• > CONGRATULATIONS to our very own Matt (@Smooth) on his change in Marital status! He married Danielle today, Saturday 16th November! We wish then every happiness as they start their married life together... x x <
  • MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all future MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you have been notified!

Graphite by Becasso

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Just a general comment about subscriptions. I understand the need for developers to get enough return on selling their apps to make a go of it. App sales on the App Store is pretty well a numbers game. If your app is widely liked you sell lots of apps and get a good return. If you dabble in fringe areas your app may be great but it appeals only to a very small market. Some developers do it anyhow because that is what interests them.

To me subscriptions go against the spirit of using apps on the iPhone. Photo enthusiasts use a lot of different apps in combination looking for a certain look to satisfy the needs of a particular image. I think subscriptions would severely limit that spirit of exploration.

I just looked it up on my phone and I currently have 613 apps! The highest number I have had so far. About 2/3 of those are photo apps. I’ll try out new things and let go of those that don’t do what I want. I let go of everything Adobe on my iDevices because their subscription system seemed rather mean spirited. They have the expertise to make a very comprehensive mobile photo app but they don’t because their focus is always to get you back to the desktop. I dropped a few other apps that adopted subscriptions. In some cases I also let go of their non-subscription apps as well. If the subscription model gains traction, which I sincerely hope it doesn’t, I will no doubt severely cut back my use of extra apps.

I don’t mind paying a reasonable price for an app. I have paid full price for plenty of apps. To me $10 is a lot for an app. $4.99 to $6.99 Cdn is the more typical upper end for apps. But have a look at what you get for the money. For instance, one of the biggest and most comprehensive apps on iPad is Affinity Photo, around $28 Cdn. I didn’t buy Affinity because I had an iPad. I bought an iPad Pro specifically so I could run Affinity Photo since it allows me to do things on a mobile device that I couldn’t do before. So if I’m paying that much for an app I expect something of a similar scale as Affinity Photo. In other words, a game changer.

Mike in VT

MobiStarter
Real Name
Mike in VT
Device
iPhone 7
Just a general comment about subscriptions. I understand the need for developers to get enough return on selling their apps to make a go of it. App sales on the App Store is pretty well a numbers game. If your app is widely liked you sell lots of apps and get a good return. If you dabble in fringe areas your app may be great but it appeals only to a very small market. Some developers do it anyhow because that is what interests them.

To me subscriptions go against the spirit of using apps on the iPhone. Photo enthusiasts use a lot of different apps in combination looking for a certain look to satisfy the needs of a particular image. I think subscriptions would severely limit that spirit of exploration.

I just looked it up on my phone and I currently have 613 apps! The highest number I have had so far. About 2/3 of those are photo apps. I’ll try out new things and let go of those that don’t do what I want. I let go of everything Adobe on my iDevices because their subscription system seemed rather mean spirited. They have the expertise to make a very comprehensive mobile photo app but they don’t because their focus is always to get you back to the desktop. I dropped a few other apps that adopted subscriptions. In some cases I also let go of their non-subscription apps as well. If the subscription model gains traction, which I sincerely hope it doesn’t, I will no doubt severely cut back my use of extra apps.

I don’t mind paying a reasonable price for an app. I have paid full price for plenty of apps. To me $10 is a lot for an app. $4.99 to $6.99 Cdn is the more typical upper end for apps. But have a look at what you get for the money. For instance, one of the biggest and most comprehensive apps on iPad is Affinity Photo, around $28 Cdn. I didn’t buy Affinity because I had an iPad. I bought an iPad Pro specifically so I could run Affinity Photo since it allows me to do things on a mobile device that I couldn’t do before. So if I’m paying that much for an app I expect something of a similar scale as Affinity Photo. In other words, a game changer.
I dumped all my Adobe products as well. I’m dumping VSCO after seeing my poor returns (I.e. finding equal or better apps for much less). I didn’t realize this new app was that much. I can’t bring myself to paying anything over $15 for an app. Unless they offer this forum’s users a huge discount, I’ll have to sit this one out.

Sebastian_DM

Graphite - Becausso...
Developer
Real Name
Sebastian Pasewaldt
Device
iPhone X
Hello Mobitoggers. Please find the link to participate in the Beta Program: https://testflight.apple.com/join/1F1DxBil
Everybody who has this link, can freely participate, but we have limited the number of seats to 150. So please feel free to share within the community, with friends and family.

Further, Thank you very much for your thoughts on subscriptions. Our team had a hard time to decide to go for subscriptions. The motivation to go for subscription was pretty straight forward: Neither paid-upfront, nor free + in-app-purchases, has been a business model that is suited to pay the bills. In order to release Graphite approx 13.000 single more or less complex code changes were necessary; Research and design not included. Thus, it is actually a lot of work associated to an app.

Since there does not exists a concept of paid updates or something similar, we decided to go for subscriptions. Nevertheless, we are not a 100% happy with the current implementation, since casual users have to pay the same amount of money, as power users, or people who are using it to implement their commercial business. We are thinking of a more differentiated pricing model that is fair, transparent and also easy to understand. As you can imagine this more than trivial.

As mentioned before: By participating in the beta, you will get all premium features for free. Unfortunately (for us), you won't be able to rate or review our app on the App Store, which is very crucial for getting a better visibility. For the first 14 days after release, we also offer a launch discount of 50%. We hope that this is a little bit fair.

Thanks again for all your feedback and thoughts! Have a nice weekend.

Image from iOS (14).jpg
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2991.JPG

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Semi-solarized effect
A6A18F52-0B58-4B33-8BAD-BFAE8C9B8A22.jpeg

By some extreme adjustments to brightness, contrast, and highlights I ended up with outlines with sort of a solarized effect in the shadows.
You can tell I got tired of the white frames. After adjusting them every which way I found I preferred turning them off.
Graphite.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Semi-solarized effect
View attachment 150797
By some extreme adjustments to brightness, contrast, and highlights I ended up with outlines with sort of a solarized effect in the shadows.
You can tell I got tired of the white frames. After adjusting them every which way I found I preferred turning them off.
Graphite.
That's very effective with the subject. :thumbs:

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
What did you use to get the fab, clear background? :notworthy:
So, my process is this:
1. I cut out the bird in SuperimposeX
2. I take the original into iColorama and choose Style>Simplify>4
9896F132-2D41-4249-8CAC-9B2240C8C185.jpeg

3. I then choose Brush>Clone and get a large rough brush and move parts of the green over the other parts
B66B8CC1-DCAA-4042-A468-9E2DBE3CDE4E.jpeg

4. Then its Style>Simplify>4 again and Viola!
99B351C5-F772-4C6E-99E6-68807EC74D2C.jpeg

I then put the bird back on. Sometimes the edges look a little too hard and defined so I take this into Procreate and with a small brush I just smudge the edges. This is one of my special tricks :sneaky:

A0446DFD-EE52-4A5D-BF49-ACED7AB402A1.jpeg

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hello Mobitoggers. Please find the link to participate in the Beta Program: https://testflight.apple.com/join/1F1DxBil
Everybody who has this link, can freely participate, but we have limited the number of seats to 150. So please feel free to share within the community, with friends and family.

Further, Thank you very much for your thoughts on subscriptions. Our team had a hard time to decide to go for subscriptions. The motivation to go for subscription was pretty straight forward: Neither paid-upfront, nor free + in-app-purchases, has been a business model that is suited to pay the bills. In order to release Graphite approx 13.000 single more or less complex code changes were necessary; Research and design not included. Thus, it is actually a lot of work associated to an app.

Since there does not exists a concept of paid updates or something similar, we decided to go for subscriptions. Nevertheless, we are not a 100% happy with the current implementation, since casual users have to pay the same amount of money, as power users, or people who are using it to implement their commercial business. We are thinking of a more differentiated pricing model that is fair, transparent and also easy to understand. As you can imagine this more than trivial.

As mentioned before: By participating in the beta, you will get all premium features for free. Unfortunately (for us), you won't be able to rate or review our app on the App Store, which is very crucial for getting a better visibility. For the first 14 days after release, we also offer a launch discount of 50%. We hope that this is a little bit fair.

Thanks again for all your feedback and thoughts! Have a nice weekend.

View attachment 150713View attachment 150714View attachment 150714
I know it’s Apple pushing this subscription model. I would prefer to pay for upgrades which aren’t available. Well, if you put it on half price I would pay for that.

Hah, I recognise that from Hong Kong!

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I know it’s Apple pushing this subscription model. I would prefer to pay for upgrades which aren’t available. Well, if you put it on half price I would pay for that.

Hah, I recognise that from Hong Kong!
How about a subscription model where you only pay In months when you use the app? If you don’t use the app for 3 months you don’t pay for those months.

I think where subscriptions went wrong is that the subscription prices started out way too high. If it was $4.00/year I think that might not have triggered such a huge wave of opposition. But lots of apps are charging much more and the difference between the old and new systems was too great a step. A quantum leap.

I would be surprised if users will ever go for more than 2 or 3 apps by subscription at a time.
Even at $0.99/ per month, when you multiply that by even just 50 or 60 apps it gets way out of hand.

From the app developer‘s side, they just see their own app, and that one subscription per year doesn’t seem like much in the big picture. But this also assumes their app is so great and so widely useful that the users won‘t want any other apps as well. When you take into account the user will be using many other apps, perhaps hundreds, and if many others involve subscriptions the app better be pretty special to be on that short list of apps the user is willing to pay by subscription.

Apps on the subscription list will not be specialty single purpose apps. They will have to do a lot more than just one effect.

Apps that contribute towards the user’s overall education and advancement in photo editing knowledge have a better chance at success.
An app that continues to deliver new knowledge and photo editing skill over time will do better than ones where you bought the package and are expected to continue paying for the same old thing.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
So, my process is this:
1. I cut out the bird in SuperimposeX
2. I take the original into iColorama and choose Style>Simplify>4
View attachment 150800

3. I then choose Brush>Clone and get a large rough brush and move parts of the green over the other parts
View attachment 150801

4. Then its Style>Simplify>4 again and Viola!
View attachment 150802

I then put the bird back on. Sometimes the edges look a little too hard and defined so I take this into Procreate and with a small brush I just smudge the edges. This is one of my special tricks :sneaky:

View attachment 150803
Amazing!! :notworthy:

Sebastian_DM

Graphite - Becausso...
Developer
Real Name
Sebastian Pasewaldt
Device
iPhone X
FundyBrian : Thanks for the beautiful images and your thoughts on Graphite. Please find below some answers/replys to your thoughts:

"It seems a repeating texture pattern has been revealed. Graphite."
Spoiler Alert: Actually Graphite uses repeating, tilable textures to create the effect, but mostly align them to image elements. In your case we decided to achieve a more strict and regular effect, so it is intended by design.

"After adjusting them every which way I found I preferred turning them off."
We think this is a good idea. We will add this to our feature roadmap. Most likely, we will add an option in the settings dialog so that a user can turn them globally off.

Additionally, I like your thoughts on subscriptions and especially the education idea. We know that our apps already achieved some kind of "teaching" or "learning" effect for users. At least we got feedback into this direction and also implemented first school projects. In general we hope that with our tools, users educate themself to become digital artists.

Attached you find a file, where we tried to implement a smudging tool within Graphite. Not sure which MobiToger requested it, butmost likely it will hit the store with one of the next updates.
out_smudged.png

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
FundyBrian : Thanks for the beautiful images and your thoughts on Graphite. Please find below some answers/replys to your thoughts:

Spoiler Alert: Actually Graphite uses repeating, tilable textures to create the effect, but mostly align them to image elements. In your case we decided to achieve a more strict and regular effect, so it is intended by design.

We think this is a good idea. We will add this to our feature roadmap. Most likely, we will add an option in the settings dialog so that a user can turn them globally off.

Additionally, I like your thoughts on subscriptions and especially the education idea. We know that our apps already achieved some kind of "teaching" or "learning" effect for users. At least we got feedback into this direction and also implemented first school projects. In general we hope that with our tools, users educate themself to become digital artists.

Attached you find a file, where we tried to implement a smudging tool within Graphite. Not sure which MobiToger requested it, butmost likely it will hit the store with one of the next updates.View attachment 150871
It was me who asked for a Smudger. I think it’ll be a great addition. I’m enjoying testing the app, but I too am going to need a lot of convincing to pay so much for it (even though I know the reasons behind the route you’re taking).

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Attached you find a file, where we tried to implement a smudging tool within Graphite. Not sure which MobiToger requested it, butmost likely it will hit the store with one of the next updates.View attachment 150871
I have sent detailed comments to you via the app.
In my notes I mentioned a blender used in pencil drawing. I guess it acts like a smudge tool. It isn’t really a “brush“ in the usual sense but a blender brush would be great.

I would like to see more apps take it on as a personal mission to help educate users in Creative photo editing. You get the app and you’re on your own. Imagine an app in which the controls were demonstrated. There are several apps in which users gain some proficiency with the app but the information learned does not translate to other graphics apps or contribute to the users understanding of how photo editing works.

Most of the controls in Graphite are well laid out and easy to understand and follow standard convention of how photo editing tools work. What the user learns here can be applied to other apps or even desktop programs.

The exception is the colour section. Here we leave adjustments behind and switch to presets or filters. The names are meaningless and even if you find one you like and want to use it again, you don’t have any idea what is being done to achieve the effect. The user is just mindlessly tapping buttons to see what happens. Button tapping is NOT photo editing You can’t possibly remember what they all do so every single time you go to edit an image you are reduced to more mindless button tapping and hoping to see something you like. In other words, you are deprived from learning anything. This type of photo editing is called ”dumbing-us-down“. You learn nothing and become reliant on a bunch of pre-made filters. Even if you find a filter you like the same filter doesn't exist in any other app so even the overall experience is not useful in other apps.

Please, please, please, do Not take this dumbing-us-down button tapping to any schools. Kids can do much more creative work with the regular colour controls.

It would be far better to use regular colour controls, whether they are the simple warm/cool & tint sliders, white balance, or RGB sliders, or curves, and what is learned in Graphite would be directly useful in any other photo editing app.

Colour controls are easy enough to learn and the user has the experience of exercising their own creativity rather than using a preset made by someone else. A simple set of colour controls is much more versatile that having 1000 presets.

So, if you are really serious about wanting Graphite to be a useful educational tool then the button tapping colour preset section with meaningless names has to go.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Spoiler Alert: Actually Graphite uses repeating, tilable textures to create the effect, but mostly align them to image elements. In your case we decided to achieve a more strict and regular effect, so it is intended
The dark vertical lines in the sky are nice enough. I’m referring to the 30 white rectangles covering the whole image. That looks like a tiling glitch to me.