• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

Discussion: Google Pixel 3 - worth it or the best?

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
For the Pixel owners - some folks from XDA modded the stock camera and added some descent features one might like!

As there are
- force astro mode (it's always on but of course doesn't really make sense during day but might on a night scene. Have to do some testing)
- added light painting mode
- added an option in which mode the camera will start (like night sight, portrait or normal mode)
- 1080p60fps (forced!)
- max zoom level up to 50x (okay, not really useful but up to 12x is okay)
- change frame count for ZSL (= zero shutter lag) shots up to 30 frames to reduce noise
- a ton of settings in regards of de-noise, saturation just to name a few
- LIB patcher function (think it's overwriting default settings of the stock camera libraries)

This app can be installed in addition to the stock camera. So if you don't like it just remove it again and you are back to normal.
It's amazing what those guys do with this app.

Here's the link to the XDA forum: [GCam] Camera PX for Google Pixel 1 / 2 / 3 / 3a / 4

Ryn S

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ryn S
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I think to some extent, expectations are sometimes governed by what you have become comfortable with. I was used to the iPhone image ‘look’ - less saturation, less sharpening so anything different felt a bit uncomfortable. Also, I look at an image and think, this one is definitely clearer and then when I zoom in on my iPad screen I think, oh, maybe not. My expectations have become so high that I think I perceive phone images (or even photos in general) to be much clearer than they actually are.

When I judge images in our challenges, I never think, gosh, the iPhone images are better than the Android ones because it’s all about how good the composition is and choice of subject. The differences are so minor at the resolution we see the images that there is no difference. If we were to blow up most of our images and put them on the wall then it would be more obvious but then I am sure we would be dissatisfied with both the iPhone and Android phones and realise that a DSLR is what we need. :lol: I wonder what Apple did to the iPhone images that they pasted on the big billboards? Would be interesting to know - or when you get up close do you still see the detail.
Several printers have posted that they can print a very good image regardless of your cameras pixel capabilities...and they were talking frameable wall art. I’ll look for the claims and repost here when Imfind them.

gwphotos73

MobiStarter
Device
Pixel
Pixel 3 owner since March '19. It's taken some fantastic shots. Can concur that Night Sight is also great when applied in daytime. Not happy with some of Google's updates to the camera app; especially removing burst mode. Only thing I still envy about iPhones is the ability to control shutter speed.

TomHH

MobiPassionista
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel