop colours. All are pretty good and on a pretty high level.
I've just started reading a book titled Hit Makers by Derek Thompson. I'm not far enough into yet to decide whether it's recommendable, but it's an examination of why some songs/paintings/photos/etc. become famous yet others probably equally good don't. His thesis at the moment is that people tend to favor paintings and songs they're familiar with -- the ones that have the greatest exposure -- over ones they've had little or no exposure to.

So I took a casual browse through the comparison photos in the article you linked to, and -- guess what? -- I picked the iPhone photos in about half the cases. :lmao: And of the iPhone photos, about half the time I picked the photo from the iPhone Xs, which I have, over the iPhone 11 Pro. So we like to see what we expect to see.:D

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
There is one big thing - the astro-mode (kicks in when the view is very dark and the phone very stable, also have to activate night sight). Also a level helper is displayed to keep the phone exact horizontal and I think it comes up only when you do something like landscape shots (shows how many degrees you tilt your phone).

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
There is one big thing - the astro-mode (kicks in when the view is very dark and the phone very stable, also have to activate night sight). Also a level helper is displayed to keep the phone exact horizontal and I think it comes up only when you do something like landscape shots (shows how many degrees you tilt your phone).
Yes I've seen the level indicator, it's hard to get it to come on. The astro I don't think I'll ever need unless I holiday in Iceland!!

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
The astro I don't think I'll ever need unless I holiday in Iceland!!
Yes. I think I have to play around with it and see when and how I could make use of it for my type of shots. By now I only had some more or less stupid tries, nothing else.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Ah but you have actual optical zoom yes?
Yes. I wouldn't call it a zoom since it's fixed at 2X, not variable, but it's quite good. Both would be better. :D (There is digital zoom on the iPhones, but it's not as good.)

Right now, I usually carry the Moment add-on tele lens in my pocket, so I can get 4X optical when I need it (when stalking egrets, for example). It'd be great not to need that.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Yes. I wouldn't call it a zoom since it's fixed at 2X, not variable, but it's quite good. Both would be better. :D (There is digital zoom on the iPhones, but it's not as good.)

Right now, I usually carry the Moment add-on tele lens in my pocket, so I can get 4X optical when I need it (when stalking egrets, for example). It'd be great not to need that.
Ah, so that is the secret of your great egret images! I’m waiting for the pre-ordered Moment case to arrive for the 11 but only expected late Nov probably not in time for my holiday. :( So do I take my 7+ with me??